LG acquires Athom

The issues that Homey has with Z-Wave (and also with Zigbee) are not because Athom is lacking resources, it’s because they focus on other things (usually the next shiny new thing). With the LG acquisition, and in particular porting “Homey OS” over to LG equipment (which is, according to Athom themselves, the main reason for the acquisition), I don’t see how there will be more incentive to focus on “minor” things like Z-Wave/Zigbee.

1 Like

and it’s horrible to use in comparison :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe that’s the reason Paulus (Schoutsen HA) started the Open Home Foundation?
LG tried to buy HA??

Shit! And I’ve just bought a brand new Samsung TV :joy::joy:

Doubtful :smiley:

It’s more of a pre-emptive strike against the future, because you never know what might happen.

I just bought a brand new Homey…

I think ‘focused on other things’ is the most powerful statement when you have no resources.

Sure, LG has its own plans. On the other hand, now I can sue LG when ‘minor’ issues like broken protocols disrupt my business. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

After Fibaro was acquired by NICE, everyone thought they were gone. Sure, since then they haven’t released many new products, but behind the scenes, their development is focused on stability and usability—not just shiny new things. So, yes, maybe LG has its own plans, but they will definitely invest in behind-the-scenes efforts to avoid risk. With Samsung and SmartThings was similar situation, they almost screewed it up, to recognize what’s necessary, and now pushing ST “everywhere”.

So thats that for the open platform. I wonder how long it will take for LG to “have to make the Homey Pro a monthly payed service, because it is not profitable anymore”

The overhead costs are going to increase dramaticly now, and within 3 years (after the transitioning period) the whole idea of a “free” hub will be wiped out. Not to mention the people that have worked so hard on this for the last years and put there soul in this. There working enviroment will change so much in the years to come.

Lets hope it wont turn up as one of many promising startups that get swallowed by the big fish.

3 Likes

We shall see.
Let’s wait and see what will happen and then we can always make a choice whether it is wise to stay with Homey Pro or switch. I don’t understand Home Assistant myself, I think Homey Pro is much easier. But hey, I could be wrong?!

I’ll give them a chance, just wait and see. Many companies sell customer data. And who knows, my next TV might be an LG TV :slight_smile:

I said easy to use and like advanced flows… so with a usable simple UI. And the current node red for the experts

Seconds ago this came. Easy decision. :wastebasket::wastebasket:

1 Like

But then,Homey’s added value never was in the hardware.

The beginning of the end.

2 Likes

People sometimes mistake “different” by “more difficult”.

Node RED and Home Assistant are not difficult to use, they just work differently from Homey. Also more powerful than Homey, so you won’t need to string things together with different apps or Homeyscripts.

1 Like

I know, and use home assistant, but on a User Interface level they have a lot of steps to take.
But the Node Red part will never get a simplified UI i think.

1 Like

It’s definitely time to get more involved with Home Assistant. I’m not going to invest any more in Homey and see what happens. I’m also going to discontinue my “Hot or Junk” test section in the German forum and keep my tinkering to myself in future. LG has to earn my free co-operation first. What do they say in Germany: “You shouldn’t stand on one leg”

4 Likes

To be honest, this is not a case of “different”, this really is “more difficult”. Just to fully install node-red to HA you need to first install a ssh plugin to install the HACS via command line. And this is before you need to figure out why node-red does not start without ssl certificates set. We are not even on the usage side of things yet and it’s already more difficult than it has any right to be for a normal user (and I say this as someone who writes code for a living).

2 Likes

So the instructions here are completely wrong? Or are you using HA Core (which is only recommended for experienced users)?

Nope, using HAOS (which is kind of needed if you want to use matter for example, which is its own can of worms). Then on first start after installing it as described in the instructions it will not actually startup, which you can find in the logs is because you need to set up a SSL cert or disable it in the config. And only then you will see that actually to really do anything with node-red on HA (like use a contact sensor as a trigger) you need to install hass-node-red which requires you to do the whole install HACS via ssh thing… (which probably isn’t even possible without running HAOS, but I might be wrong on that).

EDIT: But just to point it out, this is getting awfully offtopic. I just want to make clear that HA for a normal user is not at all an alternative to Homey as much as I would wish it was

6 Likes

Really sad to see, i am very happen i didnt buy the new Homey Pro, when the old ones stop working i will move to HA, should i wait to remove my apps from appstore or do it directly?

1 Like