Zigbee routing and 20 devices (directly connected) hardware limit

@Rocodamelshekima
typo should be: 2 to 3 meters…

1 Like

Ow, haha.

That’s sounds strange. Haven’t had problems like that. I hope that your new Homey solves the problems!

I didn’t say that devices always connect to the closest router. I said the distance and walls are factors. I have heard that devices prefer to connect to Homey instead of routers before, perhaps that a direct connection has some advantage over an indirect connection.

I think, that correct routing is introduced in V5 version. I had a lot of problems to add additional device once the total number was high. In V5 its much better if you have enough routers.

@Igy
Hope that the release will be soon, currently it simply does not work.

I just tried again adding a zigbee device without any success, it is detected when the pair button is pressed, in the app i get a message: please wait, your device is being added
But then nothing happens anymore, i can wait as long as i want but the screen never changes and the device it not added.

I am doing this nearby 1 of the 2 osram zigbee wall plugs routers i added earlier.

Is there a release date known of v5?
(i am not that eager to install beta or experimental firmware)

Hi, I migrated to v5 and my mesh mainly using IKEA wall plugs as router. I still cant see what is going on with the two devices (?). They work though, so maybe someome tell me, why do I care. But still I want to know reason why it does not show a path and I wonder what is “receive when idle” mean (next to online column).

It can take up to 9 days, you could remove and readd, that fixes it too

Will remove/readd destroy all the flows with that device? Or will the flows still work afterwards?

Flows need to be repaired manually. Device is not recognized anymore.

You can try to add the device without removing first, sometimes it helps, sometimes you get a duplicate device error.

Thanks. I tried remove/readd. Had to repair the flows. But the route information is still a “?”. (And a clear majority of my devices still have a “?” after using v5 for a week.)
While using v4.2, I by mistake added a Aqara device without removing it first. Got a duplicated device that I couldn’t remove. Had to uninstall the Aqara app to fix it. So I’m not sure if I dare to do that again…

In my case it took much longer than 9 days. But the devices worked anyway.

To avoid that all your flows are destroyed perform the following trick: Add the same device without removing it first. You will get an error: Duplicate device found. This way your flows will be preserved.

other trick
use additional flows
Like: This flow is started -> to turn on a light
So from 1/n flow(s) call the other flow. if 1 device is removed, you only have to fix 1 flow not a whole bunch.

But how do you remove the duplicated device? I had two entries in the device list with the same address. (Before when using v4.2. Haven’t tried with v5).
I have been using the <group> app to avoid need to repair flows. Just to update the <group> settings to the new device. Anyone else doing that?

To my experience this worked with 4.2. but with zigbee update in v5, the repairing of currently paired device will now force deletion and you lose the device and respective flows instantly.

It is not that you receive two devices. On 4.2. you get the fail message “duplicate error”. The current device remain in homey and it usually corrected the routing. But in v5 see my post above. So it does not give the error but force delete of the current device with all flows consequence.

After three weeks I still dont have any routing information…
Starting to wonder if everything is okay.

I’m also unable to add a new Zigbee device (Tuya LCD temp/hum sensor).

All my Aqara sensors are working like expected though.

1 Like

And what happens when you remove a device and re-add?

How many devices do you have? And how many of them are routing?

And after you remove a device you cannot add it again!

To report back. I removed/re-added a Hue Lamp, that probably was used as router by many devices. And then all my question marks disappeared. Directly for the Routers and within 10-20 minutes for the EndDevices. I have seen how the mesh has been changing a bit over time. Among the 13 Routers and 10 EndDevices, 5 of the Routers are connected directly to Homey. None of the EndDevices are connected directly. One device that have had connection issues since I switched to v5, now seems to work fine (so far…). Seems to work really well!