Google chromecast app not working

Issue: Google Chromecast unusable (official Athom app).
App and Google Devices is shown with warning symbol and status “crashed” and all my Homey Pro (early 2023) flows are thus dead.

Question: Am I the only one affected and do you know any fix?

When problem appeared: About one month ago? Possibly same timing with new app version, not sure.

Workarounds tried:

• Resynched Homey and Google Assistant account (no success)
  • Uninstalled/installed app again (no success - error message “missing driver” shown when trying to re-add my Google devices)

Collateral: Cast to Google app thus also not working currently.

I have ticket logged since July 9 but still no resolution suggestion.

But your Google-devices are working with Google assistant end Google Home-app? So outside Homey

As a workaround:
Just auto restart the app when it breaks a flow, or when a Chromecast device becomes unavailable.
Make sure to enable Settings > Experiments > Power User first.

Or with this trigger card:

There is already a similar item here

Found the solution. Restart the Homey Pro… Now it works.
One would expect when Athom actually update an app that requires restart of Homey Pro to work, that it would automatically restart Homey Pro, or at least ask for permission…

I tried using Device Capabilities app and to restart app if it becomes unavailable, but does not work. Had to restart the entire Homey Pro… From now on I will restart all apps and Home Pro every night. Can’t hurt. The universal fix for all SW bugs since the dawn of computers… :wink:

I hope you made typo, because available should be unavailable

Yes typo. Sorry. I meant “unavailable”. Anyway point was that it does not work. :blush:

I understand your point, but when you actually really used ‘available’ in the card, it would definitely not work :wink:

Update; restarting Homey Pro just fixes my problems temporarily.

Every day Google Chromecast and Google Devices reports at crashed. :hot_face:

There is a test update of the Google Chromecast app: v. 6.0.7.
You could try this version and check if this will solve your issue. It works for me; before Chromecast just would play one time, and than you had to restart the app.

1 Like

I only had to restart my v6.0.6 app once after the HomeyPro restart. Since then it has been working perfectly.

I was not able to cast a URL. The “test” version solved my issue. Thanks for the tip of experimental version!

Ik heb hier ook last van gehad, maar na het rebooten van de app werkt alles weer.
Ik heb dit paar keer gehad, toevallig net gekeken en alles werkt top nog steeds al een tijdje dus.