[APP][Pro] Motion Blinds

mornings
great app. unfortunately everything stopped working after the homey 7.4.1 update and there seems to be no way of getting things back up again. maybe a known problem already, but cannot find anything anywhere on this topic. would be super grateful for a solution using this as a key app for my home automation setup…
thanx
// anders

Hi,

I Just upgraded to 7.4.1 without any hickups myself. Could you explain what it is you are experience in more detail, and send me a diagnostic report from the apps settings page? Initial questions I have:

1. Is the light on the Motion bridge steady blue, or blinking purple/yellow?
  2. Is the original Motion app still working?
  3. What happens in the Homey app? I did not receive any crash reports - is it running or can’t you get it to start?
  4. What happens if you move the slider for a blind - does it pop back immediately or is everything looking fine but nothing happening for real?
  5. Do you see any error messages?

hi edwin
athom has asked me to re-install my Homey as they think it might be a zigbee issue
will start there and let you know if it resolved the issue (+ answers below)
hls
// anders

1. Is the light on the Motion bridge steady blue, or blinking purple/yellow?

steady blue

1. Is the original Motion app still working?

yes

1. What happens in the Homey app? I did not receive any crash reports - is it running or can’t you get it to start?

it is running and everything seems ok, just nothing happens → the communication with the motion gateway seems “broken”

1. What happens if you move the slider - does it pop back immediately or is everything looking fine but nothing happening for real?

everything looks to be fine but nothing happens

1. Do you see any error messages?

no

I highly doubt this is a Zigbee issue as Motion Blinds does not use Zigbee. Unless the Zigbee radio interferes with wifi or the operation of Homey itself is affected in more ways when Zigbee is malfunctioning. But reinstalling firmware is known to fix some unexpected problems, so it is not a bad advice and may very well help if the update triggered the problem.

If the firmware install does not fix the problem, a diagnostics from the app would be very helpful seeing that it looks like the app is not able to get commands out to the bridge. To get the most out of it, take these steps to get the full diagnostics:

• Turn on the debug flag in the app settings,
  • Restart the app,
  • Try to control a blind,
  • Wait at least a minute after that,
  • Send a diagnostics report from the gear icon on the top right in the app settings.

You may also want to check if the Motion Bridge didn’t get a different IP address if you specified one in the app settings. If you did not specify an IP address in the settings, try entering it. Depending on your router configuration that may also help.

hi again
maybe the homey guy need to read up on the comms protocol then… :slight_smile:
anyway, the re-install did solve the problem so everything works as expected again…
// anders

1 Like

Motion Blinds Version 1.2.6 just went live. It contains some fixes for warnings and possible range errors on the (internal) transmission signal strength capability. This capability was renamed in the process, but that should not affect anyone unless you created flows using it, which is highly unlikely.

This version also has an extra config option that may solve problems if your blinds are not detected. Again, it won’t affect existing users, unless you decide to enable the option.

28 posts were merged into an existing topic: Motion Blinds NL

3c2a2769-28e9-4e5f-bcc7-454b7df32be0

Code V2

I’m answering in Dutch over here: Motion Blinds NL

There currently seem to be issues that the blinds may no longer respond to commands from external applications such as Homey and Home Assistent. The issue is is currently under investigation with the manufacturer.

EDIT: this is resolved in firmware version A1.0.7_B0.1.6

I just set up my new homey pro, with a back up from old homey pro. Can’t seem to get it to work anymore. Is this related to your post above @Edwin_D ?

I don’t know, normally I’d expect a backup to work just fine. If you turn on debug logging in the settings, try to control some blinds and send me a diagnostics report I’ll check. Did you change anything In the motion app or with the bridge? (I wouldn’t reccommend that at this time)?

But it may just be Homey requires a reatart to get things working after restoring a backup.

Just sent you a debug report.
Restarted homey several times w/o luck
Didn’t change anything at all :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Arh just removed the IP and now it works💪🏼

1 Like

Hello Marco,

My apologies a bit off-topic but a quick question here.
How did you set up your venetian blinds? what type of motor did you use, just the standard motor from motion blinds?
I want to automate my non smart venetianblinds from Topjaloezieën.nl.
Thank you in advance, again my apologies for going off-topic! :sweat_smile: :blush:

If I’m correct then @Marco didn’t have Venetian blinds but a Duo rollerblind, which is basically a rollerblind with tilt control. It uses two layers of blinds with alternating transparent and non-transparent bars. The tilt control is used to align the transparent bars to let light in, or misalign them to have full cover.

These type of blinds can use a normal rollerblind motor to retrofit non smart duo blinds and make them smart.

Motion Blinds also provides true venetian blinds and top down bottom up blinds, but those can not be retrofitted. The motor parts are fitted into the cassette, so these are built smart from the ground up (figuratively speaking, gravity still applies :smile: ). I do not know of any Motion Blinds products that can be retrofitted to control existing Venetian blinds I’m afraid.

1 Like

Thank you for the information! I guess I’ll have to look elsewhere then. :blush:

Hallo Edwin, ik heb rolgordijnen met de Motion Blinds bediening maar het lukt me niet om ze allemaal met een commando of een flow gezamenlijk te openen of te sluiten. Heb jij een idee?

Hi, if you want to speak Dutch, please use the Motion Blinds NL thread, I’ll answer English here.

My Homey is turned off at the moment and I’m not near it so I cannot check.
Although Homey has flow cards for all devices of a type, I normally use the group app to combine devices:

Or I create flows that name all the individual devices. The reason is that more often that not, all is never really all. That way I can separate sunblinds and rollerblinds more easily for example.

Motion Blinds just teleased a new firmware version for the small white USB Motion Blinds Bridge (version A1.0.7_B0.1.6) that fixes AccessToken errors and problems where the bridge sometimes loses its settings.

1 Like