Generic RF-remote

Hi,
I am looking to ‘pair’ a generic fixed-code rf-remote (cheap 433MHz device with 4 buttons) to Homey, but can’t seem to get it working.
I’ve tried to install several apps that support rf devices (like klik-aan-klik-uit etc.), but none of these do recognize my remote.
When I go to https://developer.athom.com/tools/signals and record the received signals, I can see that Homey can receive the signals.
What I want to achieve is to simply add the remote as a switch-device or something so that I can use it to trigger flows.
Does anyone know how to get this working ?
Regards,
Herman

1 Like

Hi everyone, not sure if I’m in the right forum in regard to my issue. I have a Becker motor on my blinds connected to a Becker remote that has Bluetooth to link it,to the igloo+ app. This app has been discontinued since yesterday and is not working anymore. Is.there an alternative app that I can use ? Thanks

As far as I know, Homey apps can’t be used as a “generic” RF code receiver: you need to tell it the specifics of the code (timings, frame lengths, etc), and only then can you build an app around it.

Generic RF remotes typically the same chip (EV1527), however, their timing can vary widely, which poses a problem (because, again, Homey needs to know the timing up front).

A relatively quick and cheap solution would be to use a dedicated RF transceiver device, like the Sonoff RF Bridge, which can handle these different timings correctly. However, to get this working with Homey properly you need to flash a new firmware to the device, which requires some soldering and a USB-to-UART device (cheap, few € at most). Alternatively, there’s the Broadlink RM Pro+ device, which I believe can do the same.

At some point I want to try and create a generic EV1527 app (create a signal definition for each possible timing combination), but I already have a long TODO list :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Robert,
funny you mention the sonoff rf-bridge with custom firmware, that is exactly what I was using before (Domoticz with several sonoff devices running tasmota or espeasy firmware). I bought a Homey because that was said to be compatible with all, but for some the compatibility still is a lot of work :frowning: The Hardware is there, but writing an app yoursellf before your sensors are usable is a big hurdle to take, I might give it a try someday but for now I don’t feel comfortable with that.
Dusting of my sonoff rf-bridge might be an option though, I think that simply translates the rf-code into an mqtt message. I hope I can somehow configure Homey as an mqtt broker and then somehow configure Homey to trigger flows on specific mqtt messages. For now I don’t know how to proceed with that, but I’ll google around a bit and might figure it out.
Thanks anyway for your response.
Regards,
Herman

1 Like

Someone alr thought about that.

The Sonoff app supports the RF Bridge if it’s running the Sonoff-Tasmota firmware, and the MQTT broker app can be used to run an MQTT broker directly on Homey.

That’s a setup I use myself, and it works well.

1 Like

Hi Robert,

do you have a 4 button remote in your setup as well?
The Sonoff RF Bridge is already included, but i didn’t manage it to include the remotes?
When i record the signal, what is timing, code, etc?

I have a few of these:

They work well with the RF Bridge, don’t have to set anything special for it to recognize them. You can’t add the remote as a Homey device though, you need to create flows based on the “RF code received” trigger for the RF Bridge.

You should be able to find out the code from the settings page for the Sonoff app, on the “RF Sniffer” tab.

Thanks for the info! i found the device on the RF Sniffer tab, but unfortunately it is not possible to scroll to the right. It ends at the column High (ms).

Are there more columns to see?

Yes, to the right there are :roll_eyes:try via https://developer.athom.com/tools/app-settings

1 Like

Sorry, no chance to scroll to the other column :frowning:

You can also see the codes when you open the Console in the built-in webserver of the Tasmota firmware (open http://IP.OF.THE.DEVICE in your browser)

For instance, this is what I see when I use one of those 4-button remotes:

11:00:57 MQT: tele/sonoff-rf-bridge/RESULT = {"RfReceived":{"Sync":8420,"Low":270,"High":870,"Data":"C70288","RfKey":"None"}}

The code that you’re looking for is passed in the Data property (so C70288 in my case, but likely different for your remote).

When I get around to it, I will try and fix the settings page.

This one works! :slight_smile: Thanks!

Hi Robert,

Can you please tell me or send me a preview how you created the flow to use this commands?
I am waiting for my sonoff RF bridge, i will flash it and then like to use it the same as you.
Thanks in advance.

Sorry, my Homey got bricked during a firmware update and it has to be reflashed, which meant all my flows were gone as well. Since then I moved to Home Assistant.

But it won’t be terribly difficult to get this up and running, if you run into issues just post them here and there will be plenty of people to help you out :slight_smile:

is it possible to:

• create a virtual device in Homey as a roller shutter (possible)
  • “learn” a RF command of a 433Mhz remote (which is learned to a ruller shutter) with the Sonof RF Brdge
  • when you trigger the virtual device up/stop/down to send the “learned” RF command with the RF Bridge to the roller shutter?

Like to hear from you.

Should be possible, provided that both the Sonoff RF bridge and the roller shutter are able to decode the RF signal that is sent by the remote.

Hi Robert,

De remote controller is allready working on the roller shutter so that should be fine.

Ok, but can you tell me how you created the flow?

I never used virtual devices to trigger sending a code, but it should be reasonably self-explanatory. The Sonoff RF Bridge device has an action card “Send RF code/Stuur RF code” that you can use to send a particular signal (how to retrieve the parameters for the signal is explained a few posts up).