Switching from Domoticz to Homey

Currently I am running Domoticz and after losing all my Z-Wave devices once more, having to give the server a hard reset again, spending hours to get Google Home connected through Home Bridge etc I am basically fed up with it. Now I want something that just works.

Before switching to Homey however, I have some questions and there’s some things that I want to check. I have found a lot of information on the YouTube channel of Athom and on the website. There’s a few things left.

• Can I use the website like I use the website of Domoticz? So also to switch lights?
  • Can I access the website from outside my house as well?
  • Is the website available as PWA? Basically: does the web app on my Surface Pro behave like the tablet app on an iPad Pro?
  • How is the integration with Google Home? Can I for example, connect some lights to my Homey, assign them to a room and after synchronizing with Google Home again just say:“Ok Google, switch of the lights in the living room”? Or do I first need to create a flow that I can call from Google Home?
  • It is said that the maximum number of apps is about 20. Does the type of app make a difference? Or is it just the bare number of apps?
  • How does the number of flows impact the performance?
  • Currently my smart meter interfaces through a USB stick with Domoticz; how do I get those values in Homey? Through my Eneco Toon?
  • If I start mixing LSC, Lidl, Hombli and more Tuya based devices, should I be looking for the apps for the different brands? Or save myself a lot of apps and see if I can connect all these brands to the Tuya Homey app?
  • Is it easy to copy-paste flows?
  • Is it easy to copy-paste Homey Script flows?
  • Is it possible to convert flows to a Homey Script? And the other way around?
  • Will all values be stored in Homey Insights? So, temperature, illuminance, power usage, on/off state etc.

At the moment I have the following devices/services:

• Fibaro smoke detectors
  • Fibare carbon monoxide detector
  • Greenwave powernodes (single and 6 slot)
  • Neo Coolcam power plugs
  • Neo Coolcam multisensors
  • Danfoss radiator knobs
  • Stork CMFe R ventilation system
  • Trädfri light bulbs
  • Trädfri motion sensor
  • KaKu switches
  • KaKu ACM-100
  • KaKu dimmable power plug
  • Xiaomi Aqara water leak sensor
  • Xiaomi robot vacuum
  • Xiaomi Mi Box S
  • Eneco Toon
  • Samsung smart TV
  • Tesla
  • Sonos speaker
  • Spotify
  • Smart meter/P1
  • Xbox One
  • Philips Living Colors Gen 1
  • Ziggo Next
  • Ubiquiti Unifi network

So far I noticed there are no apps for:

• Stork CMFe R ventilation system. I think it works on 868 Mhz. Any idea there?
  • Xiaomi Mi Box S → will be controllable through Chrome cast
  • Philips Living Colors Gen 1

Looking at the list I think I will need about 16 apps

These are the automations that I currently have in Domoticz or I would like to be able to do to start with:

• If a specific scene is switched on (for example when everyone is away from home): get a notification if movement is detected
  • If a powerplug is switched on, have it switch of after an hour. Or if the device connected to a power plug consumes more than x Watt switch it of after an hour it first came above that value
  • If a specific scene is enabled (for example) we are at home or we went to bed, depending on the illumination, if movement is detected switch on a light for a specific period. Currently I determine if a scene is active by having a dummy switch with almost the same name. How would I handle scenes in Homey?
  • In case of notification of smoke or movement I would really like to be able to create one script that is triggered if one of the many smoke detectors detects smoke or one of the multisensors detects movement and then just sends a notification like:“Smoke is detected by [tag to triggering smoke detector]” or “Movement is detected by [tag of multisensor triggered by the movement]”. Would that be possible or do I have to write a flow for every smoke detector and for every multi sensor?
  • Does Homey support increasing the dim level from 0% to 100% (for example) over a set period of time?
  • I have my desktop PC, monitors, printer and amplifier connected to a Greenwave 6 node power node. I want to switch it off only if the desktop is switched off (so using for example less than 20 Watt). Is that possible?

So, you’re well preparered, that’s nice to see. I’ve decided to answer the English version on your topic.
I’ll try to answer your Q’s, from what I know.

• Can I use the website like I use the website of Domoticz? So also to switch lights?

I don’t know about Domoticz. With Homey there’s a phone/tablet app, and a website.
Both can switch lights and much more.
Web app device overview, 1 of 2

Web app device overview, 2 of 2

Web app ‘big tile’ view:

Phone / tablet app device overview (also for operating your stuff)

Web app device overview, similar to phone app:

• Can I access the website from outside my house as well?

Yes

• Is the website available as PWA? Basically: does the web app on my Surface Pro behave like the tablet app on an iPad Pro?

No

• How is the integration with Google Home? Can I for example, connect some lights to my Homey, assign them to a room and after synchronizing with Google Home again just say:“Ok Google, switch of the lights in the living room”? Or do I first need to create a flow that I can call from Google Home?

Yes, you can connect Homey to GHome. You don’t need a flow for switching a complete room (zone in Homey language).

• It is said that the maximum number of apps is about 20. Does the type of app make a difference? Or is it just the bare number of apps?

I use approx. 34 apps on a non-pro Homey (512MB RAM). A pro version should be able to run 70 apps. An app uses from 5 to 20MB’s in general, some use up to 35MB’s, but they really shouldn’t. So, it depends which apps you’re planning on using!! How much RAM an app uses is mostly the way it’s written imho. Can’t say a “type” uses more or less RAM.
Remember, you’ll use much more apps than the brands you want to use. Check my app types out;
An overview of my apps and RAM usage:

• How does the number of flows impact the performance?

None I would say. I’m over 400 flows.
But how many times a minute, and how many flows triggered at once do have impact (of course).

• Currently my smart meter interfaces through a USB stick with Domoticz; how do I get those values in Homey? Through my Eneco Toon?

Dunno, what smart meter interface do you use? Brand/Type?
I’ve got a HomeWizard P1 dongle, which connects via wifi.
Toon can be used with Homey, so maybe it just works with your setup.

• If I start mixing LSC, Lidl, Hombli and more Tuya based devices, should I be looking for the apps for the different brands? Or save myself a lot of apps and see if I can connect all these brands to the Tuya Homey app?

Use the Tuya smart app on your phone, and Tuya Cloud app on Homey to keep it simple.
Keep in mind you’ll need an active internet connection, and probably some Tuya dudes might watch you switching your lights

• Is it easy to copy-paste flows?

Yes

• Is it easy to copy-paste Homey Script flows?

You can easily duplicate scripts

• Is it possible to convert flows to a Homey Script? And the other way around?

I think so, but not with a “tool”. And a script almost cannot be converted (a.k.a built from scratch) into a flow, b/c scripts just have way more possibilities.
The power lies in the fact one can call a script with a flow.
I think lots of flows can be converted into scripts. But that’s a personal taste. The flows are quite nice to build and use.

• Will all values be stored in Homey Insights? So, temperature, illuminance, power usage, on/off state etc.

Lots of it, but it depends on the app.
On/Off is tracked in the phone app. But if you set a variable for every device on/off state, it’s visible via Insights.
A view of Insights:

A view of device timeline:

1 Like
  • These are the automations that I currently have in Domoticz or I would like to be able to do to start with:

• If a specific scene is switched on (for example when everyone is away from home): get a notification if movement is detected

Yes. You could create flows for that, or use the Heimdall app f.i. It works like an alarm system.

• If a powerplug is switched on, have it switch of after an hour. Or if the device connected to a power plug consumes more than x Watt switch it of after an hour it first came above that value

Yes

the or question:
Also yes, IF the powerplug has a power meter function with a compatible app for it. Tuya cloud wifi can’t deal with the power metering feature of smart plugs.

• If a specific scene is enabled (for example) we are at home or we went to bed, depending on the illumination, if movement is detected switch on a light for a specific period. Currently I determine if a scene is active by having a dummy switch with almost the same name. How would I handle scenes in Homey?

All this is possible.
There are loads of examples on the forum. If you can’t find one, just ask

• In case of notification of smoke or movement I would really like to be able to create one script that is triggered if one of the many smoke detectors detects smoke or one of the multisensors detects movement and then just sends a notification like:“Smoke is detected by [tag to triggering smoke detector]” or “Movement is detected by [tag of multisensor triggered by the movement]”. Would that be possible or do I have to write a flow for every smoke detector and for every multi sensor?

I’ve a script for that (in Dutch), not sure if it works with smoke detectors also.
Again the Heimdall app can come in handy.

• Does Homey support increasing the dim level from 0% to 100% (for example) over a set period of time?

No and yes. It cannot be done very fast. Like from 0 to 1 (0% to 100%) in 5 seconds is probably not working, or very not smooth :sweat_smile:
Some folks use Hue bridge for those fx.
But a wake-up light is doable, like from 0 to 1 in 45 mins using 45 steps.
The app ‘Chronograph’ can do this (along with timers and stopwatches), or the app ‘Transitions’

• I have my desktop PC, monitors, printer and amplifier connected to a Greenwave 6 node power node. I want to switch it off only if the desktop is switched off (so using for example less than 20 Watt). Is that possible?

Yes
In the app store, you can view the available flow cards for devices.

1 Like

It depends on your model ofc, but Justin is busy releasing a proper app for roborock

1 Like

The native apps are not a PWA implementation, they were built separately and way before the current web app was available. The web app is newer and shares a lot of similarities, but has more options in some parts and (as it’s still in development) less on others. Athom seems to be heading towards a PWA with it though.

The web app is similar for normal use, has access to insights and homeyscript, the native app has not. The flow editor is better in web i.m.o., so is the device overview. However, the web app still lacks in settings, energy and at some points is a slightly bit less touch friendly (but remember - it is still in beta).

If you use the web app across devices, it will behave just fine on all of them, but it is not optimized for phone.

2 Likes

Thank you for your extensive reply! I will strip some parts and respond with some follow up questions here and there…

Great!

Nice! That way, I can trigger stuff from the car using the built in web browser and I don’t need to touch my phone

Good to know!

That’s what I meant with “type” it is not the sheer number of apps, it differs per app how much it affects the system.

That’s good to know! It does however raise another question that I haven’t asked yet. Perhaps this is also a Domoticz only issue…
For Domoticz I had written a script to switch on a light bulb if movement was detected. That went south quickly! It started switching on the light every few milliseconds the motion sensor was “on” (so movement was detected). Then I added to only switch on the light in case movement was detected AND the light was currently off. I am sure you can do stuff like that with Homey as well, but the thing was: I noticed the issue by examining the log. Can I examine the log like that as well in Homey?

The current interface is through Domoticz (the one I want to get rid of :slight_smile: )The P1 cable is split. One end goes into the Toon interface, the other end goes into the USB stick connected to the machine running Domoticz. I’m pretty sure the Homey Toon app will also be able to get these values. I’ll figure that out.

Yeah, I was planning on doing that. So basically: everything built on the Tuya platform is controlled by the Tuya app on the phone only and then I use the Homey Tuya app to create that bridge.
I don’t mind that some Chinese Tuya dude may be able to watch me switch on the lights. That paranoia is one of the reasons for me to move away from Domoticz. The community seems filled with “wappies”. But that is a different discussion…let’s steer away from that :wink:

There are sufficient options. That’s all I need to know for now.

Great to see, I will most likely just have to work with it!

Thanks, will look into it!

That’s good to know. All my current Z-Wave power plugs have power metering. That availability was implied :wink:

Just read somewhere that this is done basically the same way in Homey; by creating a virtual device that is either on or off indicating the scene being enabled or disabled.

Yes, in that case you start working with the device class. I can do that. And then in one script you can always loop through stuff. This is the level of programming that I like and can do.

Will look into that as well.

Yes, I’ve found those and I noticed: “The power changed” wasn’t sure if you can also check for a specific value.

Seems to be pretty much ok!

Thank you for all your replies! I think I got everything covered now.
Nice to have would be the central ventilation.

And of course there is the Zigbee limit I was not aware of :frowning:

1 Like

You’re welcome Rudi!

That should work.

Ah I see.
To be sure you can ask the community how much MB’ certain apps use @ their Homey.
But as you can see, many apps stay below 10MB’s.
Athom states in general an app uses around 15MB’s.
Some apps tend to grow and grow, for these you can easily restart them automatically via a flow, at a convenient time (which is not always while you try to sleep :wink: )

You can use zones for that. Or timers. Some aqara and tuya sensors “pause” for one minute after a motion detection.
To view what your flows are or aren’t doing, I add a Papertrails log card to every THEN and, if used, THEN ELSE action.
This can be done in one go luckily (in Dutch).
(There’s sadly no user viewable Homey log. Only Athom can view it when you send a “diagnostic report” at their request).
Also the phone app device timeline shows what / who switched a device, which I already mentioned.

Looks promising:

You could consider to connect your domotica Wifi to the guest network, or a dedicated vlan. If ‘they’ might want to check for interesting stuff on your network, it’s at least a lot more difficult :crazy_face:

If it has a 3 position switch, there are solutions available using a 2-gang or 3-gang relais.

Ah, yes, that isn’t shown. There’s mostly 1 (or more) variable/tag available you can use as a condition.
Like:
IF power has changed
AND power is below x (or equal to / above x)
THEN do x

Also new trigger cards are available. Like:
IF power is below x (or above x)
THEN do x

Difference:
-The first triggers every time as the power changed up or down, BUT only if it stays below x
-The latter only triggers once if the power drops below x.
It triggers again if power has been above x and then drops below x again.

Powermeasurement is only available for the first socket, in the past is was available for all sockets, maybe if you can find/use an old version of the app, it could be used.

1 Like

There’s 2 supported Tuya zigbee 3 and 4 socket powerstrips, but it also cannot switch individual sockets. No power measure option :see_no_evil:

That’s too bad. But still all six can be switched independently? Does that one socket then only measure the one socket or is it aggregated?

The flowcards only say “device turned on” and “device turned off”
So unfortunately no switching of individual sockets.

Kudos to you Peter for taking the time for such helpful replies to Rudi’s post

Rudi - if you get stuck implementing an integration on Homey you can always leave a minimal Domoticz install running and publish the info to MQTT and then read that into Homey, probably providing control back to Domoticz too. That way you can tread water until a suitable Homey integration appears.

1 Like

I’m running both Domoticz and Homey.
Using Homey for communication with Google Home and zwave.
For communication between Domoticz and Homey I use webhooks where needed.
Running this combo for several years now.

Yes,The Greenwave sockets can be switched on/off independendly, the power measurement is only done on the first socket.
Peter is talking about the Tuya powerstrips.

Nope, b/c Tuya doesn’t have power measurement as I mentioned.

I don’t own a Greenwave, but I posted the available flow cards already. There’s no separate socket 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 flow card. Just “device on/off”.
But maybe it’s not a realistic picture?
I believe you if it’s possible to switch all sockets individually😉
It’s just peculiar the app page keeps it hidden.

Every socket of the power brick will be their own “device” inside Homey, so I you’ll get 6 (maybe even 7 counting the zwave chip) different entities, which is why there is only on/off.

But indeed they removed the power reading from each separate socket, I believe there is only a aggregate one now, they removed reach power reading because of the amount of data causing issues for some users if they put the polling rate too low, and didn’t want to bother anymore.

I do have 2 of them, using them every day, so trust my comments.

1 Like