Presence sensing with Apple iPhone

Presence sensing is NOT working on my son’s iPhone. I believe it is an iPhone 12, maybe 13. I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I’ve searched Google and YouTube, I’ve searched this forum and found no solution. I emailed support@athom.com and got a response saying:
“You have tried to send an email directly to a support email address of ours, probably to try to create a new support request. Unfortunately, this is not the correct way to get in touch with our support team, so no support ticket is created at this moment.
To get support for your question, please use our Knowledge Base via https://support.homey.app. It provides a whole host of information as well as a structured contact form in case you still have questions or issues, which helps our support team help everyone better.”
So I, of course, tried the link mentioned in the email and found no articles addressing my issue. Before trying all of this, I checked his location settings, both on the iOS settings and in the app on his phone. I’ve also checked to make sure the Homey app has permission to run in the background on his phone. His phone even did an iOS update last night and that still has not solved the issue. I have also changes his role in Homey (Under Settings > Family & Guests) to “Manager”, then back to “Resident” and even “Guest” than eventually back to “Resident” and that has not helped. Homey will just simply not recognize his geo-location. What am I missing here?! It has to be something simply I’m over-looking. Anybody have any ideas? This is limiting a lot of my automations. (I have a hard time calling them “Flows”. Lol)

Thanks!

And it does work for other iPhones in your household?

As an alternative (although I’m quite sure someone will figure out why this is not working), you could try an app like Locative or Owntracks.

Hi Kenneth and welcome!

You can use these ways to contact Athom support::
– via the link in the “Welcome to the forum!” topic par. #10
– via the App Store: Support → Need Assistance?

Then select your Homey:

Scroll down to Platform and select Mobile:

Yes, thank you very much for pointing that out. A couple of hours after posting here, I decided to try the support page again with the feeling I may have missed something. I was able to fumble my way through the steps and get to where I can submit a support ticket. In fact, Athom just responded early this morning (My time) with something to try. Well, I’m happy to report it worked!! I will post the response from Athom here so others can try this if need be.

Athom response:

"Thank you for reaching out to our support and I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues with presence detection on your iPhone at the moment.

Could you please try the following?

Please open the Home screen in the Homey app on your son’s iPhone, tap on his Avatar (top right of the screen) and select My Homeys. Please select your current Homey/Homey Pro again.

Can you please let me know if this solved the issue and the presence functionality is functioning correctly again on your son’s iPhone?

Thank you for your cooperation!

Best Regards,

Dennis

Athom Support"

When performing these steps, nothing really definitive happened showing a change had been made, aside from a pop-up notification asking for permission to send notifications, which I granted. But as soon as my son left the house, his location changed to “Away”. Good enough for me!

Thank you to everyone for holding my hand with this. I’m still fairly new to the smarthome world, and even newer to Homey, but so far it is my new obsession. :grin:

1 Like

His phone is the only iPhone. My wife and I have Samsungs and we have not had a problem. It looks like we’ve got the problem solved now though. I just posted a reply here with the suggested fix from Athom.

1 Like