[APP][Pro] Philips Hue Zigbee (Without the bridge)

Added to next update of test version.

Hi, when I use the Homey app to install this app (I want to stop using the Hue bridge because it generates too much network traffic and so also a very slow response on lights turning on/off) I get the old 2.0.35 version installed.

When checking the changelog, 2.0.39 is already mentioned. How can I get this version? I think I need it, because not all my motion sensors are recognised in 2.0.35 :-(.

Also an extra question: when will you think there will be support for the smart wall switch modules?

Thanks for your reply!

Ah… Found it! Couldn’t upgrade to the latest stable (2.0.39) but the experimental 2.0.42 is now running on my Homey and that at least did the trick for my motion sensors!

1 Like

I use 2.0.42 for a few days right now. I transferred quite a lot of my Hue devices, but since a day the Zigbee becomes unresponsive. First I just had to restart the app (I used 2.0.42 at that time), but today I even had to restart the Homey twice.

I just downgraded to the latest stable version of this app (2.0.35), but does this sound familiar to anyone?

Total of Hue devices (most lights) is now 46. I stopped migrating the rest to see what’s the problem

That’s already more than the number of devices that Athom considers the maximum for a stable Zigbee network: https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/360019239879-Creating-a-stable-Zigbee-network-with-Homey-Pro

No, I read it as “max 15 direct connected devices” or “15 end devices”. My lights are routers

ah… in the lower part… 30-40 devices…

And I already have a huge problem with network connectivity using the original Hue app… it generates max. network bandwith because Homey polls the Hue bridges to much… the network throughput to the Homey & Hue devices is maxed when I connect all my lights.

It seems to me, that I can’t use Hue together with Homey. No solution fits :frowning: . That wasn’t the case when I used homeassistant. So there is a problem in the way the Homey Hue App polls Hue compared to how it’s done in Homeassistant.
If there only was something were I could throttle how Homey polls the Hue bridge, I think the problems are cone.

I have 73 ZigBee devices and not having any significant issues - recently I start add and remove routers, which is not good for the mesh itself… also using several Philips devices - 11 - what do you mean by

or actually better to say, did you checked what is going on on https://tools.developer.homey.app/tools/zigbee

Yeah, that’s a limitation of the current Homey Pro. Some are lucky and can use more devices, others are not so lucky. The new and improved Homey Pro should be able to handle more loads, still waiting for it to arrive so I can test it out.

I looked at that page already. I see all the devices here, but not a lot are saying they’re online. But when I control them, they turn on/off.

73 ZigBee devices are a lot. But nog only Philips Hue I read? Maybe there is my problem?

I’ll attach my Zigbee page, don’t see anything weird. Or am I missing something here?

Hmm, network looks good.

Did you add more devices recently? If so you might have maxed out on what the chip can manage.

If you have not added more devices recently there was an Zigbee update in the last version of the Hue app, it should however make the network more stable, not less… perhaps your devices need a few days “to settle in”.

If you have a backup of your Homey you can test resetting the Zigbee network and then restoring the backup. Simply explained this resets the Zigbee chips memory, much like when you reboot/reinstall a computer that has turned slow over time.

Hi Johan,

I just added them all the last week. I noticed on the last 4 or 5 lights, it was very slow to discover them.
Maybe I should just let them settle in like you say. And otherwise, try to reset the network.
This reset and restoring won’t delete anything and it should automatically work again then? It’s just associated with the “mac addresses” of the Zigbee devices?

At least for now, I removed a few less important lights (lights in a storage room for example) and see if that helps the Zigbee network to settle in the coming days.

I hope that will bring a real performance boost on this. If that works, I’ll consider buying it also.

Looks fine, Nr.9 shall be maybe paired again without removal, except is it possible that the first added devices were actually not in close distance of Homey - like nodes <24 ? Btw try also to power on/off some of the routers / non battery powered devices and as Johan suggested, also try to let it settle few hours.

I just removed 4 devices (2 lights and 2 plugs) and I see a reshuffle being done within the mesh. Maybe that works. Even the nr.9 you mentioned, during the screenshot it had a question mark but now it’s already connected via other routers automatically. So the mesh is doing his thing :-).

I just read more on the new Homey Pro, but I see another thing I like there. The new Homey Pro can be extended with the Homey Bridges. These bridges can be an extender/router for the Zigbee devices. I’ll closely watch when all of these are available.

Does somebody know if the bridge now already works as een “extender” for the current Homey Pro (2019)?

It does not, that’s a feature released with the new Pro.

There is however already an app that does somewhat the same: Homey App Store
Using this app(s) you can control devices between several Homey Pro’s, no need for the new Homey Pro, works on all older versions too.

1 Like

Which of them from the screenshot above have you removed btw ?
Also can you confirm that you did not pair first routers in the closest distance possible to Homey?
eg. when I’ve been recreating my mesh, I have tried to place all products in the desired distance and then start pairing from the closest to the furthers one - but I wonder if you have done the same, because then I don’t understand why the first 24 nodes except of Node 5 are not routing directly on Homey first as they should. And yes - mesh shall survive those actions without any problem and adapt accordingly, that’s why probably Homey is kind of weak compared to Zigbee dongles in HA, yet I remember it was much much worse…

The order of adding them is just as shown here. Some of them were very nearby. The last added devices, were also close, but today I see they also are now direct attached to Homey.
The reshuffling of the mesh is working.

I will remove some end-devices which are direct connected (I at least see one sensor which is direct attached and that is not optimal).

The ones I detached from this overview were number 4 and 5. Two others were already detached when I took this screenshot

An extra update. I didn’t have to pair the sensor again. If I just toggle the “interview” button in the Zigbee overview, it rearranged it to a better place and thus creates a free slot on the direct attached nodes.
I think I’ll do that for every device which I think shouldn’t have a direct attached node.

Let’s see if this helps. Until now it looks a little bit more stable (fingers crossed)

Yep, interview them or just pairing again without removal usually works…