Homey Dashboards — Public Beta Megathread

Didn’t think of that :grimacing:. I’m curious though, I have an Android TV box (just a few weeks) and the Homey app (and Home Assistant) aren’t available for install.
Is it different on Google TV?

When you open dashboard on phone you do see 1 single colum. There is a second colum if you swipe to the left. Then you also see that the page has 2 positions with a blue indication on which page you are.

This indication should be always visible, also before swiping to inform you that there are multiple colums in the dashboard.

When you come from the right colum into an other dashboard with just 1 colum, you get a black page, no indication about multiple colums

On the last two versions of Google Chromecast Tv you can install apps.

Homey app as well?

Only apps that are compatible with AndroidTV are directly available in the TVs PlayStore.
But you can sideload apps. I used a filemanager app to install the apk file from an USB stick. But I haven’t tried Homey app yet.

1 Like

True, but that doesn’t always mean that the app will always work on Google (Android) TV.
I tried to sideload the Sonos .apk on my Google TV, but that one doesn’t run unfortunately.

Haven’t tried the Homey app yet, as I think (imho) it might be difficult to navigate without a proper bluetooth pointer(?) remote or something like that.

Then again, now with Dashboards it might be a way of displaying information…

@Doekse:
Can we see somewhere what is used by Dashboards in terms or memory and storage usage? Or is this all displayed under “Homey”?

It might be interesting to see what Dashboards share is, when you reach the limits of your Homey.
Especially when you have multiple and extensive ones…

No they are not. You can sideload apps but they are not made for tv’s and cannot be controlled by your remote control.

Dashboards run on your mobile device, not on Homey itself, so my guess is that it will be negligible (dashboard do take up some storage on Homey, but that won’t be a lot).

1 Like

THIS. Resizing of tiles needs to be a major if not top priority in dashboards. While running on a desktop is nice, most functionality and use is home automation so that means tablets and phones which have smaller screens.

4 Likes

Which is what everyone says about their missing feature.

5 Likes

Agree that resizing is on top of the list, my iPad with 12,9” screen has plenty of room so why should a laptop with a 13”-14” screen have 3-4 capabilities listed an the iPad 1?

No, not a feature but the result of moving to small screens.

The dashboards look fantastic—great job! I’m not sure if this is an issue or an intentional feature, but I noticed a difference between devices. On my Mac (M1), there seems to be no limit to the number of columns on the main screen, while on my iPad, it’s restricted to just 3 columns. Could you clarify if this is expected behavior? Which I love on Mac :wink:

Great works !

Web frame widget

Add a possibility to ignore certificate checks with local https connections.

Example: The SMA web interface forces us to use https and they use invalid certificates :face_with_peeking_eye:
In a regular browser we can continue, by clicking “proceed anyway”.
The web frame just shows a message :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have an Aeotec Multisensor which has a motion sensor, temperature sensor and humidity sensor. I would like the motion sensor status to be displayed on one panel, temperature on the second panel and humidity on the third panel. How do I do this?

2 Likes

I noticed that custom widgets have the ability to scroll by default. While this might be appropriate for a widget that displays a scrollable list, I think for the majority of widgets this is not the desired behavior. This default scrolling can lead to frustration for users when they are trying to scroll through their entire widget column, and suddenly the widget itself starts scrolling—especially when there’s nothing to scroll to.

To address this, I’ve added the following CSS to my widgets:

.homey-widget {
    overflow: hidden;
}

On one hand, I feel like this should be the default behaviour, but that would interfere with widgets that actually need scrolling*. Therefore, I think it should either be documented, or the default template for creating a widget should include a non-scrollable class or something alike on the widget’s body that can be removed if scrolling is required.

Edit: * Actually, this is better handled by the widget developer by adding a scrollable container inside the widget itself.

1 Like

Spot on! This is on our todo list for the next release. We also think that the developer should add a new element that scrolls on purpose.

7 Likes

Using the dashboard on various devices and it is doing great.

I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to change the (background) color of a tile/widget/button/device so you can drive the “eye” of the user. With this feature you can show when there are warnings/errors or (using a small light for this now) when energy prices are low :-).

5 Likes

How did you get it to work on MAC ??