Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey

New version published

Version 2.10.24

• Improved new ring-client-api

In this new app version an updated version of the ring-client-api is added. This does not yet fully fix the problem of not receiving notifications on Motion or Ring events but this does make it work longer then 24 hours after loggin at Ring or restart of the app after removing Homey from the authorised devices at Ring.
This will however not survive a restart of the Ring Doorbell an Cameras app.

When the app is restarted you will have to go through the following steps to get them working again:

• In the official Ring App, go to the Control Center. This can be reached from the main menu, under the Account section. See this article if you are having trouble finding it
  • Click on Authorized Client Devices
  • You will now see a list of authorized devices on your account. The devices created by this App will be listed as android devices, with names like:
    • Homey
    • Device name not found or Homey-Auth-token
  • Now only remove the Homey device
  • After removing the device please stop and start the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey
  • Notifications should now be working :crossed_fingers: :rocket:

Finally, there is some good news in regards to fixing the problem. It seems the root cause of the problem is discovered, how to fix it is now being looked into.

2 Likes

The loosing of the connection is exactly the problem that we’re all facing now.
Please make sure you update the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey to the latest version just published.
Next, remove the Homey entries from the Authorised Client Devices and stop and start the app as described above.
Next try loggin on again, please note that some special characters are not accepted by the app. If loggin on still fails please send a Diagnostics Report after a failed attempt.

1 Like

It’s weird, my general alarms keep working fine, so when someone rings the door all flows run, but the motion alarm stopped working some time ago.
I’m not going to risk the ‘fix’ of removing the devices for now, maybe when everything stops working I’ll have to do it.
The problem is that I reboot my Homey every week to avoid performance issues, so I’d have to redo the fix every week…

Well, if it’s working for you now I’d suggest you leave it like it is. A small percentage of users isn’t affected by this bug (unluckily for us the main developer of the ring-client-api too :wink: ) and it’s totally unclear why.
But I have a good hope the issue will be fixed, impossible to give an expected time of arrival though.

1 Like

Hi Danee, I have 1 chime but am also a guest on my parents in laws ring account to help them set everything up… I have a chime 2nd gen (not pro) and did a factory rest on Homey Pro (2023) to rule everything out, still no sound from my Ring Chime with the flowcard, only when someone rings the bell

I guess being a guest users somewhere else could be related, I will look into it.
Do you have experience with or are you able to run an app from the CLI?
([HOW TO] CLI install method)

New test version published

Version 2.10.25

• Improved new ring-client-api

This version fixes the last problem with the notifications not being send longer than 24 hours after logging on at Ring, it not surviving a restart of the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app.

After installing this version you will have to once more go through these steps, but now for the last time*.

• In the official Ring App, go to the Control Center. This can be reached from the main menu, under the Account section. See this article if you are having trouble finding it
  • You will now see a list of authorized devices on your account. The devices created by this App will be listed as android devices, with names like:
    • Homey
  • Remove all devices with names like above (Device name not found may be in your own language!)
  • After removing the devices please stop and start the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey
  • Now open any of your Ring devices in the Homey app and click the Try to Repair button to loggin at Ring.
  • Now you’ll have to wait a bit, while everything is setup right now there’s a delay before notifications actually start working again, wait at least a minute or 5. If after that time notifications are still not received, restart the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app once more.

* This version is published as a test version. The reason I published this as a test version is because the ring-client-api module is published as a beta version and may still change before going final. It is possible that the final version of the ring-client-api module requires to once more delete the authorised devices. In regards to stability of this version; I’ve been running this version a couple of days now on several Homeys without any problems.

2 Likes

Installed and working
I will keep you informed if anything went wrong…
Thank you very much for your effort :+1:

2 Likes

How do you get to the test version? I’ve never installed a test app before.

Go to the app in the Homey appstore. On the bottom you see Changelog, click on that. There you will see version 2.10.25 with the mark “test”.
Click on “test” and you will get to this test version.

1 Like

You can also go to the app store, edit url and add test at the end. Will work for most/all apps that have test verions

2 Likes

Installed it this morning and now I’m getting motion alerts again, so for me it seems solved.
Thanks for all the work you’re putting into this! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New version published

Version 2.10.26

• Repaired receiving of notifications after Ring API change.

Having not received any reports of problems nor any errors in the Developer Tools from version 2.10.25 I’ve decided to no longer wait until the final version of the new ring-client-api with the fix for not receiving notifications is published and let everyone benefit from the fixes in version 2.10.25.

This new version is exactly the same as the previous test version, I’ve just removed some additional logging I had put in place for easier troubleshooting in case the test version contained some bug.

To get, and keep notifications coming in all users that previously weren’t using the test version 2.10.25 need to perform the steps below:

• Homey
  • Remove all devices with names like above (Device name not found may be in your own language!)
  • After removing the devices please stop and start the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app on your Homey
  • Now open any of your Ring devices in the Homey app and click the Try to Repair button to loggin at Ring.
  • Now you’ll have to wait a bit, while everything is setup right now there’s a delay before notifications actually start working again, wait at least a minute or 5. If after that time notifications are still not received, restart the Ring Doorbell and Cameras app once more.
6 Likes

Fantastic. Thanks Danee, looks good so far. For some reason I never got the option to Repair so I had to uninstall the App and reinstall. It then took a Homey restart to make the Ring App visible as an option when adding devices, even though I could see it in the installed Apps list. Maybe I had got my system in some weird state. Still, all worked out in the end.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, and donation, much appreciated!
Glad you got it working!

Could you add support to Ring Mailbox Sensor please?

It is using Ring Plug-In Adapter (2nd generation).

Thanks,

LK

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Mailbox-Sensor-Black/dp/B08FBK3YVX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OGEARPS8Z9JR&keywords=ring+mailbox+sensor&qid=1686421909&sprefix=ring+mailbox%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C9NFVS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi LK,

No, the focus of this app is for the Ring Doorbell and Cameras devices. Next to that, it is very hard to add a device to the app which I have no acces too and that particular device is not available in the Netherlands, so that’s another requirement for me to add a device to the app, next to having an incentive to do so.
I had hoped to receive some donations for this app to at least be able to cover the cost of the devices I’ve bought to write support for but until now the balance is still very negative so I’m a bit reluctant of promising support for new devices.

You made me feel bad about myself :smirk: Have a beer on me :wink:

1 Like

I have a small problem: When there is a person in the picture, it does not take a snap picture (it creates a blank image).
When I stand in front of the camera and reload the image in the app, it generates a blank image.
When I leave the zone and relod again, it takes a snapshot of the surroundings.

Could it be a privacy setting I can’t find?

What type of Doorbell do you have?

Because it may be a limitation of your doorbell, one of the things that Ring does not include in their advertising is the snapshot limitations of their battery cameras. These cameras (even when plugged in to a power source) are unable to take a snapshot while video is being recorded.