Homey Pro Support, faulty units

Hi Peter
Yes I am, although in Netgears infinite wisdom they have removed telnet ability from recent firmware and made it harder to downgrade so ability to turn on band steering has gone from latest units (850) in favour of a deciated IoT network, at least thats how it seems, I did use to use it when I was expereince some interference form a Sky box but that is sorted and it now seems stable for most devices, certainly no obvious flapping. My Homey is now in its final place and seems stable so will keep an eye on it for a while. Still not heard re replacement so is a bit frustrating but overall really pleased - I used to use combination of Alexa Routines, IFTTT, voice monkey and Apilio so hopeing to reduce the complexity with advanced flow and maybe just keep IFTTT for stuff thats not yet supported.
Cheers Darrell

1 Like

When I received my HP back in May, it sounded like a maracas, so I reported to Athom Support. They assured me that was not going to affect negatively the performance of my device. I simply think that a new device should not be dispatched without quality control.
They should had been strict and think what the customer would feel, after waiting for it about 6 months.

The product was not replace.

Now I have another issue, after reporting other in the way. Now when trying to set it up a newer location where time is GMT-6, it did configure a time 30 minutes earlier than it should.

The other issue that bothers me is the lapse of time that it takes for support agents to answer: 1 t 2 weeks due the volume of reports and cases.

I feel kind of unprotected and unsupported. I just hope Athom resolve customer service issues asap and recover customerā€™s confidence.

1 Like

Well, since mine worked and i wanted to fix the rattling. I put caution to the winds and voided the warranty and took it apart. Its a 4 layer design: top lid-> PCB> diffusion ring-> bottom

I take no responsibility for the instructions below. Do it at your own risk! it will void your warranty!.

1. Carefully remove the circular rubber pad beneath with the aid of a 0,5mm guitar pick.
  2. Remove the 4 torx screws (T9 bit required)
  3. Turn the unit with right side up, and carefully lift the top straight up, this reveals the PCB.
  4. Lift the PCB off 2-3mm on the opposite side of the power plug, and slide it out.
  5. You should now see a 72 gram metal weight (with a rubber pad facing the pcb), that is supposed to be glued to the center of the bottom cover. They have used a inflexible and brittle green/yellow contact cement, instead of a polymer based glue that they should have used.

So how to fix it?
Clean of the bottom and weight of the old glue ( i used my nail), Reglue with Sikaflex 11fc or similar, make sure you see glue coming out all around the sides of the metal weight, wipe away any excess glue.

I recommend waiting until it dries before reassembly, and check that the weight is properly fastened.

3 Likes

And I thought it could be some other, more important part, eg. screw or nut from heat-sink :rofl: - I wonder if that magnet would cause any damage, when not glued. They should rather write in the article - if you hear rattling sound, contact our support (but itā€™s just not improperly glued magnet so unless you donā€™t plan to relocate your Homey frequently, itā€™s safe to use itā€¦)

Well if it was a magnet i could see some use for it, but its just a non-magnetic metal disc. The Homey Pro 2023 weighs in at 303 gram with the metal disc and 231 gram without it.

Theres basically 2 reasons for it being there, increasing the perceived quality and to prevent the unit from sliding around too much. If you dont care how it ā€œfeelsā€: remove the weight, put it back together again and call it a day.

Looks more like the metal plate is to separate the LEDS more so the rainbow effect looks nicer (no light bleed to the other side).
They could have gone for a plastic 1, but then your weight notes do make sense next to that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, very useful, looks like a slip up in the quality control for something so simple!! maybe a strong double sided like the Gorilla tape might be an option to stick the ring down?

Iā€™ve got a working unit now, arrived today and another import duty charge!!!
Darrell

Well after finally getting a solid working unit today, I tried the backup and restore which has proved not to be as straightforward as Iā€™d hoped!!! Not sure if anyone else has had similar experience but followed the process, i.e. back up old unit, turn it off, install new one and restore backup.

All seemed good then realised I had no devices showing and all apps greyed out, logged out and restarted unit then couldnā€™t log in, got the message ā€œunknown error occured, too many requestsā€ on the web login and Apple App would just hang. Oddly couldnā€™t even log into community forum as it said my account was invalid!!

Worked through a lot of trial an error and can now log in and see all devices but my account shows 2 Homey Proā€™s (old and new) and what shows as just Homey but I cannot delete or remove from the account the 2 unwanted entries - anyone any ideas?

Also, the Aqara App seems to have an issue as none of the devices work, they show battery status etc. but App says not connected to any flows and none of the devices work so looks like it somehow needs reinstalling but when I tried that all the devices disappeared.

Not sure if anyone has any ideas or if I bite the bullet, reset account and start from scratch but concerning the backup didnt seem to restore as expected???

Does anyone know if I delete device and App and reinstall if it will be preserved in an advanced flow or will I loose the devices from the flow?

Thanks
Darrell.

There is way to delete 2nd Homey - How to remove my old Homey? - #2 by Peter_Kawa - itā€™s somehow similar even in the new app - itā€™s there, please search a little bit :wink:

Very strange. Have you waited after restore after all apps downloaded ? Like 5-10 minutes ?

Sorry for that, there are many cases where the backup did work fine. Just what I can think of, you were on old Homey on the latest firmware, correct ?

Yes, when you uninstall app, devices get deleted - upon re-installation, all devices would stay.

1 Like

Hi
Iā€™ll have a look for the delete option, thanks.

Yes, I waited a good 10-15 minutes for everything to initialise and followed all the guidance I could follow. Apps all seem installed and most are now working, it seems the Aqara devices all show but none of them work either directly or in a flow.

This was from a faulty (rattle) Homey Pro migrating to another Homey Pro, both working and on latest firmware.

I tried a re-install and devices all still seem dead but I noticed in developer tools they are all connected from what I can see, just dont respond. Itā€™s like it needs a refresh but canā€™t think of anything else to try rather than delete and reinstall but guess if I then restore the backup to get my flows back I may end up with same issue again?

Darrell.

I canā€™t discover if you did alr, so are you aware of the fact all zigbee devices need to be re-paired, after migrating?
In the web app, right click on a zigbee device and hit ā€˜Repairā€™, something like that.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, Iā€™ll give that a try when back home but some Zigbee devices have worked which is odd, all seems limited to Aqara, Iā€™ll try repair as might save me a lot of time rebuilding the flows!!
Cheers

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve tried everytning now and at point of giving up (something I very rarly do) but simply cannot find a way to fix this, repair of Aqara devices didnt work so powered up old Homey Pro again and it seem they were still attached so did factory reset on old unit, that did at least remove it from my account. Tried to delete and re-attach Aqara Curtain drivers and it seems to work then few seconds later Homey comes up with Device unavailable, device has left the Zigbee network try to repair which fails. So decided to reset new Homey back to factory which then took 6 attempts to connect the Homey to network after the reset despite no issues with my network, then restored the backup again and now back to all Aqara devices with red triangle in them and cannot get them to re-join no matter what I try. Iā€™ve logged a ticket but the backup/restore process has certainly not worked well for me thats for sure. Thinking only option left to try from scratch without the restore but I have put a lot of time into the flows so that would be really annoying and cannot see it would make much difference.

Anyone any tbhoughts before I go mad? ā€¦

Wich fw version are you on? The latest one rc133 fixed a lot of issues with my zigbee problems. But to install it you have to enable experimental updates on the homey developer page.

1 Like

Hi Glenn
Thanks for info on the Beta, Iā€™ll take a look, currently Iā€™m on FW 10.0.0-rc.122 which seems ok. I gave up with the repair option as they simply wouldnā€™t re-connect so did a full factory reset and started again, a long night as quite a few things to pair but does now all seems stable and re-created most of the flows (really impressed with advanced flow, such a powerful tool to link all my stuff together).

I managed to get the old one of the account too with help from Homey support, only real issue left now is backup doesnā€™t work, keeps failing with validation error and cannot seem to find a fix for that, both manual and automated fail.

The unit seems stable on connections now too but got the USB Ethernet adaptor just in case - hopefully not too much of an issue to swap back from Wi-Fi to direct.

Iā€™ll take a look at the experimental stuff later - thanks.
Darrell.