How to reuse flows for other devices (make the generic)

Thx for sharing your experience.

I did try the App “Device Capabilities” and it works very well (although not IMHO the best user experience for end users). The big advantage is that it facilitates the replacement of the devices in all cards used by the flow.

As explained here: The Flow Exchange(r) - Exchange Your Flows with Others!

1. I did recreate all the y basic flows for the dimmer and the bulb into a single advanced flow.
  2. I do export this advance flow via App > “Device Capabilities” > Configure > Export (under "the Flow Exchanger)
  3. I copy the text generated after clicking on “Create Exchanger File”. It’s my “template” (I do not click on “Post Template” however, as it’s not the purpose the share it with the Community, for now…)
  4. I do next import this template via App > “Device Capabilities” > Configure > Import (The text of my template is already there). I just have to click on “Read Flows”
  5. I rename there the flow and replace the devices (bulb and dimmer) used in the original advanced flow by those to be used in the new flow. I can also change the arguments used in my flow if any (Ex.: timers).
  6. I click on “Update Text” to generate the new version of my flow, copy the output text and paste it into the developer Homey API Playground (as mentioned below the generated text)

It’s a real tile saving, although a few manual steps a required. And it works very well as I mentioned. Any developer or reasonably advanced user will feel confortable with these manip…

I still have to investigate if it will be possible to bulk update all my flows when I will change something in my template…