Define fixed IP for Homey

buy your own firewall

It’s everything but meaningless. It’s actually the only solution we have. Add dhcp reservation and you have closses thing to static ip until homey gets true static ip if that ever happens.

In years I’m using homey I never ever actually needed static after I have created reservation. Nor did homey ever got anything but the reserved ip as that would mean my router and dhcp are not working properly.

Take what you have and do the best you can with it.

2 Likes

Hi,

I just got a tip from Athom to set a fixed IP on Homey and define the accesspoint.
How is this done so I could just test it?

Homey offline is the message I get daily :open_mouth:

Regards

Thank you, but this is not a solution - already saw it at the top of this thread.

Now, I need to know how to determine wether Homey is DHCP enabled or not. Can’t find any information on how to proceed there.

If you define an IP address to the MAC address of your Homey, in your Router, it works fine.

What do you mean? Afaik Homey is DHCP only, so your DHCP server decides which IP Homey receives.
That’s why you reserve the IP adress on the DHCP server (your router probably), by “connecting” it to Homey’s MAC address.
That way Homey has a fixed IP, and no devices end up with identical IP’s.
(The latter can happen when you enter a “static IP” on a device network settings).

I use IP assignment by my DHCP server, based on MAC of all my network devices. The DHCP server is integrated in my Netgear Wifi router. It easily managed centrally, and easy backupped/restored in case the router should break (which has never happened). To be independent of my ISP (I want to be able to switch often, and I do) I am not using the ISP wifi router for this. My own Netgear router is behind the ISP router, and in the ISP router I only set my Netgear to be in DMZ. So switching ISP takes 5 minutes :hugs:

Back to ‘fixed’ IP in Homey: I have set fixed IP’s in my Netgear router, and never had any address issues with my Homey’s in all the years I have them.

I am not used to reserve addresses this way. This seems very secure since it’s tied up with the MAC, but I can’t find any way to do it with the router from my internet provider. I guess I have to buy my own, more advanced to set up rules like that, behind the original one.

When I set up Shelly devices for example, I define the static IP for that particular device in it’s own properties, not in my router. Just for a test, I had hoped I could do the same with Homey so I don’t have to buy myself a new router.

For security, I could also whitelist all the devices that I know of and the rest won’t be allowed. This is not possible in this router unfortunately.

Anyone has experience with this brand, will it do the job?

Do you have a type/brand link of your providers’ router? In other words, the manual? Maybe it’s hidden in there

The brand is Zyxel and the model name is: VMG8825
Looking like this:

I can’t find anything about it and this is the old version (v.1).

See chapter 8 of the manual. It is called auto reserve ip for the same host: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gebruikershandleiding.com/ZyXEL-VMG8825-B-series/preview-handleiding-862802.html%3Fpage%3D0129&ved=2ahUKEwiXu9uL1un7AhVE26QKHak9CFUQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1ixVskDo9AiOOHokswR13k

1 Like

Also:

Thank you both!

But I am not able to login to my own default gateway router. The ISP provider has set this Zyxel up and the preferences I am allowed to adjust is only available through their website.

Connected directly to the Zyxel with cable, it’s not possible to get to the interface where I can log straight into it.

Edit:
I have just talked to the ISP provider which confirms it is not possible in any way for me to get to the Zyxel login interface. So she also told me to buy an external router which I am on full control of.

This is ofcourse stupidy when I have this in my home and I am not allowed to use it. But in the other end, this is the way they want it and I can’t do anything about it.

By an own router based on your prefences and let set the ISP set the router to bridge mode (if possible). That’s the only way to use such a blocked hardware in modem mode only and use an own router behind with all possibilities.

It looks like it is possible to set it in bridge mode :slight_smile:

This has to be done by the ISP itself. Sometimes there is an option in the customer portal. Sometimes you need to contact the support. But it depends on the ISP and router.

Is DMZ normally under NAT forwarding?

IP & MAC binding, is that the way you would setup fixed IP with Homey?

Is this “client list” what you could call a MAC filter (whitelist)?

Yes, but you need to set DMZ in your ISP router, and enter the IP address of your own DHCP router. Or put the ISP router in bridge mode. Then you dont need to set DMZ.

2 Likes

No. Actually I would say (judging by how it is mentioned in the manual) that it does the same as IP&MAC binding. So not sure if there is a difference. But if you are looking for a white list function, it would be under security. So maybe IP&MAC binding is whitelisting.

Every manufacturer uses different naming and has slightly different implementation/functionality.

1 Like