Homey lost connections after updates, with Lidl and Tuya-zigbee devices

Due to the instability of the zigbee part in the Homey I have decided to transfer a number of zigbee Tuya device to my aTahoma hub. After transferring divices to tahoma hub Ithe stability increased enormous. No stopping of the few zigbee items which where left on the Homey. An other remarkable different way of attaching the Zigbee devices to the Tahoma. You mention which group it belongs. Lamps, sockets. Sensors and Tahoma self recognize the exact type. No special adaption of the hub or app needed. This also means no update needed when a manufacturer changes the device the Tahoma can cope with that. This is how apps should be developed instead of per brand, make and sub.

Sounds ok, which model homey do you use?
I have no idea how this works with homey. Do you control the individual Tuya devices directly in the homey UI?

You mean this device?

Not very cheapā€¦

Until now I did everything to work around the somfy stuff :slight_smile:

In the end you have the same solution I practiced, reducing the number of ZIGBEE devices on Homey.

At this moment I use the Homey Pro 2019 version. And it is indeed the Tahoma you added. I have only added the Zigbee parts which has only an easy switch on and off based on a sensor. I had this already because of the Somfy IO devices which can only be activated via the Tahoma and Homey couplng. Due to the fact that not all possible items are in the Tahoma app I can not activate my Zigbee items connected to the Tahoma via the Homey. Those items act more or less as a standalone solution. Both items Zigbee and Tahome apps are community apps which means for Zigbee the app developer is pointing towards Homey and Homey is pointing to the app developer to solve the problem but as user you donā€™t receive a solution. Also the pssibilities of the tahoma are limited. eg. You can not activate an other device bases on the activation of an other. Also my wall switches are acted as an endpoint which can swithc on or off but not act as een switch to activate something else

This happens more often and seems to be unavoidable.
How many zigbee devices did you have connected to your homey before and after the tahoma add-on

I had 41 Zigbee units and 4 Z-Wave units and now 27 Zigbee units and 4 Z-Wave. If Tahoma changes the flow possibilities I will make Tahoma my dominant system because tahoma does not accept Z-wave protocoll

Hi @Harrr
I havenā€™t read the whole thread, but my experience with zigbee is that you should stick to a brand or brands that you know work together. Especially for cheap variants, eg Aqare. With them, I have experienced that they are abnormal in a way that not all routers accept them, with the exception of the Ikea plug. In addition, they are very bad at reconnecting after reboot of the controller. That could also apply to other brands. Also, as mentioned, zigbee operates in conjunction with wifi 2g, so that can also be a problem. In addition to that, I can confirm that I had trouble with zigbee after updating and rebooting a few months ago, but I have not experienced that in 2024.

OK Thanks, do you have a homey 2019 pro or a newer one and how many Zigbee devices do you run in your network? I simply think that 40 is too much. It can work but probably not very stable.
The heart of my network are de lidl smartplug devices.

ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker
This an animation of the zigbee map of my network, changing every second. The nodes connected to the homey are all lidl switches, except the kerstboom, it is drawn in the network, but this device is switched off.
My idea is that it does not matter at which moment they are added to the network. They are very cheap. My aqara sensors do their job fine. Also the ZBmini switches work fine. The trouble I see in the tuaya smart plug with metering. I have disconnected them. Indeed they are very cheep. They worked fine until the homey was updated. They gave me useful information about the power consumption of the heavier equipment. Now I intend to connect them to a seperate system.

40 is not much at all, i have almost 150 zigbee devices at the moment and it works flawlessly, had it the same on hp19 and later updatet to hp23. As long as you have a lot of router devices there shouldnā€™t be a problem.

I got the same problem for a few weeks now, I checked my Tuya account but thatā€™s still active.

I am currently on 2023. Upgraded from 2019. Before that I used Smartthings. Today Iā€™m at around 20 zigbee (down from around 80). Most of them were Aqare and they were the only ones that gave me trouble. I donā€™t think 40 is a lot. I think the mix of brands is the problem. Zigbee is complex and an open standard. Compared to z-wave which requires a certification. Because of that, you are most likely guaranteed that all work together. So now I focus on z-wave. If you look at the Philips hue, you probably wonā€™t experience any problem. They have done their homework. I have 80-90 hue devices in two bridges and no problems. But this is my experience. I have spent hours fighting zigbee, with both smarthings and homey.

Thanks, clear response. I think you have a good point there in the open zigbee standard. I think there might be role for athom to have a more critical policy in accepting apps of devices. The commercial dilemma is of course the more the better.

what do you mean by that?

THanks for your respons, which homey model do you have?, it canā€™t be the 2019 model I guess. Do you use reliable (not very cheap) devices?

Had hp19 and now hp23, both with the same ish amount of devices connected. Mostly ikea and aqara devices.

Some of my Tuyacloud smart things doesnā€™t respond any more, but others or working fine.
I canā€™t find the problem so far, but didnā€™t find time to check it a little deeper in software.

For me it sounds like you are just having the known issues which have persisted for many of us since 10.3.0 where endpoint devices (e.g. Ikea, Sonoff or Tuya sensors) just randomly drop out of the network. Iā€™m still having those issues on 10.3.2 and Iā€™m not sure when/if Athom will fix them.

Personally I spun up zigbee2mqtt on my NAS with the channel set to 25 which for now only hosts my sensors and this has been rock solid now for a week (before they dropped out daily), so Iā€™m very certain that itā€™s Homeys fault.

EDIT: Just saw that they released 10.3.3 which has this disclaimer text at the bottom:

Homey Pro (Early 2023) Changelog | Homey

Note: there is currently an issue related to Zigbee in this, and previous firmware versions. Some Zigbee end-devices may experience difficulties reconnecting to Homey Pro after a reboot or firmware update. Also, in some cases Zigbee might become unavailable due to this issue. We are working together with Silicon Labs to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We understand the frustration this may cause and apologize for any inconvenience it may bring to your smart home experience.