Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

New version published

Version: 0.2.7 Beta

• Added Chime functionality (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added Flow cards to activate Siren manually (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added Flow cards to activate Chime manually (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added support for Contact Sensor V2
  • Added support for Outdoor Contact Sensor
  • Added preliminary support for Motion Sensor V2

If you have a Ring Doorbell connected to your Homey you can now use your Keypad as a Chime without the need of any flows! Please select the desired Chime sound in the devices settings.

If you don’t have a Ring Doorbell you can still use your Keypad(s) as a chime, just use the flowcard to play the sound you like!

This version also adds support for the Contact Sensor V2 and the Outdoor Contact sensor, unfortunately no correct images for inclusion yet, they will follow.

And lastly; preliminary support for the Motion Sensor V2. Unfortunately I don’t have this sensor so I can’t test if this works correctly. If you have such a sensor, please add it and report back if it works.

Hi Danee ,

When i posted the previous reply i got a message ring security updated , I immediately tried the cards but I got a this.soundChime is not a function error while testing the flow.

Is this a bug on your side or do I need to re-add the keypad or something ?
Tried to reboot the ring security app but that wasn’t it :slight_smile:

Oeps, my mistake.

I wrote the code for the flow cards a while back and removed/remarked it in previous release to focus on other functionality. I forgot to remove the remark on the actual code. Just fixed it and published a new version, please update again!

Probably missing something, but here we go. When activating/playing the chime or the burglar alarm both are not really loud. Chime volume is 5. Burglar alarm is set to 10? Chime like guitar riff is bearly audible. Hope there is something I’m missing… I must say I like the added features. Keeps getting better…thanks.

Hi Floris,

Which Keypad version are we talking about here? In my experience the volume of the Siren and Chime is pretty loud for both versions although the Chime volume is not as loud as a Ring Chime device.
How are you activating the Chime, are you using the Ring and Heimdall integration or are you using a flow card. Same question for the Siren, integration or flow card?

Ah, my bad. I have the V2 version. And trigger is via flow at the moment. Though I’ve tested the alarm through Heimdall in the past and had same result.

Strange, it should definately be able to create quite some noise. Have tried using a lower volume and after that selecting a higher volume again?
How is the speech volume?

I wonder if you’re having a faulty unit. You could try contacting Ring and tell them the sound isn’t audible, in my experience they’re very easy with replacing a unit.

1 Like

I had similar problems, but today I ticked logging, of Ring Keypad, in the Heimall app. Then everythimg worked on the Keypad, without problems.

I haven’t had any big issues since i bought the ring keypad v1. I believe the main difference between the v1 and v2 is that v1 is unsecured. I have had some minor issues a few times but its most likely due to a IKEA “sparsnäs” (device for power measurement) that i believe is running on the same frequenze as zwave and is located 1m from the keypad (forgot i had it in my fusebox). I pulled the cord on that device one week ago and since then i havent had any issues at all but thanks for the advice with logging, i will try doing this aswell :slight_smile:

Hi, are the version two of both the contact sensor and motion sensor supported now? I only see the motion sensor on the app site pictured, but In the change log it also says motion sensor v2. Is there any hope for the outdoor sirene?

The support for Motion Sensor v2 is available in the test version:

I have no plans for adding the Outdoor Sirene. I don’t have the device so I can’t test it and Ring is behind on publishing information so writing a driver for it is a bit difficult.

Awesome news on v2 of the contact and motion sensor!

Is there any way I can help with the Sirene? I do have it, but if I am to install some kind of dev version of the app, I really need a step-by-step guide :slight_smile:

One last question, what is the main reason for adding the v2 keypad (assuming I am able to get it to work without all the problems people are experiencing with it)? Basically to be able to turn on and off the alarm motion and contact alarms in a physical way (in addition to via automation)?

I don’t trust my Homey Pro right now (to unstable) enough to actually let it handle the alarm system, but when the new version arrives for Christmas, I am definitely setting up some alarm automations!!

Well, if you have the siren, it can be of help to just add it to Homey, just select any device from the Ring Security app. The device will be added as a Generic Z-Wave device and will do nothing, but in the devices advanced settings some useful information will be shown such as the Device ID, ProductID and Product Type ID. Please make a screenshot of that information and publish it here. (no promises though!)

The reason for adding the V2 keypad (and also V1) is basically the whole reason I wrote this app, to be able to use a real Alarm Keypad with Heimdall. Have a look at it and play around so you’re all set when your new Homey Pro arrives!

1 Like

Hi!
Just got my ring Keypad v2 and installed it. I have however some trouble with the integration to heimdall. The keypad is connected and reachable, but it seems like heimdall is not finding it. I can see it under devices in heimdall, but “last seen” is not updating. Got it to work maybe 2 times and after that it stopped working.

Tried to reinstall both the apps, removed the ring keypad and added it again without success. The keypad is also 100% charged. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Johan,

Did you follow all the steps in the post Ring Keypad and Heimdall integration?

The keypad is shown in Heimdalls device overview for its Tamper Alarm functionality and only that, it has nothing to do with the Keypad functionality. The last seen is retrieved from Homey but unfortunately isn’t always correct but that doesn’t influence the functionality.

Also, Heimdall doesn’t look for the device. When you enter a code on your keypad and press any of the arming keys that information is send over Z-Wave to Homey. The Ring Security app will get that information from Homey and will next send that information to the API of Heimdall. Heimdall will check the received PIN against it’s user database and will set the desired Surveillance Mode and send a success reply to the API request or it will just send an error reply to the API request when the PIN entered is not found. (If you’re wondering: sending PIN’s is rate limited)
The Ring Security app will send reply to Homey to send over Z-Wave to the keypad based on Heimdalls reply.

To get a better idea of where it goes wrong, can you please do the following:

• Stop and start the Heimdall app
  • Stop and start the Ring Security app
  • Wait a couple of minutes (starting the app may take some time, depending on the number of devices on Homey)
  • Now type a valid PIN on the keypad and select an arming mode
  • Now type a invalid PIN on the keypad and select an arming mode
  • Send me a diagnostic report from Heimdall
  • Send me a diagnostic report from Ring Security
  • Post the results of your test here

Thanks for explaining some of the points on how it works :slight_smile:

I’ve tested the things you asked me for and it did work for a while after I stopped and started the apps, Got logs in heimdall and the keypad responded normally.
But then I left it and just came home and now it have stopped working again. Nothings happens in heimdall when entering my code. I’ve read some of the other posts about the v2 and it seems that I have similar issues, but don’t really now if the keypad freezes. Because I can reach when sending commands via the developer website. I’ve also sent you diagnostic reports.

Thanks for your time!

Hi Johan,

I’ve had a look at the logs and from the Ring Security app perspective everything looks ok while you’re testing from ~12:12 until ~13:17. After that nothing happens until 22:12 where is seems you’re changing settings on the Keypad and again around 22:23. at that point Ring Security receives an error from Homey, a timeout at Remote Process, most likely Homeys Z-Wave driver.

So, it seems to me there is a Z-wave problem. I am curious however if the app was still running after the error occurred. I assume it did as the diagnostic report was manually sent.

• What happens ifs you just use the keypad and don’t try to change settings?
  • I also see you entered a PIN followed by the ENTER key on the keypad. Was this for testing or do you do this more often? (Others have reported problems after doing this)

Thanks for the update.

That sounds correct, I tested it before I went to work(worked fine then), that was after I stopped and started the apps. Then I came back home at 22.00 and tried it, but it didn’t respond then.

Yes, the apps was running.

I just tested it again and could then set it to disarm and back to partially armed. But then after that there are no response when trying to disarm it again. The keypad shows that it’s armed, but cannot change the status again.

That’s correct, just wanted to try it to see if I get the same issue as others when using enter.

Also while the issue is present now i can still reach it when sending commands via developer website. Also no TX errors

Well, I’m afraid it’s something going wrong in your Z-Wave network. The Ring Security app can only act on information send to it by Homey, the actual Z-Wave communication is all handled by Homey.