[APP][Pro] Support for ONVIF compatible cameras (Release 2.0.41)

I saw it. Thank you. Visitor works perfect now. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have some Hikvision Cameras connected, but it seems the Onvif app doesnt sync the DST settings from the camera

on the left you see the onvif app, on the right you see the web interface of the camera

Most cameras send the time in UTC format and Homey’s not good at displaying times. Older firmware used to have the timezone set so it converted UTC to local time. Newer firmware doesn’t do that so it is the app that has to jump through hoops to get timezones and DST info and adjust the time before displaying it. I’m not sure if I have forgotten to change the app or if there is an issue with getting the required information.
What timezone are you in?

first: Thank you for your fast response!

Maybe the DST info isnt right 

i am in the Netherlands , which is CEST , because the summertime has been started.

(Daylight Saving Time 2023 in the Netherlands)

It would appear I missed this app when updating time handling. I have a fix in test and will release it to test later today.

i tested version 2.0.39
the last motion detected event shows the correct time.
the camera time is exectly 1 hour in the future (+1)

Oh, the joy of time zones :slight_smile:

So, to summarize, can you confirm before the update, all times were one hour behind, now event time is OK but camera time is 1 hour ahead?

The event time is taken from Homey’s clock, which (on SDK3) comes back in UTC and not adjusted for DST. The change I made is to fetch Homey’s time zone and use that to convert the UTC to local time with DST adjustment as required, and that appears to work.

So I am now left wondering what time zone / DST your camera is reporting in.

Is it reporting UTC + DST, or local - DST? I suspect it is reporting local time without DST adjustment, so the modification is adding 2 hours, 1 for UTC to CEST and 1 for DST.

All my cameras are reporting UTC but as I’m in the UK that is also local time without DST.

All I can think of doing is adding a setting to adjust the displayed camera time by a number of hours, e.g. -1 or 0 or +1, etc,

You are right, the event time is OK, and the camera time is 1 hour ahead.

how can i check the camera reporting? , so i can do some tests

the setting you are talking about, is this a “manual” setting? , because every half year the time settings are changing.
if it isnt possible to get the DST settings from the camera, maybe it is an option to add a setting where i can adjust the timezone in the onvif app , so i dont have to change this setting every half year?

I think a workaround is to use Homey’s time zone so the DST is taken into account but then add a -1 offset to negate the time zone difference.
I will publish an update soon so you can test it, but it might be a few months before you know the results :wink:

The new test version is in the store.
If you got to the setting page of the camera, you will find two options ‘Adjust camera timezone’ and ‘Adjust camera time by’. I suggest you have the timezone enabled and set a -1 adjustment.

Hello Adrian,

I connected 3 cameras to your app. So far so good.
But now i’m getting the ECONNRESET fault.
Maybe my cams are just not supported. But maybe i’m doing something wrong.
I don’t know what i can do now.
I have 2 Nedis cam’s
https://nedis.nl/nl-nl/product/beveiliging/smart-home/observatie/550680694/smartlife-camera-voor-buiten-wi-fi-full-hd-1080p-ip65-cloud-opslag-optioneel-intern-16-gb-12-v-dc-met-bewegingssensor-nachtzicht-wit

and 1Nedis doorbel
https://nedis.nl/nl-nl/product/beveiliging/smart-home/observatie/550702007/smartlife-videodeurbel-wi-fi-transformator-full-hd-1080p-cloud-opslag-optioneel-microsd-niet-inbegrepen-ip54-met-bewegingssensor-nachtzicht-grijs-zwart

this is working for now, thank you!

in the camera i can set the timezone

and another tab for the DST

the last sunday of october, the time wil be set backward, so i think i have to adjust this setting again, am i right?

or is it possible to add the same DST settings in the onvif app , so the time wil be adjusted automaticly ?

I have a Reolink RLC-520A (connected to HP23) but unfortunately the person and vehicle detection don’t work. The general motion detection does work. The person/vehicle detection features do work in the Reolink app. I tried all the “ONVIF notificatie type” but none of them solve the issue.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

If you have set the option in the ONVIF app to Adjust camera timezone and then set a -1 hour offset, then I think it will be OK and automatically adjust.

Could you open the Configure App screen for the ONVIF app, select the Diagnostics Log tab and set the LOG LEVEL to Basic Information. Then trigger the person or vehicle motion and check the log to see if those messages come through. You can tap on Send Log if you want me to look.

Hi Adrain, thanks for helping, I just sent you 2 logfiles. The first one with just 1 person detection and the other one with also a general detection. I can see the time in the log is 1 hour behind.

It looks like the RLC-520A has issues pushing AI detection notifications. However, the Reolink apps do note person and car detections. Maybe the Reolink apps have a different way handling these detections, probably not via ONVIF. Could you recommand a brand/camera that works flawlessly with your app regarding AI person/object detection? Great app by the way!

I have two RLC-523A’s, and those only push generic “Motion detected” events over ONVIF. To determine the type of motion (generic, person or vehicle) you have to query the device using an alternative method (I think the Home Assistant integration uses the HTTP REST API).

If you’re (quite) familiar with Docker you can try my SMTP2MQTT project which offers an alternative way of signalling motion events.

Thanks for your suggestions. Nice solution you made by reading sent mails (SMTP so I assume you check mails being send, not received). But to setup a separate system for just AI detection I find a little bit too complicated. There is also a Homey app “email” that checks for incoming mails but unfortunately that doesn’t work with my Ziggo mail account. I still should try with POP3 though. If there’s a REST option maybe Homey can still do the job.

It’s a mail server which accepts the e-mails sent by the camera, but instead of delivering them, it parses them to find out which event caused the e-mail to be sent.

(192.168.23.2 is running the SMTP2MQTT server)

1 Like