Is there a time tag which has seconds in it?

There is nothing to fix, there is nothing broken, this is simply how the synology syslog server works…
Synology is close source software, i cannot change anything how it shows its syslog info.

I don’t understand why it is so difficult to understand that i just want to use ‘seconds’ as tag card, it should not matter where i want to use it for…
i can use it also for other tings than in logs, but currently the option to choose a tag card which shows seconds simply does not exist, i was just asking if there was an other way to get it…

Some suggested to use homey script and others suggested other apps could maybe add it.

My question is answered, there is currently no other app which can do this, if i still want it i should try the suggestions made if they do the trick for me.

Thx.

Are you tied to the Synology Syslog? if you can switch to another Syslog server it is also fixed in my opinion.

yep, the synology nas is the only syslog server in my network.

We could have a look to add this ‘action’ cards to flow utilities. With creating new flow tags.

I will put it on the todo list.

Cc: @martijnpoppen

On my Synology the LogCenter shows time including seconds. Is it only the Homey logs that do not show seconds or is this for every log? Maybe check the time format settings of your NAS?

That’s only in the overview, and only for the last 50 log lines.

I see now. Local logs show seconds, external logs don’t.
But if you use the export function from Log center the seconds are shown. So it is simply a display bug in Logcenter.

1 Like

External logs also show seconds, but only in the overview (and when you export the logfiles to CSV, for example).

I want to use seconds also on other places, not only in a syslog…
Without a tag which has seconds i cannot use it.

All external servers have no seconds in the synolog syslog, only internal logs have seconds in the NAS.
Here screenshot of Homey and an entry of my router which also logs into the same syslog server:

1 Like

I see two possible problems. Updating a tag is not that accurate. Secondly, a tag has to be persisted, so that in case of a reboot the value is saved. ThT means writing a value every second to the sad card. That might wear it the memory.
Anyway, why use a tag when it is possible to generate a datering string on the fly, as described above?

It won’t. Homey runs a complete Linux distribution which writes all kinds of data to disk (much) more than just once per second.

I think your syslog app is the problem, and you’re working around it.

I’m using Graylog community edition which runs as docker. You can run this on the Synology.

1 Like

How is my syslog server the cause that there is no second tags in Homey?!?!?

If i wish to use a logic value to store/use/calculate something (where i need seconds) using a second tag card, explain to me how i do that and why my syslog server can provide that card for me in Homey?

I agree, Your first question:

You use a Log App that sends ms in the RFC 5424 message and most Log collectors show seconds and or ms on receive of the Log message and/or from the date/time in the Log msg.

There are not many requests before for a time in Seconds, afaik you are the first that asks this question here.
The community provided a workaround that gives al sort of freedom to customize the time for all other use cases where you need seconds or better. Is there a time tag which has seconds in it? - #8 by Arie_J_Godschalk
and you can use the provided example in Advanced Flows or create a HomeyScript in Standard Flows to generate the time tag.

Provide a functional question and we can see if we can provide a solution.

I use the Stopwatch in Chronograph Chronograph App for Homey | Homey every sunday night to measure the discharge time of my batteries in ms and store that in a numeric value.

Works great.

In my opinion it would be silly if Athom spends time now to provide that new feature for a very rare use case where multiple other options are available and provided by using HomeyScript or other apps from the community.

But if you persist, you could always fill in a feature request here: https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/360015784034

1 Like