Homey Pro 2023 can't detect Philips Hue Bridge

I assumed that Homey Pro replaces Hubs/Bridges. Or did i get s.th. wrong? If not, what is the advantage of using HP with a bridge (like Hue)?

You can assume what you like, but that doesn’t help :wink:.
Using Hue hub for example has advantages like:
-use of own stable zigbee mesh,
-complicated scenes which you can create with Hue are practically impossible / takes huge amounts of time to create with Homey,
-if Homey or Homey zigbee fails, you can still control your Hue lights manually.

Furthermore, there are manufacturers who use closed protocols to control their products. So then you have to have their matching hub as well, otherwise Homey literally cannot communicate with it.
This is the case with tado° and Somfy io, for example.

In the marketing info, I think it’s very unclear when, and for which devices, external hubs are needed (and additional costs…)
But in the Homey app store you can find out for most apps whether you need an extra hub;
For example Gardena, Switchbot, tado°, Bold, Nuki, tedee.

For some brands, there are apps for use with hub, and one app for use without the hub, Philips Hue & Philips Hue without the bridge, and Ikea Trådfri & Ikea e.g…
For Somfy there are also 2 apps, but then again these are different product lines →
For the RTS version, there is the Somfy RTS app;
For the io version, there is the Somfy Tahoma & Connexoon app.

Another possibility, as with Somfy, with some other brands you also need a hub for particular devices and not for other devices (SwitchBot, e.g.), with Hue and Trådfri you have the choice yourself.

1 Like

It doesn’t help though that Athom markets Homey as “the last smart home hub you’ll ever need”. So it’s no surprise that some people assume that to be the truth :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I totally agree.

That’s also what I mean with this (and I put it nicely, marketing indeed yells about “no need for other hubs”)

It’s like rule #1 of the Homey Club: “You Don’t Talk About The Hubs” :wink:

1 Like

Which hubs, Robert?

1 Like

Homey connects to ALL your devices. And bridges are devices too :angry: according commercial guys.

Thank you! So, assuming ends here :wink: Now I know. You probably saved me from a nervous breakdown and from spending 400 € on a device that I had hoped would save me some hubs and and thereby free up sockets. (Last time I’ve mentioned hubs …:smile: )

1 Like