[APP][Pro&Cloud] Shelly

v3.12.0 - 2022-09-12

• Breaking change: This release removes the previously deprecated drivers for all Shelly Plus/Pro devices on Homey Pro and Homey Cloud. If you have missed or ignored previous communication about this, you will have to re-pair these devices with the new generic Shelly device driver.
  • The release also contains some minor performance improvements and the support for specific hardware revisions of Pro devices.

As communicated the last couple of weeks this release removes the previously deprecated Shelly Plus and Pro drivers for Homey Pro and Homey Cloud. With over 75+ drivers the Shelly app has grown huge over time and there is a lot more to come. It’s hard to maintain the app where every device has it’s own driver and I’m worried this is starting to impact performance. Since version 3.11.x I have switched to a generic driver supporting all Shelly devices allowing me to remove any other drivers. As the Plus/Pro drivers have not been around for that long the number of users affected by this is relatively low. But if you have these devices and you missed or ignored previous communication about this, you will now have to re-pair these devices with the new generic Shelly device driver to make them work with Homey again. For now I’ll leave all first generation Shelly device drivers intact but you are still encouraged to re-pair these devices with the new generic Shelly driver.

I have all my Shelly devices re-paired with Homey (did that last Friday). The Pro 4PM I re-paired again this evening about 2 hours ago and seems to be working fine now. Will check again tomorrow if Homey is able to switch off my garden lights in the morning :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The same issue as @b1ue3AGLE, Homey freezes/drops network afer couple of minutes of operation. Restarted 3 times during last 3-4 hours. Unstability began today after Shelly App update. Until this update it ran 3 month with no interuption.

It’s logical to blame the app update for your issue but there are no functional changes in the 3.12.x release other than the removal of the Plus/Pro device drivers. So if there where no issues on the last couple of release there should be none now. But please list your connected Shelly devices and send me a diagnostic report when the app has been running for some time. Perhaps I can find a pattern.

Hi, my name is Luca and i have to use a Shelly plus I4 with Homey without a problem until an hour ago. Now Homey dont comunicate with this Shelly device. To be precise, Homey sees Shelly’s other devices without problems. What is happening in your opinion? Can someone help me? Thank you

Read the changelog.

This morning my garden lights switched off automatically. So I guess it could be best, when repairing, first remove the device from Homey, reboot Homey and the device. Then Homey finds the “new” device automatically. For me this seems to works best.

@Phuturist, are You sure, that I am blaming about something? I provided only clear facts - after new Shelly update Homey started to freeze/drop network. Now I can add another clear facts - I stopped shelly app and the Homey worked. When I started app back, Homey started to freeze. When I removed newly “unsupported” Shelly devices and started shelly app, Homey works. Clear result - new update makes some shelly devices unavailable/unsupported. Presence of this unavailable/unsupported devices in system caused freezing of Homey - no blaming, clear facts with clear result. Tested, confirmed. It is shame, that developer didn’t test and investigated this before rolled out an update. Result of new update was not only that disabled shelly devices and all related flows but also “killed” whole system with necessity of physical reboot of Homey. And to argumentation, that change was announced (possibility that update can disable whole system was not announced at all) - my installation is designed in fully automatic mode, users nor I don’t need to open/use app on regular basis and therefore I had no chance to read any announcement. I have only couple of Shelly’s as proof of concept in one of my installations but used in tens of flows. Redefinition of flows will take some hours. Nobody will pay me for those hours. Installation is remote, physical reboot was very complicated. My customer makes me responsible for this outage. This situation taught me, that combination of Homey and Shelly cannot be used as trusted and professional solution. Based on this I decided immediately to replace all Shelly units for something with more stable and responsible development.

Good to hear you have found a solution to your problem.

p.s. the freezing of Homey due to the Shelly app is a know issue related to mDNS and specific hardware on the user network. After discussion with Athom about this they have decided not to try and fix this in Homey SDK. If you ever feel the need to try the Shelly app again have a look at this Github issue which explains possible solutions in more detail.

1 Like

Homey isn’t professional, full stop. If you’re selling it as a professional solution, you’re deluding your customers.

How much did you pay @Phuturist for his app?

1 Like

I noticed just now that Homey is again not able to control any of the 4 channels of my Shelly Pro 4PM. When a channel is switched on by the Shelly IOS app, Homey does see this and even shows the power consumed by the respective channel, but when I try to control the same channel, nothing happens.

Is there anything I can do to help further investigation?
Thanks for your support.

Yes, please send me a diagnostic report directly after you tried to control the device. These commands are send over plain HTTP REST API. So it’s most likely an unstable network. Is there any error shown in the app when you try to switch the state of a channel (and wait at least 30 seconds as there could also be a time out error after that time).

“How much did you pay @Phuturist for his app?” @robertklep what are you talking about??? As a Shelly app developer is marked Allterco Robotics, company which produces Shelly units. Therefore I suppose, that they are paying for app development as a support for business with their devices. I already paid for Shelly units to Allterco. And I paid also to Athom for Homey Pro. Athom proclaims, that Homey supports Shelly. I don’t understand, why I should pay more to @Phuturist. If he decided to work for Allterco Robotics for free, it was his decision, I cannot substitute Allterco nor Athom.
To term “professional solution” - I think professional solution is something, what can work correctly over time, something which can act as reliable central unit for home automation, which is well maintained and probably what is not fired down by updates. If Homey is not professional solution - what is it??? Toy??? What does it mean PRO in product name??? I am helping with Home Automation to households/families, which are not able to build something like that by ourselves. And they want to have professional stable home automation system. Do will Athom agree, that Homey is not professional solution for Home Automation??? I think no, they will not. And finnaly what is professional solution, Fibaro? Yes, it is, but do will Athom (as your mental idol) agree, that Fibaro is professional and Homey not. I think you are lost. And You dare to talk, that I am deluding ???
@robertklep I think your argumentation is very week and blind. I am watching your aggressive forum activity and majority of your contributions are attacks to users, which show any dissatisfaction with Homey. I don’t know, if You are paid for this by Athom or it is kind of a manifestation of unfulfilled ambitions, but please stop attacking me and stop marking my work as deluding. I am working very hard in place of permanent browsing forums and attacking others. Full Stop

thanks a lot…

As you requested, here is the code for the diagnostic report:
6c6faa39-6ce8-47ce-afa9-ee749aca430e

I switched on all channels, none of them gave back any power.
The device is connected through ethernet, not wifi.
Hope this helpes.

Are you an official Homey installer then? Do you have direct access to Athom support when things for your client don’t work? Why are you posting your grievances on a community forum?

Homey is a consumer product. The “Pro” in Homey Pro doesn’t mean that Homey is Professional, it means it’s meant for pro users.

That’s a new one, I’m usually being told that I’m too critical about Homey :joy:

Unfortunately it doesnt. There is nothing in the changelog. I need a clearer picture on what is going on. Please answer these questions one by one.

• the device works fine shortly after pairing but after some time of use does not respond anymore to status changes from Homey?
  • it’s connected to ethernet with a static IP address and its on the same LAN as Homey? There is no firewall or adblocker blocking traffic?
  • Are you using device password authentication?
  • Is eco mode turned off (just to make sure)?
  • There are no errors when switching the channel, also no timeouts after 30 seconds?
  • What firmware does the Pro 4PM has?

If this would have been an issue with the code I would have seen more reports about this by now. There must be something in your setup that is blocking regular HTTP traffic (which is used for sending commands) but not blocking websockets (which is used for status updates).

That is correct

It was connected through ethernet. Just to check, I changed the device config and moved it to the same wifi network, no change.

Yes

Yes

No

Firmware version: 0.11.0
Firmware build ID: 20220830-132254/0.11.0-gfa1bc37

First off, I fully understand your frustration. It sucks when stuff doesnt work. What I do not understand is your lame ass attitude towards me taking away all motivation to help you in any way. My app works for at least 95% of it’s 8000 users. Of course there will always be people with some issues. I’m trying to help everyone that’s able to communicate in a normal way but you are not one of them. I’m perfectly fine you are switching to another solution.

To enlighten you on your idea about the Homey eco system. I started this app as amateur developer that wanted support for Shelly devices in Homey and there was no app available yet. At some point Homey created the certified developer program and Athom and Allterco Robotics asked my to continu development as certified developer. I told them I would do so on best effort. I have a full time job, kids and no real coding background. I’m not paid for this and I dont work for any of these companies. It’s just a hobby project. I do get free devices from Allterco Robotics to integrate them in the app, that’s the only perk for me. Other then a t-shirt, a sweatvest and a free Homey Cloud license which I only use for testing I do not get anything from Athom (my early Homy 2019 is getting really slow but Athom wont replace it). Since you seem to be keen on presenting facts I hope these facts will give you some insights on the how and why we ended up here.

3 Likes

Is it an option to temporary disable password authentication and re-pair the device to see if that fixes the issue of loosing control. My guess is there might be something wrong with how my app handles the digest authetication on Plus/Pro devices but I need to validate this.

And do you know how to run the app from the command line? I could create a debug version allowing me to get more useful data to troubleshoot this.