LG WebOS better integration

Wow, Great.

Athom will love it😜!!

That’s what I’m thinking as well! :grimacing:

1 Like

Nice work Max. Still running the better WebOS app and it deserves to be in an app store :grin:

1 Like

Hi @MaxvandeLaar, did you put any effort in setting up an app to control an LG airco (controlled via the LG ThinQ app).
I’m just curious as I’m getting an LG airco soon :slight_smile:

Hi @Frank_Smeets, yes I did, however, not very much. The Homey Community Store had a much higher priority at the moment. I managed to reverse engineer the login but never got it really working great. My advice, if you want to remote control you AC and there are other options besides LG maybe reconsider. I know I will for my next Airco. Might still get an LG but at least need to do more research next time haha

Great job @MaxvandeLaar !!
Sadly I can’t use the app to turn on my LG 49LB870V running webOS 1.4.0.
I suppose the TV is to old to be triggered on with WOL.
My other TV the app works great with.

But is there an option to use the IR function to turn on the older TV without using another app?

@Kfk Haha that’s a pretty old tv. I always wanted to implement IR for these edge cases and you are the first one to actually ask for it. I will look into it, but I can’t promise it will arrive soon as the Homey Community Store is top priority at the moment. After I release a stable version of that, I will look into IR.

1 Like

@MaxvandeLaar and please keep us updated if you move to another brand later on. I will follow! :wink:

@Kfk Haha that’s nice to hear however that won’t be anytime soon though.

@Frank_Smeets To clarify, my LG airco is less than a year old so if an LG airco app is possible in Homey, I will most likely develop it at some point :wink:

1 Like

@MaxvandeLaar thx for your response. Hope you find some time :slight_smile:

How do I get this to control the TV? I currently have linked the TV to Google home (via Broadlink IR) and it is able to control volume, pause/resume and on/off, all without Homey.

However it can’t set source or forward or rewind. I would like to use Homey for this if it’s possible to bypass the IR remote and connect directly.

Hi @CyberMew, I don’t really follow your question. You can install this app via cli or Homey Community Store and control the tv with flows. The TV is controlled by the app via API (including on/off). You can see all possibilities here:

I’m getting this when adding tv as device. Any idea why?

Sorry for acting like every support center ever… is the tv turned on and connected to the same network?

What WebOS version is your tv running? WebOS 4 might not be fully working and newer TVs most likely stop supporting the used api at some point.

I am planning to buy a new LG. Why would the API stop?

Because of this http://thinqcloud.developer.lge.com/en/

I am under the impression that LG will drop support for the already deprecated ConnectSDK (which is used by my app) and move all their new TV’s and other appliances to Thinq. I have always bought LG tv’s as I liked the interface of WebOS, however, I also value (local) API access. LG is migrating away from this as I also have a LG Air-condition system which I can control from WiFi, however, it uses Thinq… I cannot access Thinq, there is no API documentation and it is actually access-only for third-party companies. This renders LG devices pretty useless for DIY home-automation and I would no longer buy LG devices to be honest.

Note, this is my own opinion/assessment of the current situation… experiences may vary :wink: and we have obviously no clue what LG does in the (near) future.

Hmm the idea of Thinq is good. The problem is that it’s not open to anyone. I guess Athom could apply. I don’t see any cost other then being allowed.

If athom would do that. The community could still build the app.

This SDK; is it still in the latest version? And technically, can you stop updates?

If Athom would apply, that would not help us (developers) in anyway. We need access to the api and documentation, however, we are not Athom employees thus we still won’t get the access required.

The ConnectSDK is still being updated https://github.com/ConnectSDK however the website http://www.connectsdk.com seems to be down since last time I checked. Evenmore… LG actually open sourced WebOS sometime ago, however, decided not to use the same WebOS for their TV’s :roll_eyes:(or maybe my TVs are to old…). I believe you can stop your TV from updating if you turn off auto updates, however I doubt LG will publish an update for WebOS 3.X that will break compatibility for this app. WebOS 4 is already only partially supported and that’s why I doubt the next gen TV and WebOS will have any support but only time will tell

I’m planning to buy a LG since it’s the only 48 inch OLED.

What is not supported in WebOS 4?

The most imported thing I care about is turning on or off.