Ring Doorbell V2

Also broken here :frowning: I hope the dev can fix thisā€¦ if not i have to buy another doorbell xD

Mine is broken and when I disabled the app the emails stopped coming in. Very sad as it was working really well with PiPup putting a picture on my TV and a picture in the notification bar of my phone when motion was detected.
I hope the dev can find the enthusiasm to update it but as he doesnā€™t have a Ring doorbell anymore I can understand his reluctance as itā€™s a lot of work in his spare time with no reward. (and difficult to test)

Thatā€™s the place to be to ask Dennie if heā€™s willing to have a look at it :slight_smile:

I think it will stay broken until the two-factor authentication gets added to the app.

I just re-enabled the app and everything is working again :confused:
Makes me wonder if part of the problem is the number of requests made by the app causes Ring to temporarily block it?
Obviously if 2FA becomes mandatory then this is irrelevant.

I was receiving emails telling me my account wanted to login and presenting me a activation code. I now logged onto the ring.com site but 2FA is still disabled and iā€™m not forced to turn it on. I reset my password and reauthorized the ring app. Letā€™s see what happens.

All account logins using supported Ring applications and partner integrations will remain uninterrupted during mandatory 2SV implementation ā€“ provided you can access this email address during login and enter the OTP when prompted

Just installed the ring doorbell and directly tested this app on homey. I wasnā€™t able to authorize the ring doorbell and received (total of 15) emails that someone tries to log in to my ring.
Ended up with a blocked account for 24 hours!!! Iā€™m not able to log in, so Iā€™m fact the ring doorbell is useless for the upcoming 24h

to step verification succs. You are experiencing problems with this.
Ring forces you to use this

just got an e-mail that of next week i be forced to use to steps ver.

Currently using the Ring in combination with IFTTT. Works pretty well tbh! Most of the time no delay or very minimal (<1-2sec)!
Ofcourse I prefer a local (non internet/IFTTT) app on homey, but this is a good temporarily solution.

Testing the IFTTT also with Ring now, mostly had some delay with the ā€œdirectā€ Ring app. Itā€™s not local, it uses the API from ring.com so thatā€™s not really a difference. Only ā€œdownsideā€ is that the Ring Doorbell isnā€™t visible in the Homey app and yeah the snapshots are missing, maybe somebody has this working on IFTTT?

Good news, I am really close in a MFA supporting version using authorization tokes. This also means that the app no longer has to store you credentials. Giving it a polish now and do a pull request for it later tonight.

Pull request has been created. If you do the cli you can grab the new version from https://github.com/kaohlive/com.ring

6 Likes

great work

does it support ring door view cam now as well?

No sorry, since I do not have such a device I can not do much more than do a blind add.
If you are willing to test drive it, ill give it a go next week.

Do we need to re-add the devices?

So you need to go through the add device wizard to re authenticate the app.
Other than that it might not be needed. But sometimes Homey looses the connection for a device and you have to anyway.
It might be needed to retract authentication first if that button is available before starting the add device wizard. In that wizard I can handle the more steps that we need, so thatā€™s why its there. From the settings its more work.

Ok cheers. Gonna give it a go later this day.

Noticed it had a timeout issue on the authentication. Just updated it with a potential fix for that.
After an X time the acces token expires and I thought the code would solve that, but it seems it didnt. So uncommented a timer that I now feel handles that and I commented :wink:
So lets give this one a try.

Steps to validate, using the new device wizard asks you to authenticate the app again after x amount of time. Restarting the app removes that step from the wizard again. In that state it can not get device updates and misses events.

sorry for late answear

how can i help out to check the door view?

i have added it with the app, but canā€™t use 2fa