Will homey support Matter?

FYI… Home Assistant (Nabu Casa) have publicly declared that they will be working on it as soon as the standard is released or do any pre-preparation where is possible…

1 Like

I am a former owner of Homey and am now considering investing in Homey Bridge but I am thinking about whether I should buy something that will not support the new technologies. If Homey really can not answer what their plans are, otherwise I might as well buy Smartthings or something.

Homey…let me know.

1 Like

So you know what homey is and does. You know the limitations of the bridge and are still considering it and you have read this entire thread. What more do you need?

2 Likes

Hi Martin.

I guess I just hoping it would update and get in line with other bridges in 2022 but like you said I already know this play out.

What do you mean by ‘get in line with other bridges’? I really do hope Matter gets supported. Not for me, at the moment at least, but for the company itself. Matter has some very strong stakeholders so hopefully it’ll play out. For now nobody knows what the status on Matter or does know on anything on the roadmap of Athom producs.

I would have thought that designing the Bridge would have been a great opportunity to add more up-to-date hardware to the Homey lineup. Almost all (relatively) recent Zigbee chipsets can be programmed to support Thread (one of the two main transport protocols of Matter), but the CC2530 that both Homey and the Bridge use is so outdated that AFAIK no one is even considering porting a Thread stack to it.

Yup, fully agree with this. I guess this will make more and more users move to other solutions like a few mentioned above. It is very unfortunate that even though there are so many issues with zigbee, even after the complete rewrite, there is no clear path to the solution presented from Athom. Indeed, if they would have updated the chip in the bridge, it would have been a logical step to update the pro too. But nothing like that. As I said, very unfortunate, but one can only hope they know best what users want.

“We like to compare ourselves with Apple, we’re no innovators, we’re improvers”
:joy:

1 Like
3 Likes

Meanwhile:

8 Likes
2 Likes

Read almost all comments. Conclusion: just, once again a new standard. I don’t see any problems, just pairing with the bridges… Homey is good at that, right?.. linking incompatible systems. So Homey can link “matter” or something else to what already exists. Isn’t that the reason why we use Homey?

Just seen the keynote… seems it wil support it :smiley:

Does anyone has an official answare from Atom?
will dey support it only on the new version or the sphere will support it too?

Just ask here to hopefully get an answer in the next AMA .

Based on the Homey 2023 announcement I expect Matter support only on the new hardware.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the 3d, but I’m more focused on the “sphere” :-(… ok, let us wait and we will see … tnx

About privacy (which does matter)

Zigbee = local only :white_check_mark:
Matter :question:

Does anyone know if Matter devices have or need internet access besides LAN?

Translated:
What almost no one is talking about is that Matter is a step back when it comes to privacy protection. Zigbee devices could not access the internet independently, but Matter devices can. All the security and privacy problems of WiFi devices are now also coming to Zigbee-like devices, and we should be happy about that.

‘Matter’ might be a selling point for the Pro 2, a reason to not update the sphere (if that is even possible technically)

That could only be possible if those devices would run a full TCP/IP stack, which they don’t. Matter is as local as Zigbee is, but Matter controllers can pass your device data to the cloud (much like a Zigbee controller can do now too).

1 Like

Ah that’s the info I couldn’t find yet. Thanks Robert!