Homey Pro (Early 2023) - Sunset Flows

Why has this topic gone completely off-topic? Can we keep it clean and stick to the actual issue?

1 Like

I think Dirk explained exactly two posts before yours:

But the title could be adjusted …- sunset flows…- z-wave issues

2 Likes

Hi all,
I am reasonably new to the Homey and coming from similar other smart home hubs.
I would like to know if the “sunset” and “sunrise” trig issue has been resolved yet?
I have the HP23 and have been struggling for a long time to get the sunrise or sunset to switch ON or Off some switches for lights but have not really got them to work reliably and have ended up using “a set time” to switch the lights On or Off.

I find those “sunrise” and “sunset” triggers being the basic foundations in a smart home system so I am rather surprised that they have not been resolved. (Maybe they have been resolved but they do not work in my Homey Pro 2023.)

A workaround is using the Sun Events app. Which is much more flexible as well.

So far I haven’t read about any problems with the “sunrise” and “sunset” triggers not working reliably. Either they work or they don’t.
So are you sure that the flows didn’t start, or did the switches possibly not react, e.g. because the connection to Homey was interrupted?
Can you describe your problems in more detail. Can you share a flow?

To check if the flow/s is/are triggered or not, you can add a timeline notification after the trigger card, like this:

Thank you “Peter_Kawa” and “Fantross” for your replies.
I have about 5-6 different light flows where sunset simply activates a switch for the light.
My Sunset trigger is working some times but the Sunrise has not been working.
After reading some more posts here on the forum I did a power off-waiting 10 minutes-power on of the Homey Pro and that seems to have made the Sunrise/Sunset to be working better. I have also tried the Sun Events app and that seems also to work very good.
So it seems like I have managed to get the switches working as should.
Again, thanks for your information and help.

2 Likes

Weird. If you still use the build-in flow cards for sunrise and sunset, so not the Sun Events app, and you notice problems again, please contact Athom without restarting Homey (PTP). You may need to send a diagnostic report to Athom so they can identify the problem. If you restart Homey then the internal log report will be cleared and Athom will no longer be able to detect an issue.
To make the flows still work, you could duplicate the flows and use the Sun Events App instead. Please don’t forget to disable the originals flows.

For me personally the events work however, they do not trigger at the proper time. See my post about the trigger and the status of the sunrise/sunset a bit earlier in this thread.
I have created a workaround for this for the time being.

For me (HP23) “The sun rises in -60 minutes” and “The sun sets in 60 minutes” worked just fine for some months. And now all of a sudden since today they don’t trigger any more. So frustrating when you can’t rely on even those supposedly simple things…
I will now try the mentioned “Sun Events” app. Just unfortunate I need another third party app… ugh… well…

No triggers at all, or do they trigger at other times?
Do you have timeline notification cards added to those flows, to make sure if the flow really gets triggered or not?
Maybe the device from the action card(s) doesn’t respond, but the trigger still works fine…

Sometimes the timezone is ‘off’ and needs to be reset, by moving the Location pointer to another timezone, and after a minute or so, move it back to your location, or enter your address

Otherwise, when you haven’t already, pull the plug for 5 minutes, it might help.

Make sure to report it to Athom as well https://homey.app/support
This is just a user forum.

Thanks @Peter_Kawa !

Super strange. It just did not work at the 19th december. The next day it worked again. Even though I did not touch the homey at all many days before the 19th december. So that apparently was a one time hiccup. Still annoying, because now I feel I can’t rely on it.
So I decided to implement a fallback solution through the mentioned “Sun Events” App. So the flow now just looks like the following.
The a, b, c, d notifications are just temporary for testing purposes. In fact I receive all four notifications daily now. As a said the problem only occured once.

1 Like

I don’t know when the times for sunrise and sunset are updated, but maybe there was a problem with the internet connection and the times couldn’t be updated?

Yep, maybe something like that. Maybe the server where it’s requested from was down. Even though I think one could just request a whole year ahead. The sun’s movement luckily can be predicted probably until it’s imploding… in a few million/billion (?) years… :skull_and_crossbones:
If it were to happen again I’d contact the support.

I agree. The only question is if it will be done that way. Only Athom knows the answer, at least for its integrated function. You could also ask the app developer of the Sun Events app how he realized this.

These events should not be updated but calculated. That is probably how it works so no internet required.

1 Like

Thx for the info!