How to set up IKEA tradfri gateway app?

Herewith an update on my old response for those experiencing the same problems and searching for tips. Hope it is of any use. It’s also based on information from other topics.

• Did a full Zigbee (and Homey / Ikea hub) reset and build from scratch. The problem with IKEA GU10’s via the IKEA hub and via the Homey (because the need of routing points across property) resulted in delays in switching bulbs on separate Zigbee networks. Had to try something else.

• Because of this built again from scratch (resets) having one big IKEA Zigbee network (all GU10’s direct to the IKEA hub and with the gateway app added to Homey). And created one “side-Zigbee-network” on the same driveway location with some non-Ikea on/off controllers. This resulted in the ability to add Ikea bulbs everywhere and the use of Aqara motion detectors and other devices directly connected / via routers / to Homey.

• The result was a great operating network with (reasonable) fluent interaction and switching of Aqara and Ikea devices.

• Until the moment Homey lost (the app say’s temporary, but in the mean time it’s nearly a week) connection with several GU10’s connected via the Ikea gateway app. So now a lot of devices are on 24/7 on. I rebooted the Homey. Turned off Ikea hub, turned off homey, started the Ikea hub, waited an hour, started Homey and waited for days… Still no connection to several lights across property. On the driveway, but also in a room with high ceiling where ladder is needed to pair bulbs again. Imagine the frustration in the night at bedtime, turning of the lights and you need to get the ladder first, pair the lights again to reach turn off state - had this before. We are quite “handen in het haar” about what would result in a stable situation without the hassle we have now. If someone has an idea what can cause / solve these issues, please let me know. By the way; the Ikea remote(s) is still switching all paired lights. It’s Homey who lost several GU10’s which where connected via Ikea gateway app.

• Homey has some nice functionalities and I’m positive towards the usability. But it’s a really big disappoint looking at stability. I’ll understand that making use of the Ikea gateway app (every external designed app) is a step in the chain which possibly makes it weaker. But due to not able to work with homey-only / without the Ikea hub, and people explaining the Ikea hub makes it more stable, I choose for this solution.

1 Like