Advanced flow executing, slower than via normal flow

Hi,

I used several variations of the normal flows via Homey and recently started creating new flows in the Advance flow set up. I like the usability of the advanced flows and it will simplify the overview of my flows. However I do have an issue with the “response speed” of the advance flow once triggered. Especially if I compare it with the normal flow.

I tried to simplify it into a straightforward example: If I push the “on” button of a Hue 4-button light switch, it switches Kitchen light to a DIM of 100%.
(At the bottom you can find the example screenshot - only allowed to add one screenshot)

If I run the advanced flow by hitting the “ON” button on the Hue switch, it takes the advanced flow almost 3 seconds to execute. I also created the same action via a normal flow. It then takes approx. between 1-2 seconds. You really notice a difference in response time as of the moment you hit the “on” button.

Therefore, in order to avoid “noise” in the testing, I also used the “test” button in the online homey interface, in both the advanced flow and normal flow. The difference in response time remains almost the same (simply clocked - not via professional measuring mechanisms)

I do notice, if I test the normal flow, the cards get ticket quite fast (with the green check mark).
With the advanced flow, I see the “queue bar” at the bottom running from 0 to 100%, which I think takes (too) long per card. Especially when the complexity of the advanced flow increases.

As there something I can do about this? Did I miss anything?
I hope anybody has some ideas about it.

(FYI: Homey Pro - early 2019, Storage approx 40% full, memory approx 65% full)

Thank you in advance.

Advanced Flow

Pleas doe not use this as a reference, For AF it “simulates” the flow with animations.
that is not representative for normal flows executions.
See my test with 25x Delay 0 Sec. / ANY / ALL
These Hops don’t take any serious time in flows, only in Test / Simulation.

Standard Flows start all “Then/Else” Actions at the same time, where in AF you probably chain them.
But there should not be a real big difference between fe the flow you shared in AF or in Standards Flows.

Thank you for pointing out the simulation is not showing a representative speed. That wasn’t clear to me. Also the reference to your (test) topic is helpful.

Then it’s probably caused by something else I need to review first. Maybe due to a change I did via the Hue hub related to the Hue 4-button (added it via the Hue hub, but as device only - not with the button logic, which I want to do via AF).

Thanks for your input!

Eliminate the Hue Bridge for the button, I guess it is polled or is just slow. Is it possible to connect a button local to homey using Zigbee of Z-Wave? (Better than FR433 as fe KAKU)

Hi,

I missed out on your latest response. It put me in the right direction and now solved it.
Thanks for putting me in the right direction! The latency is gone. Sometimes even small things can make you happy (or frustrate :slight_smile: - that’s why I left it for some time).

In case it can also help others: The latency I experienced, did NOT relate to the advanced flow. It was due to the fact it was now possible via advanced flows to integrate new options more easily (options I did not use before) AND how the connection was set up via Homey Flows <> Hue hub <> light <> dimmer switch.

Cause
In the original set up I connected the Hue 4-button dimmer switch to the Hue hub. With the advanced flow I decided to add new functionality to the individual buttons using Advanced flows. Even though I removed the ‘tasks’ of the 4-button dimmer switch in the Hue hub, the switch was still connected to the Hue hub.

Because the Hue hub is connected to Homey, Homey reflects all Hue devices. Besides other devices, also allowing the dimmer switch to be selected via the standard /advanced flows in Homey.
This was causing the latency. I don’t know in full detail how, but it has to do with redundant communication between Homey flow with a per button instruction <> Hue hub <> light to be triggered <> the actual dimmer switch.

What solved the latency?

1. As per your suggestion, I then eliminated /removed the complete dimmer switch from the Hue hub. Of course the buttons did not work anymore, because it was no longer part of the Hue hub and therefore also lost functionality in Homey.

2. I went to “add new device” in Homey by opening the “Homey” app (part of the list of all the apps you installed on /via Homey). I then selected the “add Zigbee connection” (Hue is Zigbee protocol).

3. I put the switch button in “set-up mode” (by holding the reset-button on the back of the switch button for 2 seconds). Homey via the Homey app then recognized the switch button as a new device.

4. I added the new device switch button to the existing flow and assigned/re-connected the flow tasks to the buttons, by putting the device in the already existing flow and remove the old no longer connected “4-button Hue dimmers switch which was connected via the hub previously”.