Hue Motion Sensor Temp Offset

Hi,

Just received my Homey last night so still on learning curve.

I have a lot of Hue Motion sensors, they provide great temp readings too.

I cannot find where you edit the temp offset/correction value.

I have two Hue Motion sensors both over doors, in the Landing, one cover the stairs the other along the hallway.

There is a 1.8c delta between them so need to add an offset to one of them but can’t find where to enter it. I know it’s there because you always allow for som correction with these sorts of sensors, I just can’t find it.

Sorry for stupid question, just not used to the interface.

I have 12.9” iPad and having to use it as an iPhone screen is very odd, I am looking for the iPad version or the config (I would have expected the app to automatically realise its an iPad though) failing that I need to work how to set this up on my Mac .

I’m pretty sure you can not change that on the device.
But you can create a virtual device for you.
and set the temperature offset over flows.

Ok thanks, the response is appreciated.

Dissapointing though - I was hoping to find a bit more maturity in the App, hopefully Athom will write a Hue app and complete it.

I understand the effort people put into these user developed apps and much appreciated, but the Hue connector I would have thought was a fairly central to have and is Dutch!!

So I have to create a Virtual Device and create a Flow to replicate each Temp Sensor to get a correct Temp reading?

Is that not a problem with the App - pretty much every Temp Sensor tracker I have encountered has a temp offset adjust built in?

I have 5 Hue motion sensors and i agree that it would be good to have a temp offset/correction in the Homey Hue app.
It is strange that in the original Philips Hue app they don’t even use the temperature sensor at all.
Makes me wonder if the temperature readings of these motion sensors are good/stable or not?

I have about a dozen of them and yes the Temperature readings are about the best all the ones I use, zwave/RFXCOM(Oregon)/Netatmo etc etc

They are both the most reliable in connectivity sense but also in temp reading - once the offset correct.

My guess is that the Temp is not shown in the Hue App is because it has little/no impact on lighting?

There’s an update coming for the Hue zigbee app which includes temperature offset for the motion sensors. Just wait a couple of days (?).

1 Like

Just wondering: does the device have an internal setting (implemented by Philips) for that?
If not, why blame Athom that it isn’t there in the app?
Even the cheap Xiaomi temp senors have an internal setting for that…

@PetervdK Not blaming Homey - Philips are not making a product to be the whole home automation controller - and they are currently exposing the Temp Sensors - but as the Homey Hue App does have Temp it would be extremely useful to add an offset.
I’m sure if Philips launch a whole house automation hub they will add an offset :slight_smile:

I guess my expectations of Homey as the top level HA would be better than a Lighting Hub :slight_smile:

Under advisement I’ll adjust my expectations…

Thanks, I had expected for all temp Sensor in everything as they almost always require some calibration.

Still, the hardware itself should supply that, not the software. It would mean that your application software has to monitor ALL devices ALL the time to apply the offset. That would be very consuming of resources. If you set the offset at the device then the device always reports the “correct” temperature to whatever console or program is asking for it.

Can you cite an example of where hardware does this?

The Oregon temp sensor is corrected in the Homey app, usually the zwave is done at the hub.

Agreed, ideally done at hw, but being the overriding HA it does need to accommodate.

For the ‘free’ temp sensors in the Hue sensors as they aren’t trying to be a full HA and they don’t expose the Temp I guess they did not consider putting an offset in it:-)

Read it before some where on the hue developer forums that they have no plans to implement the temperature offset at the moment. Also hoping to have some options within the hue Homey app to set the offset…

Settings of a Xiaomi Temp/Humid sensor:

All sensors of Fibaro (11 devices), Aeotec (5 devices supported, there are more), Neo Coolcam (1 device) and Eurotronic Technologies (3 devices) (that can measure temperature) have a parameter for this, so the offset is all set in the device itself and thus not taken care of by the controller.
And there are probably a lot more z-wave devices that have this.

Excellent point.

So that leaves us with the following options:-

A. Campaign for Philips to add a temperature offset to Hue Motion detectors (where Philips do not expose the Temp Sensor in their own apps)

B. Stop using the Temp Sensors in Homey that are in the Hue Motion Detectors (in which case how do we remove the Temp form the Hue App ?)

C. For each Temp Sensor in the Hue Motion Detectors - ( I have 12 of them) every Homey user using these then create a virtual device for each sensor and create a flow for each sensor to correct the Temp (I am new to Homey so not sure if this is correct)

D. The Homey App adds a Temperature Offset to the Hue Motion Detector Device and each Homey/Hue Motion Sensor user sets it is one place.

E. Debate the merits of hw having it built in - I agree with this one! I think it should absolutely do it, I just lack the optimism of being able to persuade Philips to do it.

I am hoping for D, I have submitted a request to the developers. Because I believe we live in an imperfect world and I believe Homey has a good shot at levelling a small part of it out for the betterment of its client base.

I will stand by now to receive the thrashing I so deserve…

1 Like

As this is a community forum, even if you would like ‘D’, the people from Athom are not reading along.

Feel free to make a feature request to Athom here :

I am closing this thread, as I don’t believe anything more can be added.

If you have a problem with this please feel free to contact myself of another moderator.