Ring Doorbell Autorisation button not working

You are a pure legend! Thank you very much Adrian, my Ring works again.

P.S. You have to give us a link to donate.

2 Likes

Ad, you Rock!
And while weā€™re on the subject https://youtu.be/evA-R9OS-Vo

1 Like

Hey Adrian, did you just adjusted the English version?

I only added 1 message to the settings screen for the Verification code. I must admit I forgot to check the other language file. Does it cause a problem?
If you have the translation I can add that to the fork.

Can any one translate ā€œAuthentication Code from emailā€ in to dutch for me?

Authenticatiecode van e-mail

1 Like

Great work Adrian, thx now It works again :partying_face::+1:

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried it but it looks like https://github.com/kaohlive/com.ring is a more polished version than my hack.

I donā€™t no why but i am not able to connect to my Ring account. I entered the correct email and password but get the faultcode 401 all the timeā€¦

After a 50 times orso it works :crazy_face:

Updated via CLI method but do I need to re-add my devices. I see the 2FA area to include code but the authentication button is greyed out when all info is inputted.

@gy_1977 Which repo are you using?
https://github.com/AdyRock/com.ring or https://github.com/kaohlive/com.ring?

@Adrian_Rockall: By the way, thank you verry much for the improvement of the app :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m using your repo @Adrian_Rockall

Did it allow you to Authenticate once and show the error 402?
Have you got a code back?
Does it show any errors near the password field?

Once you have entered the 2FA code the screen should change to the revoke button.

I made an edit to my post, after many timeā€™s of retry it finally works. :+1:

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to reply to @gy_1977 with those question lol.

When will this app be in Homey to install it from just there from all apps ?

The original dev has stopped supporting the app as he no longer has a Ring product and is disheartened by all the negative reactions from users when it stops working because Ring have made breaking changes to the unofficial API.
So either someone has to take it over or Athom has to adopt it before it can be republished. So there is a possibility that it will not return to the app store.
It is not an easy task to take on the responsibility of keeping an unofficial interface going as we never know if the rules will change again.

But here it says there is a working version for homey at GitHub. So why it is not build to an app for Homey, so we can officially install it from there ? Is that to hard ? Although the GitHub version seems to work as an app in homey. So why not put it in as official app in there as well ? I am confused about this.

Really simple, this and the previous versions where litterely a hack (reverse engineered) that can be stopped by ring at any time.

Even if not broken fully, as it is an hack, it requires constant updates to keep it working, which needs people that update the app for this, constantly, people with time, the knowledge and the willingness of wanting to update and donā€™t care about the amount of flag gotten when it breaks again from the many users the app has.
I donā€™t know a lot of people that have time, and donā€™t care about the constant nagging of people, and still enjoy to update/fix/maintain the app.

1 Like

The process for an App to appear in the App store:
One or more users create the App code. This might be kept locally on their on PC / MAC or could be put into a public store, such as GitHub.
The advantage of GitHub is it allows multiple users to collaborate and fix bugs / add new features.

Once the App is ā€œworkingā€ it is submitted to Athom to be published in their store. Athom may accept or reject the submission.
If they accept then the user that submitted it becomes the owner of the App and is responsible for all future submissions. It is now possible for that use to transfer the ownership to someone that is willing to take on the responsibility.

So for the Ring App, this was originally created and submitted by Dennie de Groot, a user of both a Homey and a Ring product. Dennie spent a long time working out how to interface the two without having any help from Ring. In fact Ring donā€™t want other things interfacing to their products unless there is an agreement between them. But Ring will only talk to the big companies behind major products and just ignore individual users.
Dennie no longer has a Ring product so any maintenance for the App is virtually impossible for him as he has no way to test and debug new code. As Ring have changed the rules about how to interface to their products, and still not published any documentation about it, the code had to be updated for it to continue to work. Dennie had no way to do that so he requested that the App should be removed from the store.

The versions on GitHub (there are now 2 to choose from) are copies of Dennieā€™s original work that have been modified to work with the new Ring interface, so they are Apps for Homey but there is no entry for them the store.

The options to get it back into the store are:

1. Dennie merges the changes back into his original code and submits it to Athom. That would mean that Dennie is still responsible for the App but he does not feel he can continue with that. I think that is understandable as a lot of users were not very nice to him when Ring broke all his hard work.
  2. Another user takes on the responsibility and submits the modified App to Athom. Under the circumstances, there is a great reluctance to do this at the moment.
  3. Athom takes the official route with Ring and publishes an App.

I hope that clears up any confusion over the current situation.

4 Likes