Homey Bridge Antenna modification

There are no connectors.

That, I know.
But::
When I solder on the connectors
Why then still cut the original antenna tracks
If the original antenna is disconnected by the (soldered on) connector?

Guess that is not possible if there is now no connector.

As how can a connector that isn’t soldered jet disconnect something that now is connected?

Guess that was also the job of someone that prepped a couple of testing devices and soldier some connectors.

Could you explain a bit what you meant here, @undertaker? :slight_smile:

Yes, Pro and cloud/bridge can send webhooks to eachother

An IPEX socket is located directly on the circuit board. When something is connected to it, the connector disconnects the actual conductors and redirects the signal to the connected device. It is very often used with antennas to measure the power. However, this IPEX socket can be misused to connect a pigtail to it in order to use an external antenna.
If such an IPEX socket is not available, the cable of the pigtail must be soldered directly to the conductors. Disconnect the original antenna to redirect the power completely to the listed pigtail.

Thx for the explanation, @undertaker.
So; if I solder an IPEX connector myself onto the same soldering points, this works the same?
No cutting of the original antenna tracks needed then?

Unfortunately, no.
The IPEX socket connects a conductor path that is already separated at the factory. It bridges the separated contact as long as no plug is connected. The moment you press the pin of the plug in, the bridging is disconnected and redirected to the connected plug.
I don’t think it’s possible to do this afterwards. You would still have to interrupt the conductors and place the socket over the interruption with millimetre precision. Everything is very small and there is a risk that the bridge will be destroyed.

Take a Raspi and install Home Assistant on it. Connect the Raspi to your network via LAN or WLAN. Connect a Zigbee and/or Zwave stick. Register your devices with HA. Now import these devices into Homey via the Homey Home Assistant app.
You now have a perfect access point for Homey and can control the devices registered with HA via Homey Flows.
The only condition is that you have Lan or Wifi reception at the location of the Raspi.

Example:
Osram Plugs on Home Assistant

The plugs imported in Homey

Flow in Homey

Thx, @Undertaker that is very clear!
I’ll see what I can do with the bridge. Experienced “solderer” here, so I might take my chances… :slight_smile:

You promote HA a lot here… Haha! I’d like to keep it with Homey for now.

I also stay with Homey.
But I have come to know the advantages of HA and Homey in combination. Homey becomes a powerful system through HA. I would not necessarily recommend Bridge as a supplement to Homey, because the possibilities of cooperation are simply too small.

1 Like

Haha, no offence intended of course… :slight_smile:
It is just that I can not connect the devices in my basement directly to my Homey. There’s a network connection, but Zigbee (or Z-Wave) will always be separate networks.

I don’t need much in the basement. The Shelly relay can be handled by both Pro and Bridge (because of it’s network/internet connection). Then there’s only an Aqara switch, a doorsensor and a motion sensor.
Doing that all with a Xiaomi hub that is integrated with my Pro, but it’s not very reliable.

And because I could get a Bridge for less than 30 euro’s and wanted to play around with it; this might be a nice use-case too.
Would be nice if the bridge managed to reach a sensor in the mailbox as well, because it is closed to it than my Pro.