Motion Sensor in bathroom

Hi guys, I’m facing a problem here with my motion sensor. I’m using 2 motion sensors in the bathroom, as the 1st motion sensor cannot detect any motion through my shower screen. So I placed the 2nd motion sensor over my shower screen. It works nicely for a couple of days, but now it can’t detect any motion anymore. Not sure because of the steam or moisture seep in.

Anyone manage to solve this issue or is there any other brand of sensor that is waterproof?

I’m using aqara sensor btw…

Cannot imagine it is a water problem, but maybe it is. Have you checked the developerspage if it has a good mesh? Philips Hue has a outdoor sensor if water is the problem.

I think so. PIR sensors are pretty sensitive, and the Aqara sensors are far from water/steam proof.

Sorry what do u mean by a good mesh?

When you go to the developerspage you get a menu. Choose Zigbee. Now you can see how your device is routed towarts Homey. Developerspage Mesh is the way Homey communicates. From device to device to device. Every non battery opperated device is able to extend your mesh. We call these non battery devices extenders. So you need extenders to expand your mesh.

Hmm it’s not a range issue as I have device further than this and it works seamlessly.

That leaves what @robertklep implies that your sensor is not water/steam proof.

For two years now, I’m using a Philips Hue (indoor) motion sensor in my bathroom. Sometimes I take a loooooong shower where I set the water temperature higher and higher, which will leave the bathroom full of steam. The motion sensor has never ever failed on me, so I think this sensor is worth your try.

Thanks for the recommendation!

If you looking for something a little more robust - perhaps the philips hue OUTDOOR sensor might be an even better fit.

Can I confirm this is the product u r using?

https://m.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Mobile/Goods/Goods.aspx?goodscode=611736724&banner_no=1305330

Yes, that’s the one!

1 Like

I heave a xiaomi temp. sensor above the shower to messure the humidity to turn on the ventilation. In the flow that turn off the lights in the bathroom i heave a condition in the AND column that the ventilation must be off. It works realy great en never be in the dark under the shower :relaxed:

I have an Aqara human motion sensor outside for month’s now, still working fine.

I think mine was damaged by the steam

I’m using an aqara motion sensor placed under the vanity in the toilet pointed at the shower screen and no issue detecting me when showering. I’m in Singapore so I’m assuming we have similar sized toilet and screens. For my master toilet I’m using a Neo coolcam pir also no issues.

How Long is your countdown that you set to turn off your lights? You could do with just one sensor but set your countdown a bit longer…

That’s very strange. my first aqara can’t seem to detect me through the shower screen. I will try placing it at the other side of the shower screen which is also where my vanity is located and if it works. And yes I tried to play around with the counter already and it’s still the same. Anyway thanks for the tips!

PIR sensor. (Passive InfraRed sensor) A device used to detect motion by receiving infrared radiation. When a person walks past the sensor, it detects a rapid change of infrared energy and sends a signal.

Note: Glass is not transparent to infrared light. This means that infrared light cannot pass through glass .

I am looking at a similar problem, and will likely place the PIR in the ceiling pointing down perpendicular to the corner of the glass. Just need to check to ensure that the angle of the sensor will allow it to pick up movement in and out of the shower.

Otherwise might have to use some other solution.