[APP][Pro] WeatherFlow's Smart Weather Station

Looks good in my browser without, nice and tidy table layout.

Then u are the only one. The rest of us hates it to see it this way.

Homey only shows rain with a resolution of 2 decimal digits, but that is only in presentation. The actual rain data that is used for triggering rain start and is raining condition uses whatever data that comes from the Tempest, everything greater than 0 should be interpreted as rain. So as long as there is anything at all registered in the logs I added (anything not being 0) it should trigger a rain start.

New version with logging of pressure as well, to see what’s going on.

Hmm, yeah that sounds logical.

But I think the answer can be found when answering this question: what data does Homey use for the mm rain? It’s something else than Weatherflow shows in the app. De data Homey shows cannot even be found in the Weatherflow app. If we use the mm/h data from Weatherflow the problem should be solved.

This is the API being used for collecting the data, I logged that raw data now, which is also what you saw as the logged data in the table. The rain 24 hours is not available in the API, so I summarize the amount of reported rain every minute, and it gets zero again every new day. So if the app is not running, e.g. a new version is installed when raining, some samples will be missed and the total amount for 24 hours will not match the Tempest app.

Look for Observation (Tempest)

Did you install the latest app?

Yes, I did install your latest test version of the app.
The total amount for today does match the amount in the Weatherflow app. That’s not the issue.

The issue is the realtime mm of rain in Homey, which is always a number that is not visible within the Weatherflow app. In the Weatherflow app they use mm/h. So, I’m wondering what this number is and why it says 0 when it is still raining ‘very light’.

When I look at the UDP Reference I only see one data for rain (mm), which is Precip. Accumulated. I don’t know how to interpret this because Precip. Accumulated, I think, should be the total mm for the day. But in Homey it shows data that I cannot see within the Weatherflow app. As stated before: Weatherflow shows 3,9mm/h and at the same time Homey shows 0.05mm.

Precip. Accumulated is per update interval I guess, which normally is aggregated mm of rain per minute. A new observation is sent every minute if not configured differently in the app.

It does not look like you have the latest test version, I get no pressure logging.

Installed it again. You should be getting data now.

So, to conclude: there is not much we can do about the ‘very light’ rain issue and within Homey (flows) very light rain will go undetected? I’ll also ask Weatherflow if they have a suggestion or can improve the API.

I do still find it very strange that in Homey Insights I do see 0,01mm when WeatherFlow says very light rain, but as I remember Homey sets the variable to 0 then for some reason.

The pressure reported from your tempest is 988 something. I am getting data from another Tempest as well around 1006. Isn’t there settings for adjusting this, like height and so on? My own device reports the same over the UDP API as I see in both WeatherFlow app and Homey.

I will verify rain per minute reported again at my side when I get rain data from your tempest and my own device.

I don’t understand. My own Tempest is reporting 1006.6mb, see: Tempest

Homey is reporting a number that isn’t correct.

Your tempest is reporting the value you see in Homey, I log all raw values over the UDP API on your network. Why it differs must be some kind of setting in your device, or a bug in the firmware. A question for the Tempest team perhaps.

I have some answers from Weatherflow, that might be interesting for you and other users.

Regarding pressure (no bug):
The API only outputs the station pressure . This value is different than the sea level pressure value you shared. You can view both of those values in the app: on the Weather tab with the forecast information, scroll all the way down to the “more current conditions” section and you’ll see Pressure (which is sea level pressure) and below that you’ll see Station Pressure.

Regarding the rain mm:
The API reports the 1 minute precipitation value, which accumulated together throughout the day will get you the total accumulation. That data is indirectly available in the app - it’s the amount each data point is increasing on the 1 minute rain graph when units are in mm.
The API has to have some sort of precipitation recorded in order for the app to show very light rain, light rain, etc.

About the rain triggers:
I don’t think a rain stop notification/trigger is something on our radar. A new rain start notification/trigger will be sent after 15 minutes have passed from the last recorded precipitation.

So, the fact that Homey gets a 0mm when there’s very light rain should be related to the app, according to WeatherFlow. The API data is correct and shows low numbers of mm rain when there’s very light rain. The problem is that these numbers in Homey go to 0 for some reason. Maybe Homey gets set to 0mm when rain is less than 0,01mm? For example 0,004243mm as I see in your table with data. Might this be rounded off to 0?

Interesting. And good to know that 15 minutes must pass between last recorded rain in order for rain to trigger again, but in Homey I now trigger it again on the minute when there has been at least one record without rain before it.

Homey might as you say show 0.00 if the value is 0.004 something, since that is a mathematical correct rounding right? It should show 0.01 if above 0.005 for example, if not considering the rounding rules for even and odd numbers as well. But for the rain to trigger it should have no impact on what Homey presents, even if it shows 0.00, I keep the exact decimal value in memory and trigger rain if greater than 0, so even on 0.00001. This is true since otherwise the accumulated rain of 24 hours would not be correct, since this value is simply calculated by adding the values together that I have in memory, which are the exact readings reported from the sensor, and not the rounded values that Homey present.

The rain capability with two decimals is one of many standard capabilities (measurements) part of Homey. It is possible to create custom ones, which I have done for the Rain 24h. But I think 2 decimals should be enough for rain, right? Since the 24h rain computation and rain triggering is not limited to 2 decimals.

Sure, but how can I make flows on very light rain now then if that is not recognized within Homey? I don’t know if 0.005 gets rounded off to 0.01. I can’t see those data myself. All I see is that very light rain has a Homey value of 0. So, if we can make that change into something that is not zero (which it isn’t since it is still raining) that would be very helpful.

I know you use the very low numbers still for your triggers and 24h rain but for us who want to create our own flows depending on exact rain conditions we would like that too. The data is there, we just need to be able to use it.

I hope you can do something about it.
Thanks and have a merry Christmas.

The rain triggers work, at least now when I verified it, I got rain started from both the rain start event and also one based on a very low 0.00123 mm observation, with a rain stop in between since observation reported 0 that minute. Since the values are aggregated per minute it can take up to a minute before it triggers, but most often it is reported quicker than the Tempest app since everything is on the local network. The interesting thing is that in the Tempest app it said light rain at the time, but still no mm of rain is visible in Tempest, but I have got the following data below that the Homey app reacts to.

I think we need to first override the default values of the rain capability and create a custom one, with three or four decimal values in order for you to actually see the rain data there yourself.

I have released an 0.4.0 for submission now, there is a test version available, should have four decimal digits for both rain measurements now.

Both rain triggers, start and stop, now triggers on each minute when rain is detected (> 0 mm rain) or no longer being detected (0 mm rain). I have verified that this afternoon with my own device and the data being logged from the sensors every minute. One thing I would like input to, is if we need a setting for when to report rain stopped, so we don’t get this, rain start, rain stop, rain start, rain stop, to often. Maybe we need a setting for how much time must pass after no rain has been reported before we trigger a rain stop, and this gets cancelled again if rain is detected during this grace period.

Good work! I’ll download the test version ASAP and let you know if all works fine. I should be able to use the rain up to four digits behind the comma then?

About the last thing: great. I think 15 minutes should be more than enough. For the rain stopped trigger it is less important to be that fast. 15 minutes after the last drop of rain gives you a good indication that rain has passed. I think.

Hey,
I am using the app to my full satisfaction. I have created multiple flows to control my blinds in combination with the Tempest. Now I miss the option at “IF” when the UV index changes. Is it possible to add these in the app? This allows me to close the sunscreen when the UV index changes.