2 stay under 5kW

Is this a workable way to reduce MaxPower in my house ?

1 Like

To be able to help you , maybe it can be explained a bit more what is what and what do you want to achieve?

Hi @_OE_9 Knut,
the simple answer is NO.
But first let me ask, why you want to keep your MaxPower below 5 kW?

Then to be sure, that your current power does not exceed 5kW, you must ensure that there are onlys consumers (washing machine, dishwasher, hairdryer, hot water boiler, heating, oven, coffee machine, etc.) running, that would allow a potential consumption of 5kW. So if some consumers are running, you need to block all other consumers that would raise the (potential) consumption above 5 kW. As there are so many possible combinations, it is a bit tricky to do it with advanced flow. but I guess it is possible.
If you are alone in the house it is manageable, but if there are more family members or guests, do you think you can forbid them to use the hair dryer because the washing machine is running? Or can you risk that if someone is taking a shower, suddenly the water gets cold, because the boiler cannot warm it at this time? Or will you eat about two or three hours later than planned?
And reducing the kitchen temperature by 1 Kelvin, will not stop heating to work, depending what type of heating system you have.
To add a priority to the consumers will make it really tricky. Then you must enable the flow to decide, which consumer you can cut off, if the actual power threats to exceed 5 kW.

Well, in cae it is just the installation of the kitchen, it might be possible (no shower, no hair dryer). But I guess it would be useful to spend a money to buy one or two extra cables.

The reason for this try is:
I have 2 pay GridRent
Fixed Link Level Step 2 is 190NOK/Month ((2-5kWh/h /month)3 highest kWh/h))
Fixed Link Level Step 3 is 305NOK/Month ((5-10kWh/h)) which is +60.53%
Thats the reason 4 not 2 use over 5kWh/h
House is heated with Electric Panel Heaters so if my HotWater boiler is warming up (2KW) I dont want my Electric Panel Heater to be ON…thats why I reduse the temp setting on the “VTermo(app)” which controls
the Electric Panel Heater/via “Heatit.16amp relay”… and if the DishWasher is using over 100W same thing to happend…LivingRoom heater is connected same way … it seames to work… the minus side of this is the temp in these rooms are getting lower…but who cares

I think posible in avance flow.
You must make at first make a swich matrix with all load’s of equipement.
Then you must have in every power lines to the above mentioned device a smart-switch (best with power metring)
Then make with the above matrix, waht can be switched off if somthing starts (heating off panel, boiler’s, car’s)

Then make in flow’s with a lot off if then’s if exceed load then switch off, and off cource if to normal switch it on again.

Maybee some overrull row’s not to cook if temp below minus ect ect.

But it will bee een time consuming system, and make your calculation with it to have a comfort live

Must not confuse 5kW and above 5kWh. Your solution will in fact reduce the momentary consumption, but accumelated is the issue. In my experience, it is better to focuse on loads that are heavy over time. The boiler is definetly one of them. If you have heating ovens, you can decrease the temperature a degree or two when the boiler is heating, regarding the dishwasher and washingmachine, i would have a different approach , when the diswasher or the washingmachine runs, turn of the boiler if it is heating. The boiler should be powered on/off with timers, so it does not flick in and out all the time, as soon as a limit is reached/below.

1 Like

Check out the Piggy bank app, it’s designed to control devices to maximum power limits

1 Like

There might be easier way to do this.

The total power is the total measured power of the household electrical inlet, or any other measurement you want to use.

And if this makes the thermostat relay to operate too often then you should add some timers to make some delays to change the temperature of the thermostat. For example if power is over 5kW for 30s then change the target temperature to 10. And if the power is lower than 2kW for 3minutes change the temperature to 16C or 17C. This can be done for example with countdown app.

I tried that #peltsi51#…Whats happening is that in worste case my panel_heaters turn off (setting down wantet temperature… my heaters are on or off) then 5000W becomes 3000 watt …so after a few seconds
they will turn on again… so the relays turn off/on every 10 seconds…but I have tryed my way a few days now and it works fine 4 me …so thanks everybody :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats why you have to have some hysteresis between the power limits as I made in the example. 5000W off limit and 2000W on limit if you have a 2000W heater.

Good to hear that your way works. As always there are numerous possibilities to make something work. :+1:

Just my idea:
I would calculate the remaining energy to fill the 5 kWh per hour and how much power you may consume (constantly) in the remaining time. Thus, if you did not spent very much energy in the first half of the hour, you can consume much more than 5kW in the remaining time. And if - in spite of any measurements you spent more in the beginning, the flow would start earlier to reduce the temperature.
As the remaining potential power differs from 5000W I divide the potential power by 2.5 or for the purpose of better numerical issues, I multiply the current power by 2.5. So I somehow get the equivalent to your 2000W condition.
In result you will more often exceed the 5 kWh by some Wh, but you will less often sit in a cold kitchen just because there is a short time power consumption of more than 5000W.
In addition I expect fewer excesses much higher than 5kWh per hour, as if you start with higher consumption in the beginning of the hour, the measurement is more restrictive for the remaining minutes.
I use the App temporary variables ( Temporary Variables App for Homey | Homey ) to avoid variable names that are not needed. but you can also define more variables.
I defined the numeric variables myLastTotalEnergy to calculate the energy in the current hour and myHourlyConsumption to watch your consumption in Insight , in order to check for helpful or necessary adjustments.

It is just my idea - i could not test it as I currently do not have the same needs or environment.
I found many mistakes in the formulas - so I cannot guarantee that it is error-free. So feel free to tell me about further mistakes or ask anything, if you do not understand, why I did it that way.

WOW that looked advanced… as said before I`m quite satisfied with my solution… my #Heading# missed something…my goal was also to prioritize how power is used…so if I make Food i the Oven… there is no need for using the panelheater in the kitchen… usualy the Hot Water Boiler is on during night…so no need for heating up the house a.s.o. this way the danger for exceed the 5kWh/h is acceptable… so my max power consumption/h is now under 4½kWh/h… so things work here but THX any way :+1:

Fine with me
If ever you are going to test another procedure, just tell us.
:wave:

@_OE_9 Did you read what @Marius_Stensrod wrote? “Must not confuse 5kW and above 5kWh.”
So what do you mean with 5kWh/h?

I have the same “problem”, but selected a more simple solution. It is no hard limit, but the one thing that can be spread out on hours is the hot water boiler. So I run in on the 4 cheapest hours in a 24 hour period (day) and for 25 minutes only. This it takes no more than 1 KWh - leaving more headroom for my other stuff.

1 Like

here it come #Mike1233#:index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

The net rent consists of two parts

1 . Fixed link

The fixed rate has different steps and is settled according to the average of the three highest daily maximums in the month . A daily maximum is the hour in which you used the most electricity during one day . That is to say, the average of the three hours a month you used the most electricity (spread over three different days) makes up the fixed level you end up on_copied from my ElectricGridProvider

My electric Meter sends a rapport to the ElectricGridProvider every Hour with how many kWh used

So if I max consume between 2-5kWh (3 times during month) during 1 Hour which is 2-5kWh/1h (= NOK199/month)
So if I max consume between 5-10kWh (3 times during month) during 1 Hour which is 5-10kWh/1h (= NOK305/month)

I can use 10KW during ½h and ziro the next ½h and still be under 5.1kWh/h
Hope this was understandable

1 Like

I think I know what you mean but kWh/h?
10kWh is already 10kW for 1 hour. So 10kWh is it.
And 10kW energy use for an half hour is 5kWh.

And I understand what you were trying to explain.

You don’t seem to be interested, but Piggy bank app is created to deal with exactly the Norwegian Energy system in the first place.