Homey Pro (Early 2023) missing Speech - Speech Alternatives

I have several flows that use voice feedback to tell me stuff, think off:

• the oven is now pre-heated, put the food in;
  • the dryer is ready, take the clothes out;
  • the washer is ready, take the clothes out;
  • the car is finished charging, go take the cable out;
  • the door of the bathroom is open, go close it

And there is more.

My house is filled with alexa’s for the “talking to the house”, homey is doing all the heavy lifting flow-wise.

What do I need to add to my setup to get voice feedback back ?

3 Likes

Google-Nest and Alexa speakers will still be usable, the Homey-internal-speaker is not there anymore.

Alexa is of no use here. There is no way currently to let Alexa talk as a result of a Homey flow.

I do not have google.

I know the internal speaker is not there, that is why I am asking what I should add to my setup to enable voice feedback again. I use it a lot and find it extremely usefull. For the use cases I mention a pushmessage is just not usefull enough.

1 Like

Hoping Jamie converts it to SDk3

Why are you sending this ? This app makes it possible to add devices discovered by alexa to homey… it has nothing to do with voice capabilities…

What does the card “Your alexa device will say… what to say, 250 letters.”
This is a THEN card off the Ecobee 4.

Install the Alexa app from Jamie.
To clarify, they app sllows you to start alexa routines and use speak features and more. I use routines for my announvements, on alexa uou create a routine that holds the announcement to all my relevant devices and use jamies app yo trigger it when my washingmachine is done. But it also support direct speech from a device.

A solution for the missing speaker will be very nice. I’m using the soundboard app for some things that cannot be fixed by using a Google home speaker. Also, those streaming devices having some delay wich is not usable in every case.

3 Likes

Thats a smart solution…

Inspiring also… I think it should also be possible to use an ifttt trigger in combination with voice monkey…. Well, that solves one issue :slight_smile:

Now for the migration :wink:

As a “then” card I only have a “reconnect” option… nothing to start an alexa routine…

:joy:
I was under the impression you wanted alexa to talk using Homey

You didn’t even take look, did you?
Screenshot from 2022-10-13 22-55-08
Screenshot from 2022-10-13 22-54-53
Screenshot from 2022-10-13 22-54-33
Screenshot from 2022-10-13 22-53-53

Add an Echo device first, the routine trigger is linked to the Echo devices.

Sure I did and it was not obvious to me, got some helpfull feedback and I get it now.

1 Like

Got it !

I did not get that I needed to add n individual alexa like a device.

This actually solves part of my issue.

Voice also works great, the app has a lot of nice functionalities. @Jamie are you planning to update to SDK 3?

1 Like

That wouls really solve the “speaker not available issue” (at least for me) and will even increase functionality… at the moment i am only making homey talk, now I understand I can make alexa talk that can really improve my flows !

Ofcourse then the app should be working on the new pro…

Also kind of think of this as a type of core functionality ? I could also imagine Athom takes it onboard as an “experiment” ?

1 Like

Yeah it works great, still has some issues with Alexa disconnecting every now and then, so have a flow to try to reconnect and if not send a notification. Also it’s great to select which room a notification will be played in, it can stream music etc. So far it’s still SDK2, so lets hope @Jamie will update it to SDK3 :pray:

1 Like

I’m also dependant on the speaker. Feels a bit stupid to keep the old one around just for the speaker. I don’t want a Google Home, or Amazon Alexa in the house. Call me paranoid, I just don’t trust my privacy with these companies. I do have a Apple Homepod mini (yes I know, but I rather have something from a hardware company that publicly is privacy minded than an advertisement company. Besides, we all have iPhones, so adding a Homepod did not matter either). But after some research it seems that I can not let the Homepod Talk by Homey (unless I relay something with a mac which I do not have). So the only other option I have is a Sonos speaker?

2 Likes

I guess so… … By the way: I understand and get your issue on alexa / google… I do my utmost to fence them in :wink:

No, see: [Vote] Feature App: Homesh: Connect Pro 2023 to Old Homey Pro for Led, Speaker, Zwave(satellite) and network resource