How to migrate to a Homey Pro?

It seems 130 hues does slow down Homey, maybe lots of iterations somewhere in their code for many devices. I don’t know. I’m betting on multiple horses, cause of the WAF which is reaching critical levels: “Homey out, or I’m out!”, cause of lights not responding. I see the UI/responsiveness of Homey is also quite slow many times, and sporadically no response at all. So I’m moving to antenna mod and a faster Homey with more memory. Thx for thinking along!

And you take a look at the developer page regularly to see what the mesh does? Or on the insights page to see what the memory usage does over time?
This could help to see what happens and maybe why.

Btw, i don’t understand why 130 hue lights should slow down Homey significantly if they are really connected to the hue hubs. Afaik Homey sends the command to the hue hub(s) and they steer the light. And the hue hub does that faster and better then Homey himself so i understood by reading different topics about it.
Correct me if i’m wrong.

Don’t know why it is just slow im bought homey just because I got sick of fiddling with opensource home automation software…

But reboot seems to help. After a while memory increases for HUE app, probably becouse of all the devices. Homey pools hue bridge costatnly with the light status and in the end I guess uses lots of memory or the app just has memory leeaks…
Plus there are other apps like MQTT for me that is quite demanding on memory.

I also tought about adding additional normal homey but I don’t believe there is a way for two homey’s to talk to eachother out of the box. Maybe via MQTT. Would get load balanced apps on two homeys and 2x IR in different rooms. but again it is a lot of work and increase in complexity.

Homey Pro should be a solution I believe. Will see when we try :). I just wont buy it and start migrating before there is an official way. If athom wont do this backup/restore, then I will live with old homey and reboot it every so often I guess. 400€ less for them. I kind of learned to live with the constant homey issues. Lights still works even if homey dies as HUE bridge works perfect.

I’m probably not alone, just many people don’t bother complaining as they see other people allready bugging the crowd :slight_smile:

There were/are several reports of memory leak (sometimes especially from the Hue app) that slows down and eventually hangs up Homey. Some ppl even reboot their Homey every night automatically to solve this. I believe most of the issues were solved after 2.2 (not sure which firmware exactly though)
I don’t have the hue app, but experienced memory leak also. But after upgrading to 2.4.1 it is gone. I am still on 2.4.1.

I’m on 3.1.0. It is much better than 2.x. in terms of stabikity for me. But still, Athom takes care for homey and HUE app. HUE app is probably one of most used and updated and it still has problems. So I cant do nothing but wait :frowning:

I have also issues with the Hue App. The workaround is to restart the the app every 6 hours.
But I can’t understand why the app does not restart automatically if it becomes paused?! Or why the status paused is not available as a trigger?

I presume you all give a the hue a static IP?
When the lease time is expired that was given by the router for hue it could be that a new IP is chosen.

Hi @PetervdK. First of all, thank you very much for thinking along. It doesn’t seem a memory issue. Even 15 minutes after reboot the responsiveness is to cry about. I will however go check insights regularly. Homey is lots of times also very slow in responding when building flows and such. I have good hopes dual core will help for that.

The mesh/z-wave area you point at does seem a likely suspect. If I execute a flow manually, the lights respond almost immediately. Through a button, not so much (even sometimes 30 seconds). I’ll check the z-wave debug-log to see how fast the command is received by Homey classic (first-batch-backer). Over here you can see my mesh-set-up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D1viunxH7MZABG0DBQi01qwpRNqOI6nB/view?usp=sharing though I cannot judge if that’s problematic or not. That’s for z-wave.

Then the hue’s. I rearranged the Hue’s in the hub. I got 100+ invalid_id errors on 100+ Hue lights (via their hubs) in Homey. I then decided to delete 130+ Hue devices from Homey (devices through their Philips Hubs, cause I want to keep the Philips firmware updates and fallback in that app). Homey does seem to respond a bit faster. Maybe Homey upates the Hue’s by iterating them and calling status API’s polling based. That could explain some slowness, and Homey being busy so much.

My electronics guy is almost finished hacking the antenna mod in a Homey Pro, so I’m very curious if life will get better from that on. He’s gonna migratie my house room by room. I will post that here, but it might take some time. Having said that, I’m almost on topic again of this thread.

He has almost as little time as me, though. So be patient. On the (cynical) bright side, if my wife leaves me due to a non-working house, I’ll have plenty of time.

I think this questing is much bigger than “being able to migrate to homey pro”.
I cannot believe that we are not able to backup and restore homey at all!

That there isn’t a way to backup and restore homey not only makes me a bit worried. It’s a core feature of any device that you use to control your house, and any device that you’ll loose so much time reconfiguring in case of a failure.

The community have asked for a backup solution for as long as I’ve been part of this community, and the closest things we have seen is a few community driven projects trying to solve this problem.

Athom does not seem very interested in speaking about it, but my best guess is that this, for some reason is really hard to implement, otherwise it would have been here from the start. Right?

Implementing a working backup feature now, should make extra sense since the release of homey pro. Should generate a few extra sales to users that already have a homey.
I would be one of the first to jump on one.

Why so concerned now on a thread almost 2 months old,
If you read Homey+ subscription or Homey Cloud Backup - (part of Homey+ subscription)you would know this is now really on the way and just is this what is asked. Only not yet officially announced and available.
I guess days or maybe a couple af weeks max,

2 Likes

146/5000

I hope you are right Dijker, that we will soon be offered a solution for backup.
We have been waiting for this long enough, and much more than 2 months.

I have not read these threads, and it makes me very happy to know that this is on the way after all these years,

Maybe the next time read first, complain later?

Fair point, did a search and didn’t look hard enough, Homey Cloud Backup - (part of Homey+ subscription) is the 6th result when searching for backup, and the 5th searching for “migrate to home pro” where this is the first thread. The rest of the threads are, like this one, a Wailing Wall of the missing feature

Now everyone else finding this post first when searching will also find the solution.

2 Likes