Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey

Previous test version promoted to stable

Version: 2.10.3

(all changes since previous stable version 2.3.5)

• App upgraded to SDK3
  • Added additional translations
  • Improved device pair function
  • Improved device repair function
  • Improved status view
  • Improved handling authentication failures1
  • Set devices unavailable when Homey is not authenticated at Ring

Compatibility with Homey Pro Early 2023 has been checked, all seems to be working as is on the older Homeys except the flow card to retrieve a snapshot. This is due to a bug in the Homey Pro Early 2023 firmware and for Athom to fix. If you are hit by this bug, please report it at Athom to get it more priority to get it fixed.

1 Many improvements are made in the handling of authentication failures and it’s also more visible to the user as the Ring devices are made unavailable when authentication at Ring is lost

I am using version 2.10.5 now with my Ring 2 Doorbell, and for me there is a lot of improvement!
First of all, with movement enabled, the general alarm is picked up well by Homey. And second, it seems to me that the app is much faster now. When there is a general alarm, i get almost instantly a notification through my Google home mini speaker. This is much faster than with the “old” app.

The only thing we have to wait for is showing the snapshot. That is still not working…

Hi Rob,

Thanks for noticing! 2.10.5 is a new test version in which I used a new method to connect to the Ring API which enabled me to receive push notifications from Ring on motion and ring events. The old communication method used a polling mechanism where it checked the status every 5 seconds, hence the delay.

The working or not working of a snapshot depends on quite some factors, most important to know is that for Doorbells having a battery (even when connected to constant power) it is not possible to grab a snapshot when the Doorbell is recording.
Also, on Homey Pro Early 2023 the function to grab a snapshot is not working, this is due to changes in the firmware for which Athom has not yet communicated a solution.

Lastly, the function to grab a screenshot is still using the old communication method which is a bit flaky. I hope rewriting that to the new communication method will also show some improvements.

Stay tuned for more improvements to the app!

2 Likes

New test version published

Test version: 2.10.6

• New communication method with Ring API
  • Minor fix in handling snapshot errors

This version uses a new method to communicate with the Ring API. Using this version enables using pushmessages for motion and ring events instead of polling which was used in the old communication method. Most functionality in the app has been rewritten to use this new communication method the rest will follow in a later stage. After that I plan to add some more functionality, please check out the roadmap

When no problems show up with this version it will be promoted to the stable release channel so anyone using the app can benefit from this new communication method.

2 Likes

It’s working again, thank you very much!!

Test version promoted to stable

Version: 2.10.6

• New communication method with Ring API
  • Minor fix in handling snapshot errors

This version uses a new method to communicate with the Ring API. Using this version enables using pushmessages for motion and ring events instead of polling which was used in the old communication method. Most functionality in the app has been rewritten to use this new communication method the rest will follow in a later stage. After that I plan to add some more functionality, please check out the roadmap

1 Like

Hello, thanks for the great work. I did not find any clue in the roadmap, still it looks like there is an issue with the “modes” in ring.
I am using the mode changes to trigger some flows and since last version I get an “unknown location” error. I tried (with no luck) to change the location name in ring…
Thanks for your help

Besides testing I actually didn’t do anything with modes since I took over the app and in fact I’ve never used that part of the app myself.
Could you please post a screenshot of your flow and explain how the error is shown?
Could you please stop and start the app, next change the mode and next send a Diagnostics Report from the app.

Thanks for your quick answer.
Here is a screenshot. Sorry it’s in French, but do not hesitate shall you need any translation.
In fact the app does not allow mode changing. Do I need to change it in the ring app ?

“Maison” is the name of the location in the Ring app (not homey). It is prompted in the card location list as your app is authorized on the ring platform

I use the change mode in several flows and it allways works ok.

I’ve looked at the Diagnostics Report, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Could you try making a new flow, adding the same flow card and let me know what happens when it’s added, does it show any location information?
Could you also try this in a regular flow and share the result?
How many locations have you setup in your Ring account?

New version published

Version: 2.10.8

• Added setting to Cameras to enable/disable motion detection
  • Added setting to Cameras and Doorbells to configure the motion timeout
  • Added new App Store images
  • Added new device icons

In this version I’ve added the setting to enable or disable the motion detection to Ring Camera devices such as the Ring Doorbells have. I’ve also added a setting to the Doorbells and Camera’s so you can configure your desired motion timeout just like most dedicated motion sensors have.

I’ve also updated the App Store to some more recent versions of the Ring Chime and Ring Stick Up Camera series. The device icons are also replaced by more recent version, thanks to Ivo from Athom for creating them.

1 Like

Great btw the snapshot function is working……

RC72

Hi, yes sure.
Adding a mode card, the location is listed (I have only one location). I get the same error « Unknown location »

Indeed, I just checked this, firmware 10.0.0-rc.72 for Homey Pro Early 2023 seems to have fixed the problem that grabbing a screenshot wasn’t working.

It isn’t in the changeling, I’ll ask Emile about this.

Ok, thanks. I’m not yet sure how to troubleshoot this, I’ll think this over and get back to you.

Hi I have the same above mentioned problem with the modes. Since the update to .6. Tried creating a new flow that is triggered by the mode change. And then checks what is the current mode.
It both does not get triggered. But when manually testing the flow it can’t read what the current mode is.

Everything is connected however since I can still see all my camera’s.

Ok, so

• Triggering a flow on a mode change doesn’t work
  • Evaluating on a mode doesn’t work

What happens when you make a flow to set a mode? Does the action card also show ‘unknown location’?

@GregD @Romano_C are you capable of running an app from the cli as explained here: [HOW TO] CLI install method

Hi @DaneedeKruyff, I sent you a diagnostic report earlier this week just after somebody rang the doorbell. I have an “issue” where a flow is started twice when the general alarm went off:

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-06 om 17.28.10

I will add an extra push notification now to see if it’s just the timeline that is being duplicated or if it really is the flow itself. There’s no other flow with the same starter running.

PS: the response of the app is still way better than it was on the previous versions. I even hear my Homey before I hear my Chime now :smile:

Hi Didier,

I’ve checked your report, it shows just 3 ‘ding’ events as they are called by Ring and al 3 are on different days. When the ding event is received by the app the generic_alarm on the device is enabled which results in triggering the built in flowcard you use in the flow. I don’t understand how this flow can be triggered twice in short succesion because the flowcard should only trigger on a state change.

I think you should report this at Athom as this is a builtin flow trigger card.

I’ll rebuild it first with an advanced flow, it’s still the same flow as from the very beginning years ago. That’ll probably be what they are going to say anyway…
But it’s the correct trigger right?
Motion detection is also much faster, great job on the new communication method :clap: