Homey Dashboards — Public Beta Megathread

Same here !
I supposed it’s based on the device resolution :frowning:
A confirmation would be appreciate :slight_smile:

Could it be possible to let the designer choose the format and the number of columns on the screen ?

Thank you again for this great upgrade :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Coool finally! :smiley:
One question tho: why exactly am I not allowed to access dashboards from my pc to just edit those more quickly?
It would be much faster with mouse and keyboard to do the initial setup of something like this than on a tablet or phone? Am I missing something here?
(just emulate a generic tablet and phone to display it in the browser?)

4 Likes

Thanks. I had no time to try out but I still wonder if/how a widged can be bound to a device. See my question…

The manual only has a reference to homey.app, not to a device as used in repair views for example.

So I’m excited to see your dashboards :slightly_smiling_face:

In my opinion, an option for thermostat and temperature sensors to show the temperature value in a large text would be welcome. Maybe when climate comes to dashboards?

Being able to read the temperature from a distance would be nice. Something like the weather widget.

7 Likes

Congratulations Athom on the first official integrated dashboard, which works with good performance without the need of all kinds of additional connectivity settings.

When trying out a first dashboard on my Android 14 tablet, I noticed the following (perhaps due to my lack of knowledge):

• speaker widget for Sonos: if I click directly on the volume bar at the desired volume level, it works as expected. But if I change the volume level by sliding the slider or using the Plus and Minus buttons next to the volume bar, the volume (both louder and quieter) still moves in different directions for up to 5 seconds.
  • no automatic camera refresh. After manually refreshing and restarting the dashboard, the old image is shown again (and not the manually refreshed image)
  • in dashboard design mode: would it be possible to have a plus button between each widget. Now there are two options: Add widget above and below.
  • in the Android app, the previous/back button no longer works to leave the Homey app. How do I close the app properly?
  • the selection of an Insight is different in dashboard definition and in the Homey app. With many devices it is desirable to have one way of searching.
  • adjust the scale of the Y-axis of Insights to the information shown; the Y-axis now always starts at 0, which is not the case with Insights in the Homey app
  • how can I use the Plex widget? I now partly see 2.5 images with a lot of unused white, but I can’t do anything with them: I can’t scroll through new videos and only refresh the images after restarting the Homey-Plex app.

Please read the suggestions above as a help to make the dashboards even better.

2 Likes

The widget function in dashboard and the customizible homescreen are very nice! First great step IMO.

There are 2 things I wonder.
Is it possible to change color of a group of devices (widget) in the future?
Is it possible to have not only colum based widgets, but also a widgets that is 2 colums wide?

And is it possible to share your homescreen or dashboard with other users?

Thanks and keep going on the good work!

9 Likes

Hello, I just moved the elements to the right in edit mode.
I was even able to create 4, but the 4th is not displayed outside of edit mode.

In the “old app” you have on the top of your homescreen 4 items. Lights, Energy and some others.

When you opened this, you was able to change for example the brightness of a complete zone in 1 action.
In the new app I can not find this, or I can not find the right widget for this.

Is this option “gone”, or is it hidden and do I need the look in the right place?

1 Like

It’s down to the widgets to bind themselves. For mine I have added a configuration setting to select the Device it attaches to.

@sschot that’s on the Devices tab :slight_smile:

My appoligize, you are right!!! But could you also get this on the home screen, with a widget?

2 Likes

@sschot that would be a feature request

1 Like

Maybe I am again lost in the new app.

But in the old version, it was quite easy to remove some Timeline information. Based on several categories.

Right now I can not find how to delete any item from the Timeline.

Is this somewhere hidden in a corner, that I do not look for?

edit: maybe this is only for owner and I am now on other account

3 Likes

I read in the docs that custom widgets do not work on Homey Cloud. But the built in widgets do. Will it become available for Bridge users eventually? Is there any limitations to Homey Cloud, like no access to Web API or is this a question of resources/security etc.?

Google calender would be nice.
Today we use Dakboard to see the familys plans.
That mean we show all family members calendars in one view.

3 Likes

Hi Homey Devs (and @Emile )

Thank you for this in my opinion “essential” update. Here’s my two cents after playing around with the Dashboard:

Home: It seems that the homescreen is now also a Dashboard (in functionality). This is not very clear from the start and I think it would benefit in being displayed in the “Dashboard” overview from settings. From what I understand right now, my wife doesn’t run the beta, she would have to make her own dashboard for the home page something she doesn’t have the desire to do and I would have to do the work twice?

Home If home is basically a dashboard let me swipe between the dashboards there :slight_smile: The “current” home screen isn’t really up to par with other home automation systems.

Dashboard only will there be a way to limit the dashboard feature on for instance tablets? I would love to have a tablet on the wall where you can go through (specific) dashboard(s) but any other option like (devices, settings etc) should not be available for the people using the dashboard (in other words my kids!)

Account for dashboard? Will it be easy to add a “tablet account/mode”? A guess here since I have yet to try it on a tablet but wouldn’t want the always on tablet to count as “me being home”. Creating a new homey account, and thus use a new e-mailaddress etc, doesn’t seem like the solution for this.

Moods: I don’t have moods purchased/enabled and thus should not be mentioned in the overview when editing a dashboard

Tile size: It would be great to have several tile sizes. On average a Tile is “90% nothing”, an Icon on the top left and the name bottom left. It could easily be half the height allowing more lights/items on a single (phone) screen)

Web: I’m sure this will be a thing soon but hope to test dashboard on web too. I manage most of my stuff on Homey through web (devices, advanced flows etc) and would be much easier doing it there :slight_smile:

Pricing Although it’s the same price as advanced flows in my opinion Dashboards should’ve been a “day 1 thing”. The “devices page” has always bothered me (and others) since it’s the place with all my devices whilst many of these devices are “background triggering” devices which I have no need to see all the time and the current homescreen with a few favourite devices/flows is not a good overview when you’re managing an entire house (and let’s be honest, you don’t buy Homey to manage 3 lamps and a temp sensor). Since hiding them wasn’t an option and sorting within the groups is still not a feature Dashboards is the only way to get a clean overview of your house. I understand the need to ask additional costs but €25,- feels like allot for a “should have been” option (let’s not discus this part, it’s really my opinion and more of a business case I guess :wink: )

Beyond this quick test I’m really happy this is finally a thing, I’ve been looking at Home Assistant for a while now only to set it up for dashboards towards my homey. In the end, when homey “2019” needed upgrading it could have led me off the path towards the dark-side.

9 Likes

I second everything you said and hope @Emile @Homey act on this soon :wink:

I would like to point out that im missing the function of using different dashboards via a flow. For exampel use dashboard 1 (show my camera dash) when flow x (“motion in the garden” ) is activated and use dashboard 2 when flow y (“morning flow”) i activated. Will be of great use when having wallmounted tablets.

5 Likes

Thanks for releasing dashboards for Homey. Finally!

One big thing I’m missing so far is a really simple thing like showing time and date. I think that should be basic functionality…

4 Likes
  1. Create a “Dashboard-only” user level below “Guest” that can only use dashboards - and of course only the dashboards that they are allowed to see

I’d like to add to your suggestion that this user should also not be considered part of the “family,” ensuring that flows like “last one left” or “first user went to sleep” won’t break or require custom adjustments to handle these scenarios.

1 Like