Garmin - control your Homey with your Garmin watch

That’s caused by the WebApi.
If you have a flow marked as favorite, and delete the flow, the favorite entry kepps alive. So the watch gets all favorites (read in category page) and while trying to read then flow (scrolling through flows), it gets an error.
You can delete this favorite entry with the menu in this screen.

The WebApp or mobile app are reading all favorites once including all details and they filter out invalid entries. But that’s to much data for processing it in one step on the watch.bSo you only get the error message.

The 1/5 I can check. It should be updated in category page.
You did not add favorites while showing the flow page?

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile: No favorite flows added while showing the flow page.

Edit: all good after deleting it. I think the 1/5 is from the previous navigation screen (not flows). But now it’s showing correct again. All good, thanks :slight_smile:

I’ll check it. Thanks for showing/reporting. If this happens again, please write what you did before. Then I can easier reproduce the issue.

1 Like

To everyone who can’t use the widget with the iOS Connect app:

Please upvote this bug report in the Garmin forum (use the Garmin Connect account to log in). Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

There is an update from Garmin :crossed_fingers:
Let’s hope they will fix it :soon:

Hi
Any update?
Same problem with the fenix 6s

No update from Garmin.
It depends on the GarminConnect app on iOS, not on the Garmin watch itself.

Hi Ronny,

Happy Newyear and thank you for developing the Garmin Homey Widget. It think it has a huge potential.

I have a few ideas to enhance the usibility of the app. E.g.:

• a setting to skip the start screen with Homey information and start the widget straightaway with ‘favorite devices’ or ‘favorite flows’
  • a ‘widget composer’ enabeling users to use the widget settings in the connect IQ app to configure custom widget screens, where they can configure user selected flows to different watch buttons (both short and long press). A use case would be a music player widget screen with a “play/pause” flow to a button, a “Next track” flow to another button, a “previous track” flow to another button and so on. Another use case would be a widget screen for each room with flows attached to different buttons for the main functions in that room e.g. heater on/of, lights on/off, stereo on/of etc.
  • the functionality to select the default user configured widget screen to start with
  • the functionality to scroll through a list of user configured widget screens in the watch widget, with as little button clicks possible . E.g. start the widget with the default “Living room” widget screen, turn on the lights and the stereo with the user configured buttons. Then scroll to the “Music Player” user configured widget screen and control the music played by the stereo in the living room.

Futhermore I wonder if you would like to share your source code on Github, to enable us to work on the app together.

Hope to hear what you think of it.

Kind regards, Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric,
thanks for your suggestions.
Nice ideas, but I’m afraid most of it won’t be feasible…

First some technical details about widgets.
A widget is shown in a widget carousel. So the first widget view is only used as an overview.
There you have not all buttons accessable because they are used for system events (scrolling through the carousel.

The itself can display futher views where you have more button evenets available. But still it’s only a small set:

• start/enter
  • back
  • up
  • down
  • long up press (menu)

That’s all. System widgets have more possibilities than ConenctIQ apps because they are part of the firmware.

So the basic process would be:

So the main view can only be used as a overview and a start to call detail views.

Here are some guidelines from Garmin:

The data retrieval is reduced to a minumin and only on demand because the watched have very limited CPU and menory and the API data from Homey is very huge. Not easy to handle on such devices.
The widget is reading the favorite devices (only the IDs) and loops throuht the list. The device data is read on showing the device detail view. So the device/flow data is not known before.

The widged itself is made similar to the Homey apps first page:

• show main data
  • show/access favorite devices and flows
  • Use the quick action (like a click on the tile)

It’s not designed as a dashboard and will never be a customizeable dashboard.
The app settings are limited to predefined values. So you can’t use dynamic data (flows/devices) in app settings. That’s why there won’t be device dependent settings in app settings.

You can already sort/hide the categories. But the main process flow is predefined.
The only possibility would be to “hide” the main view (Homey system details) when the widget is called from a glance list. But I have to check if it’s possiblke and if I can determine this case in the view. But I think the view is called the same way independent if it’s started from glance list or widget carousel. So I can’t promise.

Thank you for your extensive reply and sorry for replying so late: I thought I would get notified by email, but that didn’t happen.

I do understand now that my idea to streamline the user experience is only partly possible.

And thanks for your effort: I do enjoy the widget as it is now.

1 Like

There is a new update coming (0.1.6)…

• Added new devices (FR265, FR965)
  • Added a colorful Homey ring to the main view to get a bit of Homey feeling
    f0e8d90a97bab36111d8cb4015425a3e4908701b

It’s added for all round screens.
The other views will stay in clean design to not overload the CPU/memory and to not hide the navigation elements around the screen.
You can disable this background in app settings (using the ConnectIQ mobile app) or directly from the main view using the menu button.
If you have an AMOLED device, you will get a nice look&feel. The MIP displays will give a less colorful impression.

Here are live images from a MIP (fenix 5x plus) and AMOLED (Epix2) version.

If your Homey ring doesn’t fit into the screen, please send me your exact device name (oncluding s/x/pro…) and a foto, so I can adjust the resolution.

And to all users with inactive auto update: Please activate auto update for this widget. I can see in the statistics that there are some really old version (0.0.x) still in use.

The update will take a while to be available for all users. You can get it faster with hitting the download button in https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/02c86289-5478-48c3-8509-cd1bb36fe51a and then start the sync in GarminConnect app.

2 Likes

A new update is available - version 0.2.0

Overview:

• Compatibility with HomeyPro 2023. Some changes in API responses required a fix in the app (system data).
  • Added possibility to use the local API key from HomeyPro 2023 to get access to Homey as alternative method beside WebAPI with oAuth authentification.
  • Using local API key you will get some new functiosn that are not possible with WebAPI access (based on scope restrictions from Athom). Examples are:
    – delete all notifications in notification category menu
    – restart an app in app detail menu

Here are some details about the local API key:

• Read the documentation from Athom:
    https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/8178797067292

• Create an API key in WebApp:

• Add the API in the app settings of the Garmin widget (ConnectIQ app)
    – Select “Local API key” as acces type. Then select the submenu to insert your API key
    grafik
    grafik
    Please follow the instructions how to set the Homey URL. Possible ULR can be:
    https://[homey_id].connect.athom.com (Cloud access)
    https://192-168-1-123.homey.homeylocal.com (LAN access via IP)
    http://homey-[homey_id].local (LAN access via Athom ID)
    https://[homey_id].homey.eucentral1-prod001.homeypro.net (HomeyPro 2023 multi-region)
    Replace [homey_id] with your Homey/Cloud ID you can find in Homey system settings.

With this new update, all iOS users affected by the GarminConnect app issue, who own an HomeyPro23, can use the local API key for the Homey access now.

Please report issues in this thread.

The update will take a while to be available for all users. You can get it faster with hitting the download button in https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/02c86289-5478-48c3-8509-cd1bb36fe51a and then start the sync in GarminConnect app.

Update: I uploaded the old app version again because I still have to hunt some bugs :slight_smile:

Hi.

Just geting “Device incompatible to Homey WebApi” Error: -400

Fenix 6x pro (firmware 25.10)

/B

It’s a known bug in iOS GarminConnect app.
Tick ist still open at Garmin side.

If you have a HomeyPro 2023 there will be a solution using local API key in the next widget version.
Otherwise there is still no solution for iOS users.

A new version 0.2.2 is online that should work correct now with local API key on HomeyPro23.

With my new Homey 2023 I tried to log in on my Garmin with my Android phone using the Local API key option. I created my API key in Homey and pasted it in the Local API key settings together with my cloud access URL. After that I logged in with my Garmin. The login attempt was successful and I can see my Homey on my Garmin watch. But after I few minutes, when I want to check my Homey again, I get to see Error 0 and can only try to log out from Homey and log back in after that. But then again I get the same error after a few minutes. When I check my Local API key settings I see that both fields are empty.

Is this a known problem? And is their any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Daniel,

if you set the API key and cloud URL, please check if you also set the auth type in app settings (selection of “oAuth” or “API key”).
The logout function just cleares the auth token on your watch and you have to re-login via oAuth.
If you still need to authentificate in GarminConenct app, the widget still uses the oAuth version dependent on the selection in app/widget settings.

But with an Android phone you don’t need the API key. The standard oAuth should work and ensures your app is using the correct cloud URL (the can change for HP23 because of different server locations).
To try you can switch to API key in widget settings.

But the “Error 0” is a bit strange (unknown error). Is your watch still connected to your phone (perhaps some kind of disconnected issue due to energy saving)?

Thanks for the answer. Today I reinstalled the widget, and after that everything seems to work as normal. Thanks for this awesome widget!

1 Like

To all asking via Garmin app shop for new device support:
Yes, new devices will be added - next week after holidays :grin:

The Garmin widget got updated with support of new devices like Epix Pro, Fenix 7 Pro and Approach S70.