Homey Pro as a Home Assistant server

I really wanted to love Homey but I just can’t take it anymore. I have the new homey pro 2023 and I was wondering if it was possible to reset it and use it as a home assistant server and leverage all the antennas (zwave/etc)

No it isnt. Its a totally different product but you can integrate Homey with HA via MQTT

Well I guess you can jail break the device which should give you access to the underlying software/hardware and probably allow you to install HA in a docker container.

[Modding][HowTo] Guide to Jailbreak a Homey Pro 2023 - Questions & Help - Homey Community Forum

Ya that’s what I was aiming for. It’s a RP Compute 4 in there right? Seems like it would be the perfect hardware for it.

To be clear though, I don’t want homey at all. It’s half baked software built on the backs of its community despite not listening to them at all!

If I were you, I would sell your Homey and buy either a normal Raspberry Pi or perhaps a mini-PC and run all your software on there (or if you happen to have a NAS, you can probably run HA on there).

The reason being that even though Homey has a CM4 inside, there is some additional hardware that could make it difficult to access the radio chips (Zigbee/Z-Wave) in a standardized way, and it’s also just way too expensive: an RPi4 costs €90, a good Zigbee dongle (Sonoff Zigbee Dongle-P) about €25, a Z-Wave dongle about the same, an eMMC about €30, say about €200 in total with a nice case and a good power supply.

And that’s still overpriced if you look at the prices for N100 mini PC’s, which you can now get for about €150 with 8GB RAM and 256GB eMMC.

1 Like

If you don’t want half baked software build on the backs of it’s community I’m not 100% sure that HA is exactly what you are looking for :sweat_smile: But yeah probably you are better of with @robertklep’s suggestions to just sell your homey in this case and buy a Raspberry Pi 4, Mini PC or just a NAS and a SkyConnect stick, or a Home Assistant Green/Yellow directly.

HA is fully open source, so not built “on the backs of its community”. And it may not look as slick as Homey, but it’s far from half baked (I’ve been running it for years and I would say it has been 99% stable).

1 Like