Looking for ideas to detect a lock is locked?

I have a bifold door which I know when it’s shut, but it’s not obvious whether it’s locked or not, and certain family members have forgotten in the past.

There is quite a lot of space behind the locking plate so was thinking a push to close switch might work somehow or even a contact sensor if I could somehow make the lock magnetic, but honestly I don’t want to mess around too much with the literal home security!

Anyone done something similar and got any ideas?

Thanks

I am planning to use this reed switch

And wire it to this door sensor instead of its internal reed switch:

And instead of the magnet that comes with it I want to use a mini super magnet (2-3 mm) glued to the deadbolt, or fitted inside a small hole I’ll drill for it.

1 Like

Just buy a NUKI that locks your door at night and regularly, or whenever you want on demand :wink: No actually I don’t think it works with a bifold door :-/
Another idea for a sensor: maybe a STRIPS Guard from Sensative would be thin enough?

1 Like

Sensative strips might well work, but man they’re pricey. If they lasted the stated 10 years then I think they’d be good value but most reports seem to indicate they’re 1.5-2 years

I think something I can change battery in would be best, so might go back to trying the ‘hacking’ option with some other device

Sensative… i think, they are to big to fit into tumbler-hole :wink: Also, there is still problem with sensing element ( to make tumbler magnetic). Also… may-be this is just onetime and with me thing, but had a strip, which one was not properly glued together.
About the solution; if this was my door and lock, i’d first check some sensor with possibility to connect external switch and then connect contacts to edge/bottom of hole with some flexible contacts (tumbler shorts the contacts).
Another possibility - yes, use of magentic(hall) sensor may be little bit more durable, but how to make tumbler magnetic is the good question (add a magnet… i think, this joint becomes quite fragile). May-be there is no need for extra magnet, as any metallic object may be a little bit magnetic, so… first just a test :wink:

Oh it doesn’t just need to go into the hole. The metal plate will come off so it can be stuck under the hole (as long as the plate goes back on!)
It looks like it might work apart from the other issues

Still leaning towards some other kind of sensor tho