The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

Hey, apparently, you can allready do this with the Micro Web Server App voor Homey | Homey.
Use that Url for Sonos. :slight_smile:
Thanks @DaneedeKruyff

I would expect that it is not important which Homey hardware you have to restore a backup. Reason: the device has hardware abstraction and APIs to discover which capabilities the device supports. So consider it a platform on which apps can run, and the hardware should not matter.
I do realise that certain capabilities (like speaker, led ring etc.) are no longer supported so there are limitations. It would also be good to have a graceful way out of those, so we are not stuck with dozens of broken flows on the new device.

Question: Homey pro 2023 will come with 3 z-wave antenna’s. Can more than one be used as the same time so that Europe and US units can coexist or just enable on one ?

It is not legal to use the US frequency here in Europe or vice versa. Pretty sure it is not possible without modifying the firmware. Athom doesn’t claim for nothing in the keynote that the device automatically switches to the correct frequency / antenna.

1 Like

Quickly looking at the documentation of the z-wave chip used, it isn’t possible at all, even if the firmware would allow it, the Z-wave chip used only has 1 pin used for antenna usage, so enabling both frequenties would pretty much lower the transmission power in half.
The switching (and filtering) is done outside of the (main) z-wave chip itself too.

You could better ask if the Long Range function is used :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but probably not.

2 Likes

but they definitely have contact with the community, and listen,
only they will not easily give the competitors more info than necessary.

4 Likes

Question :

1. The Homey Pro (2023) is being release as as early access, I am not sure if everyone has the same expectations as to what this means. In which quarter are your suggesting that the device be ready to be used by the average user as their primary smart home hub?
  2. You mentioned that ‘not everything will be 100%’, are you able to give examples to the community of that this will mean, ie. will a device not work, or is it possible that frequency might not work, or will it be possible that all your devices/flows will be deleted?
  3. Q4/Q1 product has being the equivalent as an alpha, early beta, beta, or RC product?
2 Likes

Q: Will we be able to change the zigbee channel without having to reset the entire zigbee network? Sometimes useful when interference from nearby 2.4GHz wifi networks becomes an issue.

1 Like

You can already do that in the developer tools.
Network reset isn’t necessary, some devices/brands do find it difficult to follow, but that’s only a minor amount of brands that you’ll have to reset.
Or can you think of a good reason for removing such functionality?

Last time I tried (1y ago) changing the channel did not actually work without doing a network reset, although I also heard it “should have worked”. But to be honest I had a lot of stability issues with 40+ zigbee devices connected to Homey so it may have been a combination of factors. Changing the zigbee channel is trivial on most other solutions indeed. In my case on Deconz I changed it and just had to wake most sensors a couple of times (Aqara).

In any case I would like a confimation from Athom this will (still) work. :slight_smile:

As a Homey Pro owner and user, I would first like to say that Athom and its community are now living with a stable product.

I have been wondering when the next iteration of Homey Pro would come and here it is. So far so good. I salute the Homey Team as well as all 3rd party developers that together have created a really awesome platform!

Now, to keep in line with the topic I will use questions to get my point across:

When will you support migration from the old Homey Pro to the new?

I will gladly upgrade when that is possible. I humbly suggest that you prioritize this migration, since as many others have pointed out, it is just as easy to switch platform as it is to “start from scratch”.

Another question that has been asked a lot in this thread but not answered as far as I have seen:

Is there a limit in the new hardware as to how many Zigbee devices that can be DIRECTLY connected to the new Pro? If so, how many?

2 Likes

Hi Pantera, some Q.'s in this topic are going to be answererd tonight Tuesday, October 25th, 19:00 CEST by Athom. That was the original idea.
See post #1
There’s also your anwer to:

Tuesday, October 25th, 19:00 CEST we’ll host an AM
Not tonight!!

Whoops, my bad :hugs: It’s corrected.

Thank you for the reply @Peter_Kawa .

Just so that I understand:
You are saying that you are prioritizing migration so that it WILL be available when the product is available for delivery?

While I do not completely understand the need to keep the “zigbee number” a secret until the 25th of October, I will naturally eagerly await delivery of said number on that date. :slight_smile:

YW! That will be answered by Athom, and the message about migration in post #1 is, to me, nothing but a shared thought, not a promise.

I don’t know why it isn’t communicated yet, probably they just want to tell about it, with some background info, in the livestream.
Otherwise the livestream wouldn’t be necessary anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Need more information on the Satellite mode

1. Do we still have to pay for premium for connecting more than 5 devices to the Homey bridge used in Satellite mode?
  2. In satellite mode will PRO and BRIDGE communicate locally or via cloud
  3. How will the Bridge get configured via Local Homey Pro or Homey Cloud
  4. Will the Bridge also support RJ45
  5. Would the existing Bridge devices work or there will be a new Bridge as well
  6. In case of failure of the Bridge the replacement would be easy / seamless to configure to the old Bridge
    7 Will you have some indicator to highlight which app work locally or from cloud

FYI: Guess the first two are already answered,

and:

and

You already can, Browse the Homey App Store and select Technology LAN or Cloud:

Will zigbee and zwave devices connected to a satellite have a separate mesh or will it become one big mesh with the satellites being routers?

Each satellit will be its own mesh systen as every satellite (and the pro) will be the a controller.
When adding the device you will decide on to which controller it shall connect.

1 Like