For the past few days, I have been using Homey SHS for my entire Homey setup. Everything is working as expected, but almost every night, random apps crash with the following message:
Exit Code: null, Exit Signal: SIGKILL
When I restart the apps, they work normally again.
I think SHS still kills apps that consume “too much” RAM (which for SHS is a bit weird, as it typically runs on systems that have much more RAM than the Homey hardware).
If that’s the case, there’s really nothing you can do other than restarting apps from a periodic flow.
Is it possible that the issue is not that the apps are using too much memory, but that the Docker container itself is consuming too much memory?
I don’t think SHS will consider the amount of memory used by the container. Docker itself will not start killing individual Homey apps.
The strange thing is that I’ve been using some of these apps on the Homey Pro for years, and now suddenly they seem to be using too much memory on the Homey SHS.
Does SHS have Insights too? If so, you could try and find out if excessive RAM is the issue, it should show up on the RAM chart for the apps that got killed.
It’s very strange that both apps seem to have gotten killed, and restarted, at exactly the same time
Do you perhaps have something external that is restarting the entire container periodically?
That’s not extreme high RAM usage, in fact ~80MBs are very usual values.
To compare, this is the high RAM graph of one of my apps, no problem at all:
There’s nothing that restarts the container. In fact, if I restart the container, the problem goes away. Other apps also continue to work normally