Homey Keynote

I understand, and you were right in saying that Athom’s business model is not sustainable when it comes to supporting all the apps.

But my point is, we’re al spoilt as far as it comes to paying for software. A lot of people think hardware is expensive and software comes (almost) free, but it is the other way around. And we all are willing to spend a lot of money on smart devices.

Good point!

Meto… now since 2016

ok that was the worst Apple Copy Keynote I have seen in a long time.

1 Like

I’ve stopped watching because didn’t seem to be anything relevant to me, as a V1 user, other than possible additional costs
I’m sorry, but if I’m gonna have to pay monthly (unclear, but heading that way) I’d rather switch to open source
Also if I’m going to need to rely on the cloud, I’m out. I bought homey for advertised local control, which has always been lacking, but now seems clear it’ll never be here
Seems that everything I liked about homey is dissipating, which I can understand from the business perspective, but from my perspective is a huge loss… Very disappointed

2 Likes

Wauw. I’m feeling so disappointed.

How in the world do they think its a good idea to put all your house control in a cloud. No WiFi bye bye home control. Isp down? House down? Cloud cracked? House cracked.

One of the big selling points to me was it being a stand alone offline house automation.

I feel gutted. I was really hoping for better hardware or (poe) lan connectivity. Now they come with a hockey Puck.

But after all its ahtom. What was I thinking. Original idea is great, product is reasonable, direction is totally off.

1 Like

No word about matter support, might be dead on arrival?

1 Like

I have 2 Homey’s - one Pro - one Original - both decommissioned

I had hoped maybe a really revamped Pro with great software but it was just “subscription” stuff - and an attempt at copying Apple Developer $99/year subscription for their “super developers” who wants access to the whole world market (like Apple)

The only issue is as a Developer - there is NO MARKET YET. No developer in their right mind would pay 99 per year for ZERO reach - no payment integration for charging for SW. It is the chicken and egg all over. Maybe some developers will to support their “own” hardware but again - unlikely. Big players will expect Homey to pay or develop for free. So it probably only impacts small to medium sized developers.

I guess Homey have hired a new MBA graduate…

1 Like

Since they can run the software on their mac and it’s so portable… Release it…

Let me put it in a docker on my synology and use the Puck as high end antenne module.

Make homey local again. Should start a movement.

3 Likes

So I have a Homey 2018 not a pro do I now need to pay monthly??

I do not think you have to pay monthly - but Athom was not very open about the old platform.

But what will happen is they will gradually try and force you to the new platform for subscription income. But in our household we only buy subscriptions to things we really need. Things we don’t really need very much - we buy as “pre-paid” 1y subscriptions boxed - so we can activate when we need them. (Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office etc)

Other things which have moved to subscription we have terminated (1Password, AutoCad products, Leica Geosystems Software etc) - and moved to other “normal” software we can own (perceptual licenses or open source)

I’m teaching my children that subscription products are made by the Devil and should be avoided where possible :smile:

1 Like

Same here. Only what is really necessary is on a subscription, rest is perpetual or nothing at all. If Homey will EOL the original Homey, I’ll move over to open source with a Raspberry Pi; I want my home automation within my household, not via some cloud service.

Rather disappointing keynote tbh.

1 Like

I’m hoping this starts opening the doors to an App Store similar to Apple - a much bigger reach for other smart home users and therefore possibility for developers to make and support well made apps. The hardware price is excellent, the homey price point per month is right for me and all in all, as long as the cloud is fast enough and good - I’ll have that power to use for flow creation and execution rather than one 4 year old device they’ve never upgraded. If it heads in the direction it’s looking it’s exciting stuff. My only gripe is that as a beginner developer I’d not really want to pay the charge, but we need less beginner developers, and more experienced ones, judging by all the app complaints anyway!

I’m an experienced developer and will absolutely not pay a fee for the “privilege” to write free apps for Homey. I fail to see the incentive for any developer to write apps for Homey with this subscription-based setup.

4 Likes

On another note, why does the Athom online store seem to ship to every country in the world bar the UK? I can’t even order one if I want to.

I understand that, however would your mind change if a revenue option was made available? As I think that will be on the horizon.

Because on this forum I have personally offered to pay developers to write an app for me, and whilst I would do that to further my home automation setup, and may be willing to pay only say £100 which wouldn’t cover a developers costs - if say you wrote an app, charged £10 for it and 100 people used it, would it then be worth your time?

Do you really think so? Would users be willing to pay a monthly fee for a “premium” subscription ánd pay for each app they want to install?

I would consider paying for some Homey apps - but not any apps that was on a subscription.

But I doubt I’ll plug any of my old Homey’s in again so mute option.

I was kind of nervous here for a while, thinking I just bought a several hundred Euros hardware, which will require a subscription to work with more than 5 devices.

But if I understand you correctly, Homey Pro device will not need a subscription to work with more than 5 devices. Am I right?