[APP][Pro] sysInternals - Shows Homey’s System Internals

What’s new

Version 0.5.1 — Configurable Low Memory Alarm Threshold

1 Like

Great addition! I was already using your AF Homey RAM_SYS monitor

If CPU load is high, how do I find the culprit?
The tools page does not help.
Is there a way to use sysInternals to analyze app performance and find the culprit in my HP2019?

Since I updated my homey with more RAM, the cpu load is very low (59 apps, ~250 devices) and a lot of flows. Cpu load now around 3-10% when not working with homey and max 25% when working intensive with homey.
Athom is working on efficiency in RAM usage. I think that this is very helpful for people with a lot of apps/devices and high Cpu load.

5 Likes

@Dijker

What do you think of these results? What strikes me is that there are many fluctuations in it. Is this normal?
Using the Raspberry Pi 4 usb c charger with the Homey Pro 2023.

Let’s start I am not a CPU Expert for this, just putting from my general system knowledge.

Guess you load Homey not enough, if it doesn’t have anything to do it will switch to a lower frequency.
nothing wrong with that.
Wy should the CPU run at 1500 Mhz if it can do the work al a lower speed an thus consuming less Power and produce less heat. If it detects it has more to do It will speedup within in fractions of milliseconds.
This was min just

1 Like

Now you made my nerdy brain interested in what you did to expand your RAM on the HP2023… Do tell :wink: Have same issue like you with mine crashing when doing backups.

Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) with WiFi 8 GB, 32 GB Flash CM4 8 GB Prozessor: BCM2711

@Dijker i had a warning LOW on free memory < 20 % on Homey Pro 2023.
What can i do?
How much should it be in normal circumstances?

Could it be that the meter shows the wrong information?
That it is 20% in use instead of 20% low.

Good morning! Thanks @Undertaker, that is indeed what i did. I’ve replaced the CM4 module with a CM4108032 module. So I have now 8GB RAM. Now working on how to expand the partition size. :+1:

2 Likes

You must describe the mod for the community!

1 Like

I have to look into opening mine upp and see what need to be done todo the same. Maybe you should make a new thread on forum as a MOD thread for those that want todo the same type of mod on thier own risk that is :wink: myself im game.

Haha, thanks and I think I will do. For now first working on resizing partition table for more storage. (Total of 8GB to 32gb. So user partition can be 26,6 Gb. But this is more complex. So waiting for my second homey so my primary homey can run the house while experimenting with the second one) Also working on a better heatsink/cooling without open case or fan.

Biggest problems for me is that my English is very bad… maybe that you can help me with translating :laughing:

1 Like

It’s not so bad, don’t worry.
And also - I told you, more people will be interested :wink:

2 Likes

@Undertaker @Sharkys
For the impatient: I stumbled on the initial how-to by @Ranney @ Slack the other day.
(Why did Athom add just 2GB RAM by the way :woozy_face: )

2 Likes

That is a good tip! I have high CPU too. Probably tinkering too much :slight_smile:

Of course, as your improvement is so dramatic, do you think it could be due to less memory swapping? I am not sure how large the swap block is on the HP2023. Similarly, on my non expandable HP2019 I have less than 5% free after offloading several apps. :expressionless:
So I will have to find the solution elsewhere and the swap block is just 9.7MB.

CPU

1. I tried the tools page but see no app > 1% CPU.
  2. I also tried with Insights, but the CPU per app just increases overtime, I cannot conclude anything from this.
  3. I asked Athom how I could make my Homey more efficient: there is no better metric, I was advised to look in the flows for many commands or flows with lots of variables, many devices and logic and they say as a rule it helps to add delays between devices and commands. We knew that already. :wink: and “The rest is trial and error I’m afraid, but with the huge number of devices and virtual devices running a busy Homey is unavoidable, so it’s a matter of finetuning”.

After reading this, I did find that I had many flows/checks being run in parallel every time a motion sensor (I have 20x and 200 advanced flows) sees activity or after its nonactive period. By adding some delays and using Advanced triggers with debouncing on the trigger (amazing app!) , I could bring down CPU to about 35-95%. Still too high, but I am still working through the flows :smiling_face_with_tear:

PS I am not sure this thread is right for my comments, but they relate to finding out the efficient use of the system. If you know a better one, let me know.

1 Like

That is also a good advice. I think that it is a good idea to make a new topic for modding homey (unofficial and ‘voiding your warranty’). :+1:

In my case, I was also looking for a way to reduce the load. It is not very easy to find what is causing the load. Why is homey busy in de middle of the night while there is no activity, no solar production to follow, etc and why is homey chill in de afternoon when there is a lot of activity?

I was successfully reducing the load by advanced logging. (What is happening when AND how many times!) But, since the swap to a bigger cm4 (RAM) module, the load is so low that I’m not looking for optimalisation anymore.

Note: Maybe that this is a better place to discuss about mods? Unofficial Homey MODS (that can brick your Homey and can/will void your Warranty!)

3 Likes

@Dijker. Restart only counts from a restart of Homey via the app. But not when you do a PTP. Is this correct?

Hi there, I just noticed my hp23 only has 12% free RAM. How is that possible, it should have twice as much RAM as the hp19 which was running smoothly. I do have backup issues and never had them on hp19. I’ll look into upgrading the RAM, but it’s kinda stupid as it’s a brand new device.

Just give Athom some time. The currently experimental updates are giving a clear indication that they work on more available (free) RAM.
For now, you can disable some apps and make the backup and turn them back on. This was my workaround until I had more free RAM. (You can make a flow for this). Make sure you have at least 450 mb RAM for the backup free (And some more for homey itself) In my case, I closed all apps, made a backup and started the flow ‘start all apps’.

2 Likes

With RC88it improved a lot, as the architecture has been reworked. Still, in “Linux” word and with latest RC versions, it doesn’t mean you run out of memory - it just says now - “we keep in RAM as much as we can” to improve the performance. It’s not comparable to HP19.

2 Likes