[HOW TO] Plan and setup your Zigbee network

Is a Zigbee device running on main power the only requirement for acting as a router? I consider a smart bulbs mesh network (connected to the power all the time) e.g LED Light Bulb (Tunable White) - Aqara

Most Zigbee devices that are running on main power will act as router, but there are exceptions (mostly switches that allow for a “no neutral” configuration).

It’s fairly safe to assume that this light will act as a router.

1 Like

The last question from me. Do Zigbee devices create mesh networks even when different homey apps are used to manage them?

E.g
device 1 use Philips Hue, without the bridge App for Homey | Homey
device 2 use Aqara App for Homey | Homey

Yes, as long as the devices are directly managed by Homey’s Zigbee, they will mesh with each other.

1 Like

Very interesting post thank you. I’m new to homey and I recently bought a Sonoff SNZB-02D temperature sensor.
My issue is that as soon as I connect it, it disconnect a couple of seconds after.

From what I understand, I might be missing a router device. Is that correct?
My Philips bridge isn’t supposed to act like one?

Thank you for your help

Not necessarily. If your sensor is close enough to Homey, it will connect to that and you don’t need a router device. Routers serve two purposes: extend your network (so you can add devices to it that are beyond the reach of Homey) and unload Homey (which can only support a limited number of directly connected devices).

If you mean a Hue bridge, then no. That’s a completely separate Zigbee controller that builds its own Zigbee network, devices connected to that network will do nothing for Homey’s Zigbee network.

Then I don’t understand why it disconnect right after initialising the connection :frowning:

Yes I meant a Hue Bridge.

It could be interference, it could be that the sensor is at the edge of what Homey can reach, it could be Homey’s Zigbee being unstable, etc.