[Archived][APP][Pro] OpenWeatherMap

Yes, I have a fix for it in an update, however didn’t publish it, I was looking at some other things… I’ll have a look at pushing the update.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Where do I put the api key. In “Settings” I click “Apps” There is “OpenWeatherMaps” but there is no place where I can put the api key

Just create a device for this app and insert the key there.
Take a look a the first post of this topic :wink:

Sorry, I feel stupid. Thanks :slight_smile:

Don’t worry. The app settings would be a good place for it, too, because you will only have one key.

Is there a way to get notifications if there is a thunderstorm nearby? Let’s say 20-30km?

You can use the “weather has changed” flow card and a condition for the weather (thunderstorm) in the AND part.
Then it’s depending on your device and the time offset how much ealier you get an alert.
But to get a best working solution it’s a lot of try&error.
I use the “weather has change” for the current weather to get rain alerts if the roof windows are open.

Thanks for your reply @RonnyW, I’m using BuienAlarm for the rain. But I notice that the notifications not always are being send somehow. Also on Buienradar. I will share my flow under this message.

Not related to the homey app, but to the actual forecast data openweathermap provides.
What is your experience?

I searched for a weatherforecast (1day ahead) to control my heating/cooling.
Found openweatherforecast.

But when I look at the weather forecast for 2morrow on the website it shows a temperature that is 4 degrees lower than other forecasting sites give me. (Location the Netherlands)

So looking for the experience on the quality of the forecast on openweathermap

Hello @anne ,

the API of OWM is restricted now to the current weather for free accounts. The devices for hourly and daily forecast don’t work (hourly only some field, perhaps that are the values for current weather).
But there is a new API (one call API), responding current, hourly and daily weather in one call - useable with free account.

https://openweathermap.org/api

https://openweathermap.org/api/one-call-api

Are you planning to adapt the forecast devices using this API to make them working again?
Since DarkSky decided to close their service, your OWM app would be THE first choice :+1:

Ronny

1 Like

Hi @RonnyW, thanks for the heads up. I just added the oneAPI current data to the app. It includes UV data as well :+1:

I’ll look at adding the forecast data next and publish the app for testing.

3 Likes

Very cool :+1: Thank you!
Please let us know if/when we should make some tests for you.

btw…I recognized last week that the condition in event “weather has changed” is wrong.

The conditions inside the flow:

The flow was executed, but it was not rainy/drizzly/thunderstorm. It was only cloudy.
And this description (claudy) was shown in the message (tag “weather description”).

I think the description is correct. But one of the conditions is wrong. For one"cloudy" is used inside instead of the shown/selected condition.

Hi @Ronnyw This bug has been there for a long time, I have finally been able to find the root cause and fix it :+1:

2 Likes

At this moment I experience a problem. Openweather hasn’t updated for two days. Anyone has the same experience or solution?

I can’t confirm that.

Edit: Neither with the current values, nor with the forecast.

Strange for me. Restarting app and ptp didn’t help either. Deleting device and reinstall is what i try next.

Maybe it has something to do with this?
http://developer.athom.com/status
Weather degraded?

Deleted and reinstalled one off the three Openweather devices. Strangely after this all three devices work again🤓

I am thinking about making a flow. That will remind/ask me if I put my stuff from outside inside when rain is expected in the night/ next day. But I didn’t find how to do that. Someone has a nice idea? Maybe people have more nice flows that they wanna share?

With a free account I think it’s actually not possible because OWM changed their pay model.