Devices switching on when they should be off

Hi all! I am hoping to dive into the expertise in this forum for help. I am having a very frustrating problem with my setup. I have a few devices that randomly switches on when they should be off. With todays power prices I have switched off the floor heating in certain rooms to save energy and have disabled the flows that switch them on, so now they should always be off. Yet every few days one or two of these devices will switch on anyway. I have a z-wave sniffer running, but I can’t find the (source) reason why they switch on. I have flows (to save energy) that switch them off after a few seconds if it happens and I can see them being switched off in the Zniffer files. The two that switch on most often are older Fibaro relay switches, but the other day a Fibaro wall plug also switched on in the middel of the night. This wall plug has a lamp connected to it and flows that switch it on in the morning and off in the evening. So how can I identify what is causing this? Any help would be most appreciated and hopefully it can help others who may not even know it is happening in their own house. I have attached what it looks like in the web interface of the two relay switches.
Skjermbilde 2023-03-02 kl. 12.38.22
Skjermbilde 2023-03-02 kl. 12.39.00

Not of any help, but I’ve read several posts about Fibaro plugs switching on or off ‘by themselves’.
First start by adding log cards (SimpleLog/Papertrails/Timeline) to the flows controlling the devices in question, I would recommend.
This way you can make sure if it isn’t a human error, or some electronics error.

I didn’t come across any solution yet about the ‘ghost’ switching.

Ok, so that would maybe tell me if a flow is running when it shouldn’t be? I’ll look into that, but my main problem are the two relay switches that control a lot of power that have no enabled flows controlling them. One of these relay switches has no flow at all, disabled or enabled. I usually add a push notification to my phone if I want to know if a flow has run. Would that do the same trick? Thanks for you reply by the way! Maybe this is the same for the relay switches? That they are in fact just switching on by them selves?

My request: please contact Athom, because the phenomenon has already occurred with other users.

I have done that also. Cheers

Do you use zwave associations? Maybe the relays have the same association group/id as another device (switch)?

Yes I have looked into that also, and have excluded and included devices to get rid of any associations and such.

I reached out to Athom and they are leaning towards the problem being the older Fibaro units which have been known to switch them selves on from time to time just by relaying traffic, and therefore there would be no trace of it in the Zniffer files. It just would have been nice to get proof of what is wrong, but now I have removed those devices.

I have discovered another problem that I can’t explain that seems to be switching some devices on as well, and that is that two of my Secure SRT321 thermostats (ID 157 and 161) have sent “Switch Binary Set (ON)” to all my devices it looks like. (See image.) And there is something wrong in the Secure app for Homey, but since I have several other SRT321’s that haven’t done this (at least not yet) i suspect its only in the description of the association groups. I will try and share this thread with the developer of the app.

But what do you guys think, are the thermostats broken or will an exclude and include most likely fix it?

This is the same answer as some other users. :yawning_face:
I think Athom is taking the easy way out with this.
I haven’t looked yet, but it would be interesting to know if this problem is also discussed in the official Fibaro forum.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about the other topic.

Are you sure that an exclude deletes an association? As far as I know an association doesn’t involve a hub but is a direct link between two z-wave nodes.

Edit: Yes it will, because when you exclude the association is removed, at least in my experience.

1 Like

So a new development in my search for a stable system without things being switched on when they shouldn’t. I have 8 Secure SRT321 thermostats and four of them have sent switch binary set (ON) to looks like all devices in the past few days. (See attached image) The Secure app for Homey is made with the newer version of the thermostat in mind (one more association group (Lifeline)), but I don’t know if that could cause problems. The correct number of association groups come up in settings, but the descriptions of the groups are wrong for my version. I have set it up according to the manual I believe is the right one for my version. I have found 3 different manuals for it, all with different association groups or the number of nodes allowed in them. If mine is the one with only 1 allowed node, then I expect that I could have problems if adding more than one node? Does anyone have knowledge of the Secure SRT321’s that know of a way to tell which version it is? Can’t really tell by looking on the back of the thermostat. In Homey it says firmware version 6 and sub-version 0 so I guess that means 6.0, but I can’t find a reference to that in the manuals except for one of them that says firmware 2.0 which is the one that only allows 1 node in the switch control group. (I am guessing mine is not that one based on firmware number in device settings.) I have attached on image of the association groups from the manual and one of how I have them set up now. Does it look correct? Anyone know if something else could cause them to send set commands to all devices or are they simply broken? Any help is very much appreciated.

Skjermbilde 2023-03-07 kl. 13.04.21

Can I also ask in addition to previous post, what is going on here? (See attached) Node 170 which is one of my SRT321 thermostats appears to be sending 21 ON-commands to node 55 in less than a second, before it sends an off-command to both node 53 and 55. Node 53 and 55 are the wall plugs it is set to control. I could of course be reading this wrong because I am in no way an expert.