Backup

any news regarding the full backup and restore functionality in homey / homey pro?

1 Like

Nooo, but your Always can ask athom directly ofcourse. And if you get a anwser please share it with us :grinning:

1 Like

For a workaround / Community solution see:

Version 2.3 was released and still no backup. As someone whose Zera died and recently had Homey drop all my Hue lights; backup would have been a huge time saver. My Homey setup is too large and complex to simply just start again.

When there is no backup, any crash make me seriously think about changing platform (as the effort is the same). Don’t make me do it Homey!

Thank you so much for your thread here. I’m a also a newbie. But I would like to know about it.

There is a community-built Backup&Restore app: Community Backup & Restore for Homey v2 [Alpha Version]

Be aware that it is not capable to backup and restore the Z-Wave or Zigbee network. It needs an Athom supported solution for that. There could be a workaround, it is also suggested within that thread, but I could not test is.

Its a shame. We are having 2.3.0 now and no backup and restore function yet :thinking:

To me the most annoying thing is that we don’t even know if Athom is still working on this. They used to have a Trello board but it is gone. There is no roadmap anywhere as I know of and asking for it (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/5480/timeline-update-please) is not getting anywhere as well.

It should have been at the 2.1 release but now we are at 2.3 and it’s still not and we have no clue about when or if we can still expect it.

For something that should have been there from the beginning this is very strange. If my Homey dies now without having a backup I will be sooooooo pissed that I will never return to Homey again.

3 Likes

Any news on the backup front?

Only athom knows… so if you contact them and got a answer back, please share it with us :wink:

Also really looking forward to this. Unfortunately the community back-up is not compatible with my Homey’s software version. I’m taking a Homey resuscitation course as we speak, just to be on the safe side :wink:

Asked Athom support yesterday, got the following response today:

We are working on a backup and restore functionality for Homey, however this is still in the works, and will still take our developers some time to finish.

Please note this is of utmost importance to us as well, as this is a missing core functionality, therefore we strive to implement this soon, whilst keeping the quality and importance of a good functioning implementation in mind.

I trust that this answers your question, which is why I am closing your ticket. If you need additional support, please feel free to re-open your ticket by answering this email.

I wish you a great day and a lot of fun with Homey!

I’m shocked this isn’t available. My Homey reset all on its own due to a faulty USB power supply. I now need to reconnect all my devices and recreate all flows from scratch. I somehow assumed this was all stored in the cloud…

Hmmm, sounds like i hear Rutte… :stuck_out_tongue:

If I end up with that I would not install again until a backup/restore function was in place! Tragic and a keep my fingers crossed on every restart, 200 devices and 400 flows!

So due to the lack of an official app and the incredible need i assume you both have already installed and used the excellent Community Backup & Restore for Homey v2 [Alpha Version] from @Dijker?

Dijker did a great job creating that community backup, I tried to use it as an alternative, but could not get it to work. I have all Z-Wave devices, creating a backup of all of those bindings would be the most important part for me and that does not seem to work. When I checked the tool back then it was only going to work with a Athom supported backup and restore mechanism. So for me this is not yet an alternative, for many others it might. But then still…, it’s not an official backup. Where do you get support if after an issue you can’t restore any of it? Will it be checked to work with future version of Homey as well?

I see more and more people using homey as more than a toy with over 200 devices. I’m starting to have more and more as well and it is still working great. But what if Homey dies? I replaced most switches by google mini’s, everything is on voice control. Terrible wife acceptency factor if the rest of the family can’t control lights anymore until I first spend several hours to days reinstalling and configuring everything again.

1 Like

I agree it should be dealt with asap by Athom, not in the least while they grow on buyers and sell more internationally.
But on the other hand, you did know (or could have known) this before you decided to get very dependent on it… For me this is a reason to still use my good old Homewizard on some key points, just 2 be sure the waf (and daf as in daughters) factor is maintained even if Homey decides to quit.

For me, @Dijker s solution will save me lots of time rebuilding the flows and their logic because i can read them back. I accepted the fact that i have to add all devices again.

Nope, does not work on later updates