Created a MMWave/PIR presence sensor with temp and humidity and luminance

Then you probably know the Seeed sensors

and the:

For the ones running HA,
I’ve started with this low budget sensor with an ESP8266 Wemos D1 mini + LD2410 mmwave sensor (E7,50 total, incl. shipping) using the ESPHome integration.
I’m now waiting for the wiring for the LD, while it’s too small for me to solder.

1 Like

I’m using LD2410B connect to Aqara door sensor, since I don’t need temp/ humidity. I’ve it running in bathroom for 3 months so far so good. Recently LD2410 also have updated firmware able to detect light too.

3 Likes

But that is a great find as well!

Yes I have the seeed mmwave static human presence and it is useless. The big one at least, it is so sensitive it sees me through big concrete walls.

I ordered 3 of the minis though that look a lot more promising!

1 Like

I also ordered 10 of those, will come in any day. I am using the LD1125H. 15 euros a piece and very accurate. Can see me breathing and configurable enough. Made a custom library for it.

Currently my office, kitchen and living room have actual presence monitoring. I start room presence with the PIR and then mmwave takes over. Just this afternoon I watched a TV show under a blanket and the room presence never timed out. It works perfectly, when I walk away an empty room is almost instantly detected.

7 Likes

do you have an picture of the inside of that? I allready made an pressure sensor of an door sensor.

Maybe this shows the idea:

Great project! Would love to have a better presence detection. My Philips motion sensors are not sensitive enough and barely work up to 5m only.

How’s the battery? Or does it require constant power?

For a small and neat sensor (visually not attracting attention), I would pay €35-45.

Looking forward to hear more!

My sensor requires micro usb power. An mmwave sensor eats power, I don’t think battery is feasable for that. Specially since it does light measurements, temperature, humidity, movement, presence and some processing of it. I think it is visually attractive. Its 6.5cm high, 4cm wide and 3cm thick.

The red light I am still going to disable with a dab if nail polish.

Btw 45 euros, I could never make this for that! The costs are definitely higher. Just the mmwave sensor is 15 euros already, this one is more sensitive then the really cheap ones. I think the cheapest arduino with wifi and at least a little bit of processing power is 10 euros. And then the other sensors and the case and a power adapter.

1 Like

@Robin_De_Lange Here is my implementation inside a small plastic enclosure:
Input power supply 5V.
Left - Aqara Door/Windows sensor. (3V)
Centre - Voltage step down from 5V to 3.3V
Right - HLK-LD2410B (5V)
Note: Simplify with voltage step down can use a AMS1117-3.3 (output 3.3V), there are many other methods too.

Since this is using HLK-2410B, all configuration done via bluetooth, application available in android and IOS.

2 Likes

Thank you! :clap: I ordered the same stuff. Now waiting to get it and try it out!

that device sounds so promising, but I think it’s going to die due to lack of funds or so. cant even pre-order the thing so enthousiatically announced 5 months ago :roll_eyes:

I think you have to wait on the new Wave 3 ( Wave 3 (2000 units) - Shipping starting end April/May) on the site. but the problem is, when you get it you can’t link it to homey unless you have homeassistent running. Or you are able to make an app for it :thinking:

maybe there is an developer willing to make an app for it if we give him this sensor for free :face_with_monocle:

The device is running ESPHome, the yaml configuration for it is available on Github (GitHub - EverythingSmartHome/everything-presence-one: Official Repo for the Everything Presence One sensor!). ESPHome supports either connecting directly to Home Assistant, but it is also very easy to configure it to work with MQTT, which you should be able to use with Homey. I don’t think you really need to develop anything for it, it will take some knowledge of ESPHome and MQTT.

1 Like

But the PCB is sold out and not available soon

Did anyone get this to work yet?

Yeah, I forgot to post a follow up to my earlier post

I bought it for € 14 (€ 8 electronics & € 6 housing), you have to add € 7 - € 20 for a 5V USB power supply & 3mtr USB-C cable. I bought 5V1A PSUs

Here’s some details:

HA device + device settings:

Homey:

It’s just a motion sensor, which keeps ‘in alarm’ as long as the sensor detects presence. It can be excluded from zone activity. This is a device from the HA community app.
I did not find a way yet, to get adjustable MaxDistance and SensitivityThreshold entities to Homey

It’s pretty small:

This is my kitchen ‘scanner’. Hidden from view inside a (fake) flower pot on top of the fridge :wink:

The temp/humid sensor had to be outside the housing (or drilling multiple holes in the housing will do).

There’s also a webpage (from the ESP8266 unit) for monitoring the detection to finetune things

Peek 2023-06-05 16-40

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing,
I’m new to ESPhome, not sure how to do it, does it need to get a device to setup HA so that ESPHome can be installed ? or Maybe D1 mini just flash with ESPhome firmware and just link up with Homey ESPHome application? Can you share how to do it ? :thinking:

I should’ve bought the Bluetooth enabled versions also. Going to order a few!
With an Aqara contact sensor it’s a bit more expensive, but then you’ll have a zigbee sensor instead of a wifi one. Just what one prefers.

The link was in my post with the linked post in it :crazy_face:
But here you go:

Feel free to ask away.

1 Like