Experience with room / wall thermostat

Hi all, first of all, I would like to wish you all a great start into 2024!

I am currently considering to replace my old wall thermostats (bi-metal switch) with smart thermostats for a water based floor heating.

There are plenty of options out there, but before I look into the different offers, I would like to explore the pros and cons of the different technologies to connect the thermostat to homey pro.

I have seen devices that are based on WiFi, Zigbee or Z-Wave. Which technology seems to be the most reliable?

WiFi:
I just have replaced all my WiFi-based plugs from TP-Link because I often got “rate limited” errors with these devices. Those were replaced by IKEA Zigbee based switches -

Zigbee:
As a result of replacing the TP-Links I now have a lot for Zigbee-Repeaters across the house, so Zigbee should work quite fine.

Z-Wave:
I have two Z-Wave based devices connected to my Homey-Pro: 3-Phase Smart meters that I use to track energy consumption for the house and the warmth-pump.

My struggle now is to decide between the different technologies to get the most stable environment for my Homey.

Is this “rate limited” error specific to TP-Link or to WiFi-Devices in general? Z-Wave and Zigbee should work fine (I suppose) since they create their own mesh networks that cover the whole house.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kay

I know the (one) basic difference between Zigbee and Z-Wave is bandwidth available for transmission of data.

TP link specific. Make sure your wifi devices can function 100% without “the cloud”, like Shelly → Cloud connectivity is optional.
Your own wifi network doesn’t police you with ‘rate limits’ I may hope :wink:

I have a mix of wifi and zigbee devices, while I started out with a bunch of Tuya wifi stuff, and moving slowly to zigbee.
I don’t use z-wave, it’s just way too expensive to my opinion.
But as far as I know it hasn’t much chance of interference.

Keep in mind Zigbee and wifi can interfere. Also close neighbor’s wifi signals! Tune the channels with care.

Blockquote
TP link specific. Make sure your wifi devices can function 100% without “the cloud”, like Shelly → connectivity is optional.

That is a very good thing to know :slight_smile:

Blockquote
Keep in mind Zigbee and wifi can interfere. Also close neighbor’s wifi signals! Tune the channels with care.

Once I replaced the TP-Link plugs with Zigbee plugs, I needed to setup Homey from scratch. In this admin frenzy I switched all my WLAN-Repeaters to Channel 1 while Zigbee is using Channel 20

Thanks again for your feedback :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
Kay

1 Like