Connecting Fibaro Walli dimmers and Switches using groups?

Hi Everyone.

I have gotten a bunch of Fibaro Devices to connect to my new Homey Pro.

Among others I have a few Walli Switches and Walli Dimmers.

The scenario I would like to get is to connect buttons at different sections of my hallway to each other so that they both turn on the same light sources or dim the same light sources.

I upload a basic drawing of how things are mounted. (You can be impressed with my paint drawing skills later :stuck_out_tongue: ).

My goal is to have the following work.

• Dimmer 1 and dimmer 3 will both manage the same zone (zone 1).
  • Dimmer 2 and dimmer 4 will both manage the same zone (zone 2).
  • Switch 1 and Switch 2 will both turn on the cieling lamp in the middle

Can I use the grouping function in homey to do this ? As of right now Dimmer 1 and Dimmer 2 works as intended for their zones but I am unable to add the other button pair as linked to the other buttons.

Any thoughts and inputs ? Am I missing something ?

Are the Walli Switches 1 and 2 both electrically connected to the lamp? Or is the Walli Switch 2 only connected to the power supply and should act as a remote control?
The same question regarding the Walli Dimmer.

Hi.

Thanks for answering.According to how my electrician described it to me only Switch 1 is directly connected to the lamp. Switch two is supposed to be acting as a remote control. The same thing applies to the dimmers. That’s how they understood how things are supposed to be setup.

The wireing has been drawn to both locations however so they can be directly connected if neccesary.
So the question is if that’s actually the case or if they can be logically grouped within homey with the same effect ?

Ok, then the switches are correctly connected.

Walli Switch

This is the manual how to use 2 Walli Switches with a 2-way connection:

So no additional app is needed. The communication works with associations. This is a direct connection between the two switches.

Btw., another solution is to use 1 Walli Switch and 1 “dumb” toggle switch:

These “dumb” switches can be covered with Walli Switch covers, then there is no visual difference.

Walli Dimmer

The Walli Dimmer in a 2-way connection can also be used in the same way as the Walli Switch, but instead of a second Walli Dimmer a Walli Switch should be used as second device according to the manual:

But in general, the second Walli Dimmer can also be used with associations:

So you can try out, if it works with 2 Walli Dimmer by using associations.

Info: To use associations, the devices must be included with the same security standard (unsecure ↔︎ unsecure / S0 ↔︎ S0 / S2 ↔︎ S2)

Hi.

Yes that makes sense. My biggest problem though is that I don’t get exactly how to setup those associations in the homey UI ? It’s not entirely intuitive. It also seems like the Associations part of the advanced settings look different from one device to another. As in which options get displayed.

Anyone who can explain in more detail how that should be setup ?

Afaik, in the advanced settings of the “remote” devices, you have to fill in the Z-Wave NodeID of the “main” device.

Walli Switch (remote)
Connections
Group 1: 1
Group 2: 52 *¹
Group 3: 1

*¹ 52 is just an example. Please insert the NodeID of the “main” Walli Switch.
Group 2 is responsible for “On/Off”

Walli Dimmer (remote)
Connections
Group 1: 1
Group 2: 87 *²
Group 3: 87 *²

*² 87 is just an example. Please insert the NodeID of the “main” Walli Dimmer.
Group 2 is responsible for “On/Off”
Group 3 is responsible for “Dimmer”

Please let me know if it works.

Btw, is the Walli Switch configured as Single Switch Operating Mode, or as Double Switch Operating Mode?

1 Like

Hi.

As far as I have understood it double switch was only for when you connected a switch to a dimmer. That’s at least how it looked like on the examples. I believe them to be setup in single switch mode

Are you saying that the actual NodeID is static for each device or that you can set it manually ?

Does the amount of association groups as seen in the UI in any way limit the amount of devices which you can pair up as a total in the homey system ?

It’s possible to use the Walli Switch for switching one or two lamps.
If the Walli Switch is configured in Single Switch Operating Mode (1 lamp) you can switch the lamp on/off with the first and second button. So it doesn’t matter with which button the lamp is switched on/off.
If the Walli Switch is configured in Double Switch Operating Mode (2 lamps) the first button is used to switch one lamp on/off and the second button is to switch the other lamp on/off.
If the Walli Switch is configured in Double Switch Operating Mode and you have only connected one lamp then the first button only works for switching on/off.
If you want to use a Walli Switch in combination with a Walli Dimmer (as described in the manual), then the Walli Switch must be configured in Single Switch Operating Mode.

It’s a static no. of course. The NodeID of a device can be found in the advanced device settings in the Z-Wave device information section in the Device-ID column, or in Developer Tools.

Don’t know if I understand your question correct, but I guess this will be the right answer:

Because only group 2 and 3 are required for the On/Off and Dimming functions, the maximum number is therefore 5 devices.

HI Fantross
Thanks for posting this very usefull tuto, exactly what I was looking for.
The resellor was telling me that 2ways switches was impossible with Walli devices & homey, it seems they are wrong.
I’m trying to implement the config with a dimmer + switch for the 2 way.

I think I went thru all steps but in the end, the 2way “On/off” goes well but I can’t tune the intensity, nor from the dimmer, neither from the switch.

Being very new in deep configuration of the walli devices, I have few question. And sorry for that but if you can be very step by step in your answer, that would help.

Step 5 : I’ve used the homey developer tool to proceed this step.
I send “172,20,2” then “Send Row data” (knowking that my switch is node 172 of my config).
is it the right way to do this ? do I have a way to check the value of parameter 20 ?

Step 6 : in the advanced settings of the switch (node 172), I setup “171” in the 3rd association group
just the node ID of the dimmer in the 3rd association group field is correct ?
Step 7 : in the advanced settings of the dimmer (node 171), I setup “172” in the 2nd association group.
I guess it’s correct
Step 8 : no clue on what to do here. going in the advanced settings of the dimmer, I don’t see any “device grouping section”.

Last note : I’ve setup the button 1&2 scenes to 15 on both the switch & the dimmer to make sure that all action on buttons will be interpreted by homey. I don’t think that is influencing the result but…

many thanks for your time to help
Laurent.

Yes, this is one possible way. The other way is to use the Homey smartphone app. You can do a raw configuration in the advanced settings of the device.

Unfortunately not. My guess is that Athom has forgotten to include this parameter in the device driver.
For well-implemented devices, you can see the parameters in Developer → Devices, or in the advanced device settings. Here as an example the Fibaro Smart Implant:

Yes, that should be correct.

I have also no clue, sorry. The manual is written for Fibaro HomeCenter. Apparently there are other settings.

Don’t know if that is needed, but I guess not, at least not for the Switch. Did you tried it out without button/scene activation?

If I look in the manual, the switch can be used to turn the dimmer on and off via association. What happens with the “Double Click” option, I can not say.

@Laiquelleion, what is your current situation? Does it work? Maybe you could help @Papy_Bohington ?

Btw, I have never practically realized the 2-way connection myself, because I don’t have such a case were it’s needed.

Thanks for your time Fantross
It finally works.

I installed the switch & dimmer in their final location with roof-spots and the variation of light works.
2 things have changed between my note and now :

1/ the light : I was testing the config with a dimmable IKEA bulb (I know it’s dimmable from previous test with the dimmer only).
and now, the switch & dimmer are connected to 6 roof GU10 spots. maybe the load is higher making the config successfull

2/ the procedure : I’ve disconnectted both the switch and the dimmer from my test desk
Then I put the dimmer first into the wall and I’ve stated a calibration without he switch plugged into the wall.
Then I’ve plugged the switch into the wall.

so for the record of the community, I would add a step in the procedure : perform a dimmere calibration before connecting the switch.

thanks again

1 Like

I am in a situation where I also likely need a dimmer calibration.

@DirkG : Sorry for late reply. Has been away from the system for quite some time during construction so I stepped back from this for a while.

All base things works for me but the association is wonky at best.

I actually get it to properly get the dimmer to increase the light to maximum. But decreasing it doesn’t work. And after a time it seems like the association is lost completely. Which forces me to reset the device and reconnect it to Homey pro. Trying to do the same thing again yields the same result.

@Papy_Bohington : Fibaro support recommended that I did a calibration by connecting the device without load to a real dimmer temporarily. Followed by setting it back without wall and use association.

It feels silly that a device like this should need to do this but support claims that dimmers for some reason has special setting which needs calibration .

@DirkG this is extremely helpful.
I would need to use the walli switches as three way switches. What I mean is that I currently have a room where there are three standard single load switches controlling one light.
Also I have a hallway where the switches I currently have are momentary switches with relè and not standard switches. I do not think this should represent any issue when I would replace them with walli switches but I am asking in case you would have any experience.
Thanks for your help

By better reading Fibaro manual I found the answer. Fibaro walli switch can be used also three way. It is enough to repeat the association between another walli switch and the one connected with the load.

2 Likes