Advanced Flow — Community Q&A (from Ask Me Anything 05-07-2022)

Hey @Emile,

In the AMA of 5-7-'22 at about 1:01:30, you are responding to a question about local variables.
I also have allready asked that question to you on the other forum-thread, but i will ask it again with a better decription and example.

Because at 1:01:50, you say that the local tags can be modified. I think you misspoke here, because as far as i know, tags cannot be changed: using for example the “Read as JSON and set PATH to […]” will create a new (modified) tag.
And this creates a “problem”.

But maybe i am missing something? In the AMA you talked about modifying the Tag.
Is there a way of modifying a Tag within a flow (and thuse: not creating a new modified Tag)?

So i will now try to explain what people, or at least i, mean bij local variables: Scoped variables/tags that are mutable/modifiable and bound to the flow-execution.

Why would you need this?

So i can set scoped variables based on if-then-else statements or assign default values in case there are errors.

Here is an example. In this example, there are three Text-Tags generated.

• The first one will stay the same
  • The second and third are changed, buth there is no way to use those Tags in a recombining flowline.

I have a lott of real use-cases. Like this example, after changing the Tag, i cannot recombine the three lines into one card, because it would not know which Tag to use.

The only way to “modify” and “re-use” a value throughout the flow, is to put it in a variable, recombine the lines and re-read the variable.
Problem is, this is not scoped: running the flow multiple times paralel (fastly triggered for example) would change the variable during the flow execution for al flow-instances.

Here one more example of the pain to update variables throughout the flow, just to set default parameters, and still: this is not scoped and could give issues when executed paralel to each other.